mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Mounting Questions with GoPro HD Hero 960...

hi, i just got the hd hero 960 and took it out once to play with it, and would like some advice on mounting..for normal mtn biking videos is it better to mount on my stem or handlebars? also, do you do anything to further dampen the shock like thin rubber or should i just leave it as is with the bike mount? also, on the first ride i had a few instances where the mount would move a little on the bumps even though i was careful to tighten it down as much as i could by hand. is there anything i can do to tighten even further (use screwdriver instead of tightening by hand, etc) or do these mounts just tend to slip a bit over time?

thanks, this looks like a ton of fun!

No, that's not phonetic
    I would not put rubber under the mount. It could actually lead to more movement. The clip-on gopro mounts have a little wiggle in them. Put a layer of tape across the whole face of the mount before sliding the snap-in shoe in place. That helps a lot.

Helmet footage is often the most stable (assuming you hold your head as steady as you can). After that, anything that features a part of the bike prominently in the foreground will give the illusion of stability (there is a fixed reference point in the shot that does not wiggle relative to the camera's view). Some of the worst footage comes from poorly executed chest mounts. No matter what you do, VARY the camera's viewpoint OFTEN. There is nothing as excruciatingly boring as 10 minutes of the same view, even if shot on different sections of trail.

Don't be discouraged if the first couple of trips out with the camera don't yield the results you want. Getting good footage takes a lot of time, practice, and patience. There is a steep learning curve at first.

If you want a few ideas concerning different points of view on the bike, take a peek at this 3-minute vid:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    wow, that's an amazing video! i'll take your words to heart on changing the location of the camera and anything else i hear...should be a fun learning experience, hopefully not taking away from the riding itself!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How were the "fly by" shots achieved? RC helicopter video?

No, that's not phonetic
    It will take away from the riding experience in the sense that you should simply treat a few rides as "shoot" rides and expect to stop a lot and fiddle with the camera often. Prepare your riding buddy for the idea of riding a certain section of trail 2-4 times, in multiple locations, until you get the shot you want. Dedicate a couple of rides to patiently setting the shots up and collecting the footage you want. Doing it as a rushed, second-thought on a "normal" ride just leads to rushed and second-thought video.

All the overhead moving shots were done by setting up a zip line:

Here's another quick vid showcasing different angles:

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the follow up. That's slick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    and those are really fat tires!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wow, tscheezy, would really love to see more how-tos of your custom mounts. I've been brainstorming a helmet boom mount similar to the one you have in your videos. Would really appreciate if you wouldnt mind sharing. That video showing your zip line mount is great!