Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Drift HD helmet camera announced.

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Launch Helmet Cams 
#1 · (Edited)
Drift (formerly known as Drift Innovation) have just announced their newest product - the Drift HD helmet camera. The new Drift HD takes all the major features from the previous HD170 Stealth model and squeezes them in to a camera that is 25% smaller. We're big fans of the Drift HD170 Stealth but have always felt that it could be a bit smaller. It looks like Drift felt the same because they have kept the overall design the same and put the camera on a diet. The new Drift HD now rivals the GoPro and Contour cameras for size and weight.

Carrying over from the Drift HD170 Stealth are the color LCD screen, wireless remote control, rotatable 170 degree wide angle lens, digital zoom, rechargeable battery and full HD recording. The camera is also built with the same rugged rubberized exterior. The only feature that doesn't carry over from the HD170 Stealth is the optional long-life battery (which is too big to fit in to the Drift HD).

Apart from the size difference, another welcome change is the introduction of a replaceable lens cover. Now if you damage the lens cover in a crash or through rough treatment you can easily replace it by undoing the 4 x retaining screws. The TV output has also been upgraded from a composite output to a proper HDMI output. The microphone input has also been upgraded from a proprietary connection to a standard 2.5mm input. The sensor has also had an upgrade and the Drift HD now takes 9MP still photos which is the best out of all the helmet cameras out there.

We managed to get our hands on a pre-production model from Drift and have been playing with it for a while now. There is a lot to like about the Drift HD: it's super easy to use, it's small and lightweight and it has a bunch of well thought out features. The only downside is that it isn't depth rated for watersports (ie it's water resistant and will handle all day use in the rain but isn't designed for wakeboarding, etc), however Drift say that there is a waterproof housing in the works that should be available in the next couple of months.

Retail pricing for the Drift HD is set to US$369 and it is expected to be available late August 2011. We have a coupon code discount for MTBR members; just send me a PM and I'll reply with the code.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep, will be interesting to see what the video quality is like on the production units - based on what we've seen it will be much the same as the Contour+ and GoPro camera. In terms of features, the Contour+ has more "tech" features like GPS and bluetooth, where as the Drift HD has advantages like the LCD screen (which you can play clips back on and delete clips, something you can't do with the Contour+ via bluetooth) and remote. The Contour+ is also $499 compared to $369 for the Drift HD - we'll put together a side by side shootout as soon as the production cameras come out.

#4 ·
I really like the look of the new contour+, but I don't really need GPS and bluetooth. I have a GoPro 960 and I would love something that has an external mic and the remote of the drift is a really nice selling point...and a over a hundred less is a very good thing as well. I look forward to your shootout.

#6 ·
i'll be interested to see the side-by-side shootout too. they seem to be almost at par w/ each other, with some differences in available features. i kinda like the profile of the contour+ the best, the go pro the least. $500 seem to be a bit much though. and from what i've read, the gopro seem to have the slight advantage on the video quality, or at least over the previous models of the contour. the drift's profile is also nice, and that built in lcd is def a plus, but i haven't really heard/read/seen it before until i ran into the launch helmet cams site.

#10 ·
I have the stealth, and I am very excited to hear about this! You guys have pretty much listened to all the complaints people had and addressed them! Will be pm-ing you.

Also what speed micro sd card will will need with this? I know that the class is going to have an effect...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.