mtbr member

mtb best location mount for POV camera --- handlebars, helmet or chest/shoulder?

I just got a Garmin VIRB, irrelevant to the subject matter, and I've been experimenting on mounting locations. So far I've done shoulder mounted without much luck (pointed too low) and handlebar mounted which seems to be too bouncy. Haven't tried helmet mounted yet but, there are many options for helmet mount too. Just looking to find which location offers the most interesting perspective.

What seems to be the best option for mounting a POV camera for mountain biking?

banned
    Nov 2013
    It comes down to personal preference. Some folks like to see cables flopping around while the bike bounces with a headtube mount. Some folks like to watch ET arms flail about as a chest mount shakes all over the place. Some folks like to stick a camera on top of the helmet and capture really shaky video in teletubby mode.

IMO (that personal preference thing again) smooth helmetcam video captured with the camera as close to the head's center of mass as possible + good technique while following another rider through interesting terrain is the best 1st person POV (which still needs to be creatively edited and/or mixed with other POVs to be interesting for more than 30 seconds).