Frequent Crasher

New GoPro Hero 2

My local best buy has some new Go Pro Hero 2 cameras for sale. I had no clue they were coming out with a new one, it has leds visible from all sides to see it is operating. It has a few more capture modes and supposedly an upgraded lens. That was what it said on the package. I just bought my helmet hero two weeks ago, I am going to see if I can upgrade. I am most interested in the better lens and additional HD modes. I think it did slow motion in 3 of the 4 resolutions. It isn't even on GoPros website yet.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now,
    Someone please tell me it's not a train.
    -Cracker

Light freak

Frequent Crasher
    Here are more details:
    New lcd interface
    LEDS visible from all sides.

1080p 30 fps 127° & 170°
    960p 48 fps & 30 fps 170°
    720p 60 fps & 30 fps 170°
    WVGA 120 fps & 60 fps 170°

Photos:
    11 MP, 8MP, & 5MP
    modes single. rapid (10 shots in 1 sec), photo every 0.5,1,2,5,10,30 or 60 seconds

lens is supposedly 2x sharper
    HDMI out on camera

Most interesting to me is mention of a Wifi bacpac and wifi remote. It says "
    Long range remote control of multiple camera with wifi remote, smartphones and tablets.
    Live preview and playback of videos and photos on smartphones and tablets
    Live stream video and photos.
    and more..."

It comes with the same mounts as the helmet hero, head strap, vented helmet mount, etc.
    -Cracker

mtbr member
    I just got to try one. I have a friend that writes for techcrunch and he needed some video for his review so I got to play with it. Im a novice at using the go pro but the quality seemed really good. Ill post up his write up after he publishes the article tomorrow.

No, that's not phonetic
    That thing sounds freaking awesome. I wonder if BB screwed up and accidentally posted the info prior to the actual launch of the product. In any case, I will be very interested to get the low down on the wifi tablet connectivity when someone gets to play with one. Depending on how it works, I could see upgrading one of my units.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    published:

GoPro Releases The HD Hero2 Action Camera, All-New Imaging In The Same Rugged Housing | TechCrunch

Quote Originally Posted by danguskhan View Post
    I just got to try one. I have a friend that writes for techcrunch and he needed some video for his review so I got to play with it. Im a novice at using the go pro but the quality seemed really good. Ill post up his write up after he publishes the article tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I was far too asleep to dig it up when it posted

The uneventful video included is me riding around in Hartwick Pines in Michigan. Its fun easy fall ride but really unexciting as far as its technical aspects.
    Now that Im done helping my friend demo it, I just need to save the cash to actually go buy one! Also the BacPac screen that came with the demo one was really nice! It did not make it much bigger at all but it allowed full review and control capabilities.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Figures I just ordered a "orig" one last week. Heres the information on GoPros site: HD HERO2 Outdoor Edition

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah, I ordered my "original" Go Pro a few weeks ago. This always happens to me lol.

mtbr member
    Are these available to buy anywhere yet? I was just about to get one of the 'old' ones when I spotted this thread

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It looks like you can get them on GOPROS website.

Frequent Crasher
    Best Buy also has them, my local one had several instock. I actually traded the one I bought a few weeks ago, back in for the Hero2.
    -Cracker

mtbr member
    I just bought a GoPro from Best Buy last week, went in and returned it for a GoPro Hero 2. Im taking it out on the trails today. Im pumped!

The MTB Lab
    Hope this helps with some info: GoPro HD HERO2 – First Impressions | Mountain Bike Review

Holler if you have any questions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Got a Hero2 yesterday and did some test vids. Picture is MUCH sharper. Getting 2 more to replace the 3 Hero HD's I have is a no brainer.

g3h6o3
    Looks like a good cam, I'm tempted!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm curious how it looks on the trail under tree cover. My HD Hero looks great in the store, in the sun, under normally good conditions, but on the trail, the picture is what I would call "great for such a compact size", but not what I'd call great otherwise..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsteven View Post
    Got a Hero2 yesterday and did some test vids. Picture is MUCH sharper. Getting 2 more to replace the 3 Hero HD's I have is a no brainer.
    What kind of videos do you make that need 3 cameras? Got any examples?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    (Their website has been hammered from this news)

I'm really disappointed they didn't make it 1080p/60 but I guess the processor isn't powerful enough yet.

The wireless remote is great: (also compatible on original HD Hero)

mtbr member
    I want one so bad.

Frequent Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrblade View Post
    I'm curious how it looks on the trail under tree cover. My HD Hero looks great in the store, in the sun, under normally good conditions, but on the trail, the picture is what I would call "great for such a compact size", but not what I'd call great otherwise..
    The new sensor is supposed to have improved metering, for better low light performance.
    -Cracker

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Can the HDMI port send out signal during recording, or only for playback?

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBad View Post
    The new sensor is supposed to have improved metering, for better low light performance.
    Better, but the lack of being able to adjust the lighting settings, like the drift and contour, keeps it sort of mediocre

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by fgiraffe View Post
    Can the HDMI port send out signal during recording, or only for playback?
    It can play while hooked up. Meaning it does both of your questions

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    noticably better colors and resolution. watch in 1080p.

Anyone name the kind of car?

GoPro Hero2 daytime test 1080 - YouTube

Light freak
    pretty cool advertisement video -

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5E0Kq3f3i0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No, that's not phonetic
    That was great, but some of it must have been shot with non gopro cameras. A few of the slo-mo shots would have needed far higher than a 60fps capability. They also imply that the lens/housing is designed to provide in-focus shots underwater which was not the case with the old units.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn View Post
    I'm really disappointed they didn't make it 1080p/60 but I guess the processor isn't powerful enough yet.
    I feel the same way. If it were 1080p/60fps it would have been much more tempting for me to think about getting another one. Looks like I'll wait until the 3rd generation comes out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve77 View Post
    Are these available to buy anywhere yet? I was just about to get one of the 'old' ones when I spotted this thread
    We're not sure if/when we will have them in our USA store but for those of you living above the border we should have the GoPro Hero2 in Canada by mid to late November. The guys down in our Australian store should also be getting them around that time too, if you're from the land down under check out the GoPro Hero2 Australia page.
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams
    We'll beat any online price for mtbr.com members!

Slingin' mud
    Yeah I have been keeping an eye on eBay for them

mtbr member
    I ended up getting one directly from gopro.com and it arrived today Here's my first 30 second video, bit shaky which was my fault with the mount but happy with the quality especially as it was getting dark by the time I got out after work

mtbr member
    I had just bought the 960 a few days before the release of this one. I called Go Pro when I realized the 960 had gone down in price by $30.00 and they refunded me the difference. Pretty cool!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy View Post
    That was great, but some of it must have been shot with non gopro cameras. A few of the slo-mo shots would have needed far higher than a 60fps capability. They also imply that the lens/housing is designed to provide in-focus shots underwater which was not the case with the old units.

could these slow mo's have been achieved by using a plug in such as twixter.....
    they could shoot it at 60fps, then slow it down to 1000fps using twixter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntndogs View Post
    I had just bought the 960 a few days before the release of this one. I called Go Pro when I realized the 960 had gone down in price by $30.00 and they refunded me the difference. Pretty cool!
    How do you like the 960? Thats the one I am thinking about picking up, mainly because I dont plan on shooting in 1080p because I dont want the huge files to edit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    How do you like the 960? Thats the one I am thinking about picking up, mainly because I dont plan on shooting in 1080p because I dont want the huge files to edit.

So far I am happy with the camera, but my old I-Mac hokes on the files. It works with my laptop, but I need to figure out how to convert files to avi or something...Good excuse to upgrade the computer I guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

GoPro Hero 2 open box review

Here is a quick open box review of the GoPro Hero 2. It goes through the contents of the Outdoor Edition and shows some of the new features on the Hero 2. We'll post up a full review soon:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HalqjveX3Y8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams
    We'll beat any online price for mtbr.com members!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    pretty cool advertisement video -

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5E0Kq3f3i0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That got me so pumped up to film cool things...then realized I dont do anything cool...except mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    1985 to 1990 IROC Z with a automatic transmission.

Anyone name the kind of car?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MaukaRunner View Post
    1985 to 1990 IROC Z with a automatic transmission.

yep, 89 IROC with a 5.7, auto and 11,000 miles on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    bone stock. not a 1LE. I got another one I'm putting a 100 shot of NOS on sometime soon, just for fun. I have a 1300 hp SC/TT Ford GT, this is my fast car.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    yep, 89 IROC with a 5.7, auto and 11,000 miles on it.

Sweet! Tricked or stock? 1LE?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    bone stock. not a 1LE. I got another one I'm putting a 100 shot of NOS on sometime soon, just for fun. I have a 1300 hp SC/TT Ford GT, this is my fast car.
    I would love to see a GoPro vid from the GT! That would be awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MaukaRunner View Post
    I would love to see a GoPro vid from the GT! That would be awesome!

not a Hero2 vid but here is a 224 mph run.

Joe Dirt Motorsports Ford GT Texas Mile Oct. 2010 224.5 mph standing mile - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wow! Did the tires break loose at the top of first gear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    This is a great comparison video between Hero and Hero2. The 2 is definitely sharper and I like the color reproduction better. And there's a huge leap in low light performance. I'm going to ask Santa for one.

GoPro HD Hero vs. Hero2 Detailed Comparison - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    is this genuine raw footage comparison or has it been tweaked and corrected through editing software

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDangit View Post
    This is a great comparison video between Hero and Hero2. The 2 is definitely sharper and I like the color reproduction better. And there's a huge leap in low light performance. I'm going to ask Santa for one.

GoPro HD Hero vs. Hero2 Detailed Comparison - YouTube
    the Hero 2 is definitely sharper, but it has a very high red/orange tinge to it... though that could just be computer monitor differences
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I couldn't say if the footage has been tweaked but I assumed it was a raw footage comparison. I guess it may not be.

I wouldn't call it a high amount of orange tinge but there is a noticeably warmer cast on daylight shots. Doesn't bother me as I would normally warm up a standard daylight shot in post. And it doesn't seem as bad as that definite red cast I see in most Contour HD footage. The color in the night shots looks way better from the Hero2, assuming it hasn't been doctored.

mtbr member
    About to pull the pin on this camera! How is everyone liking it?

mtbr member
    So far I like mine. Still messing with all the different settings and seeing what works best for me. Colors and low light performance are very good.

I bike long tyme.
    I'm in the market for the Hero2.....the system requirements on the new version are saying OS X 10.5 or later.......I'm archaic and still run OS X 10.4.11. Any ideas why it wouldn't talk correctly with 10.4.11?
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Secace View Post
    I'm in the market for the Hero2.....the system requirements on the new version are saying OS X 10.5 or later.......I'm archaic and still run OS X 10.4.11. Any ideas why it wouldn't talk correctly with 10.4.11?
    10.5 was the first to really support HD video files size and be able to push the frame rate on the video cards I believe, not 100% positive there.. Does the hero have it's own editing software? or are they making u use Imovie?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

I bike long tyme.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    10.5 was the first to really support HD video files size and be able to push the frame rate on the video cards I believe, not 100% positive there.. Does the hero have it's own editing software? or are they making u use Imovie?
    That would make sense as technology has scooted along. Interestingly enough though, the original Hero HD version is rated for OS X 10.4.11 or higher. I just wonder what the Hero 2 has that initiates the move from 10.4.11 to 10.5. I don't believe the unit comes with editing software based on what GoPro shows being included in the box. I would be using iMovie on a MacBook Pro and I am sure I'd be storing all raw data files on a Glyph external hard drive as I understand the footage files tend to run large.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    honestly I don't see you having and issue as long as your computer has enough processor and Graphic card to watch HD.. the only thing I can think of is the old HD was 720 and the new one is 1080? again, just guessing

Are the Hero's using MOV files or AVI? not that that should matter..?

I've been playing with Imovie for years now and lately more intensely since getting my Contour cam... I'm gunna do a few "tips and Tricks" for Imovie soon if you are interested.. most of the stuff can be found around the web but it's scattered and I'd like to put it all in one place. anyway, back on track... If possible, you should upgrade to 10.5 if not 10.6 (if you have an intel unit) as they both have some minor system upgrades. I would stay away from Lion as I'm having issues with it as are a mess of other people.

Screw the computer, just get your cam and go play..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Hope this helps with some info: GoPro HD HERO2 &ndash; First Impressions | Mountain Bike Review

Holler if you have any questions?
    Sorry to bump an old thread.

I notice one of the videos you uploaded to Vimeo was shown at its native 960 x 480 (I think) resolution.

How did you upload the video in its native resolution without it degrading the quality?

Also could you tell me your settings you used on export? As the quality is far better/crisper than what I seem to get .

I'm using a mac - iMovie and FCPX

Many thanks

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by J273 View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread.

I notice one of the videos you uploaded to Vimeo was shown at its native 960 x 480 (I think) resolution.

How did you upload the video in its native resolution without it degrading the quality?

Also could you tell me your settings you used on export? As the quality is far better/crisper than what I seem to get .

I'm using a mac - iMovie and FCPX

Many thanks
    The 960p was uploaded raw, so no editing was done, that is exactly what is seen from the camera. You need to make sure you start and stop the camera exactly where you want the footage, so its sort of editing what you want on the fly.

You might also try using Quicktime Pro, and do selections from it, and just save the movie without doing ay exports.

Edit: 1280 x 960
    Last edited by pastajet; 01-31-2012 at 10:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    The 960p was uploaded raw, so no editing was done, that is exactly what is seen from the camera. You need to make sure you start and stop the camera exactly where you want the footage, so its sort of editing what you want on the fly.

You might also try using Quicktime Pro, and do selections from it, and just save the movie without doing ay exports.

Edit: 1280 x 960

Ok thanks....Ill trim some clips using quicktime and see what results i get.