Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No, that's not phonetic

Good job! My final Utah video: the eponymous Slickrock Swamp Trail

This is a classic ride at the entrance to Zion National Park. It has sage flats, beautiful views of Zion, fun singletrack, nice cacti, and of course a cattail swamp in the middle of a beautiful slickrock, all above the town of Rockville. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    very nice video..i love the camera angles

mtbr member
    Excellent video! How you get your camera so stable?

mtbr member
    Awesome video man!

Though I honestly liked the music better, who was that?

Is that your wife that rides with you? I gotta get my wife to watch her ride, she'd really inspire her.

Great job all around, I really enjoyed it!

thecentralscrutinizer
    WOW!!! That is an awesome video!! Loved everything about it.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr dismember

Great!

One of the best videos I've seen in a loooong time! Nice filming, editing, riding and scenery. And thanks for posting good quality.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I really enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.
    btw. How did you achieve that camera angle that appeared to be on board but shot from higher than a helmet mount ?

No, that's not phonetic
    It's all done with one GoPro HD, and I stop periodically to move it around. I have a GoPro seatpost/handlebar mount for some of the seatpost shots. I have a GoPro Chesty that I added a fiberglass rod to so that the mount would not bounce so much. The rod is zip-tied to the plastic plate in front and then it goes up the left shoulder strap and is attached there too. The dumb design aspect to the Chesty is that it does little to stop the plastic plate from tilting up and down on your chest when going over bumps. The rod stops a lot of this movement. For the odd angles on the bike I use a RAM clamp mount. You can get some ideas in this thread. I use a GoPro tripod adapter, and put it on a RAM camera head.

For the "helicopter" or skimming-the-ground shots I mount the camera on an extension. It's either a stick a pick up along the trail, or if I have planned ahead I use a telescoping ski pole. Obviously this requires you to hand-hold the camera and ride one-handed, so you only get the weird angles when the trail is pretty smooth or on climbs. Aiming the camera is a bit general, but with a 170 degree field of view, it's hard to miss. The panning-then-following behind shots are done using the technique mentioned above while stationary, and then following the riders either on foot for a short distance, or on my bike. You need a cooperative riding partner since all this requires regular stops and moving the camera around on the bike. Some of the stability is inherent in using a sort of boom with an inertial mass on the end, and the rest of the smooth movement comes from Apple's iMovie '09 built in stabilization feature. It tends to soften the focus a bit, but the stabilizing results can be impressive.

My wife is an awesome rider and humors my little side interests like video and photography.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 04-27-2010 at 06:23 PM.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Yout video is top notch.. very good.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    It's all done with one GoPro HD, and I stop periodically to move it around. I have a GoPro seatpost/handlebar mount for some of the seatpost shots. I have a GoPro Chesty that I added a fiberglass rod to so that the mount would not bounce so much. The rod is zip-tied to the plastic plate in front and then it goes up the left shoulder strap and is attached there too. The dumb design aspect to the Chesty is that it does little to stop the plastic plate from tilting up and down on your chest when going over bumps. The rod stops a lot of this movement. For the odd angles on the bike I use a RAM clamp mount. You can get some ideas in this thread. I use a GoPro tripod adapter, and put it on a RAM camera head.

For the "helicopter" or skimming-the-ground shots I mount the camera on an extension. It's either a stick a pick up along the trail, or if I have planned ahead I use a telescoping ski pole. Obviously this requires you to hand-hold the camera and ride one-handed, so you only get the weird angles when the trail is pretty smooth or on climbs. Aiming the camera is a bit general, but with a 170 degree field of view, it's hard to miss. The panning-then-following behind shots are done using the technique mentioned above while stationary, and then following the riders either on foot for a short distance, or on my bike. You need a cooperative riding partner since all this requires regular stops and moving the camera around on the bike, but my wife tends to humor me. Some of the stability is inherent in using a sort of boom with an inertial mass on the end, and the rest of the smooth movement comes from iMovie's built in stabilization feature. It tends to soften the focus a bit, but the stabilizing results can be impressive.

My wife is an awesome rider and humors my little side interests like video and photography.
    Thanks for sharing, I aspire to make something of that quality some day. Awesome

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Standing ovation from my cubicle

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Great, innovative video!