Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RideDirt

New question here. Need help with GoPro chest mount angle. Video inside

So i have the new GoPro HD Hero 2 and i also got the chest mount to go with it. So today was my first time using the chest mount , but as you can see in the video i have supplied the angle is bad. I mounted it like normal , without my LcdPac on the gopro . The view seems too low?

How do you guys mount your cameras with the chest mount? Or how high up is the chest mount actually on your body? Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated

Here is a short clip , nothing fancy , just a pretty rocky downhill section in a local trail system .

RAMAPO MOUNTAIN , SKYLINE DR. NEW JERSEY on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    you don't have to use the software to turn the video. There is an option on the camera to record upside down.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I don't have a Go Pro but I've heard a lot of people flip it upside down then right side up it in the software ..?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

RideDirt
    Hmm sounds like a good idea actually , I'll have to try that out next time .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chikai View Post
    you don't have to use the software to turn the video. There is an option on the camera to record upside down.
    This is true for the first gen 5M GoPro and I remember reading that the next gen HD unit didn't have this option - did they fix that in the firmware or the newer HD units?

mtbr member
    I have an old SD wide gopro and a newer HD one and they both have the option to "flip" the video so it records normal when upside down.

For the chest mount I find if you mount the camera upside down and point it up toward your chin as far as you can, it records perfectly positioned video.

Here is a sample:
    taylor mountain - YouTube

RideDirt
    Ok I will give it a try tomorrow .. I'll be out testing again on the same trails ... So basically I just mount it upside down and turn the camera up towards my chin rathern the downwards correct?

Also while doing this mounting method , should I still enable to option to record upside down on the gopro?

mtbr member
    I use mine with it the right way round but tilted up as far as it will go. Although it looks like you would be taking picures of the sky when stood up without the bike when riding it's at the right angle. Only problem i have had with this is that it sometimes knocks against the plastic of the chest mount which can cause either a creeking or knocking sound. ( can be bad on the rocky stuff!)
    I've found you can gauge the angle or feild of view better on the chest mount than you can on your helmet plus the video footage seems faster.

mtbr member
    enable the "UPd" record mode, then mount the camera upside down and tilt it up as far as it goes.When standing it will look like it is going to record you helmet visor, but when your riding it is the perfect angle, even when standing on descents.

You might need to do minor tweets from that position, but it will get you real close if not perfect, even if you record in 720p or 1080p. I use 720p 60fps on mine.

www.swampclub.org
    Guys,
    There are pages and pages of "custom gopro mounts", but the main one is here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/videos-helmet...ts-662919.html
    "Wish not so much to live long, as to live well." - Benjamin Franklin

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyi View Post
    Guys,
    http://forums.mtbr.com/videos-helmet...ts-662919.html
    Thanks but i wasnt looking for a custom mount? I was seeing how people that actually use the chest mount record ..

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    enable the "UPd" record mode, then mount the camera upside down and tilt it up as far as it goes.When standing it will look like it is going to record you helmet visor, but when your riding it is the perfect angle, even when standing on descents.

You might need to do minor tweets from that position, but it will get you real close if not perfect, even if you record in 720p or 1080p. I use 720p 60fps on mine.

Thanks a lot man , i will try a few different ways . I have the LCDPac so i can record a quick 10 second run , review it, and then adjust from there . I record in 720p @ 30fps , only cuz i dont do any slow motion edits in my vids . In time tho i will

Rolling
    The camera needs to be mounted upside down on the chesty mount.

Although I upgraded the firmware to be able rotate the video on my gopro when it's taken, I still choose to take the video upside down so that the camera can be tilted properly. The reason being is that I like to pop off the camera and use it on a tripod any given moment. Changing the setting on the camera during a ride is not only time consuming, it's prone to making a major mistake. That is the way I film.

Since you should be editing your video anyway, you should be able to rotate 180 easily during the process.

www.swampclub.org
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Thanks but i wasnt looking for a custom mount? I was seeing how people that actually use the chest mount record ..
    (REALLY?!)
    Do you really think that the only answers to your questions would be in this miniscule post? Did you bother to search the forums? If you had, you would have seen quite a bit of information on this. Lee and others have been discussing GoPro recording for years.
    BTW...
    Your answer (with photos and instructions) is here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/videos-helmet...os-547174.html

RideDirt
    (REALLY?!)
    Do you really think that the only answers to your questions would be in this miniscule post? Did you bother to search the forums? If you had, you would have seen quite a bit of information on this. Lee and others have been discussing GoPro recording for years.
    BTW...
    Listen man , i dont need you in my thread being a ******bag ok , and yes i did find the answers i was looking for that was provided by the above users that were kind enough to just respond with a quick and simple answer. No need for you to come stepping on my toes here so dismiss yourself . Thanks !

mtbr member
    Watched your video. ( ok, it's a little downwards) I guess your using the plastic toggle that came with your camera to stop vibration and knocking. ( fits inbetween the clip) I use electrical tape to stop any movment between the clips as well to help reduce clunking, clicky noises.
    The first time i used mine i did the same thing! Got home, ( after a 200 MILE DRIVE!)watched the clip and thought bugger.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by brader5 View Post
    Watched your video. ( ok, it's a little downwards) I guess your using the plastic toggle that came with your camera to stop vibration and knocking. ( fits inbetween the clip) I use electrical tape to stop any movment between the clips as well to help reduce clunking, clicky noises.
    The first time i used mine i did the same thing! Got home, ( after a 200 MILE DRIVE!)watched the clip and thought bugger.
    LOL ya , ill be uploading the video edit i did today . Its def bouncy but the angle is perfect. Next step is to stop all the bouncing around it does on the rocky chunky stuff . Eh , im getting there slowly but surely lol .

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    There's lots of hints on how to stop the bouncing around but since you're so good at searching no doubt you'll find the answer yourself
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    There's lots of hints on how to stop the bouncing around but since you're so good at searching no doubt you'll find the answer yourself
    I already got it covered , thanks for your useless post tho I'll be doing all adjustments on the next trip out , this time it was too late .

www.swampclub.org
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Listen man , i dont need you in my thread being a ******bag ok , and yes i did find the answers i was looking for that was provided by the above users that were kind enough to just respond with a quick and simple answer. No need for you to come stepping on my toes here so dismiss yourself . Thanks !
    Ok... My turn...

www.swampclub.org
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post

It still amazes me that trying to help some people makes them angry. It must be an ego thing.

RideDirt
    RAMAPO MOUNTAIN PART 2 on Vimeo .. Chest mount was a bit loose I got the angle as you can see .

mtbr member
    (REALLY?!)
    BTW...
    You weren't trying to help, you were being a smelly ****** bag over a poor guy just trying to find some answers. There's a nice way about helping someone out, the way everyone but you has replied. Then there's the super ****** way, the way you replied! "Do you really think that the only answers to your questions would be in this miniscule post? Did you bother to search the forums? If you had, you would have seen quite a bit of information on this." That sounds extremely pompous! Do us all a favor and start your own little thread were you and all you pompous a$$ friends can jack off together and leave this poor dude alone that's doing nothing but simply trying to enjoy our biking world! Feel free to "straight up diss me" with what I'm sure will be a well devised and thought out reply, I'm sure it will be very entertaining!
    "too weird to live, too rare to die"

www.swampclub.org
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmackie View Post
    You weren't trying to help, you were being a smelly ****** bag over a poor guy just trying to find some answers. There's a nice way about helping someone out, the way everyone but you has replied. Then there's the super ****** way, the way you replied! "Do you really think that the only answers to your questions would be in this miniscule post? Did you bother to search the forums? If you had, you would have seen quite a bit of information on this." That sounds extremely pompous! Do us all a favor and start your own little thread were you and all you pompous a$$ friends can jack off together and leave this poor dude alone that's doing nothing but simply trying to enjoy our biking world! Feel free to "straight up diss me" with what I'm sure will be a well devised and thought out reply, I'm sure it will be very entertaining!
    Wow! Maybe you should try re-reading what you THINK you read!
    THAT was NOT my reponse to his new thread. THIS was my response:

"Guys,
    Custom GoPro mounts"

What you posted was my reponse to his response to my response.

While I am on the subject, besides his , he also claimed that his post had nothing to do with "custom GoPro mounts" when in fact, he was asking how to "customize" his mount so it would shoot at the proper angle.

To reiterate; maybe you should read the entire thread before you pass judgement on a single post.
    BTW... What is up with some of you people feeling the need to call people "****" names?

RideDirt
    I wasnt asking about custom mounts or how to customize the camera mount.. I wanted to know what position most users have it mounted since the first time I didn't have the camera mounted upside down . Customizing means modifying something from its original state of form , which in this case I wasn't doing nor was looking to do . I just needed to know how users cameras were mounted ... If you are not answering my question stop posting in here noob.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast