Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

More of a dilemma

Just saw the Contour+ on Amazon (and a couple of other sites) for $399.99. The Drift HD is $369.99.

Amazon's prices have been all over the place in the last week so I'm thinking it may be time to jump on one of these cameras. The dilemma is... which one, given they're now basically the same price??

Anyone have any links to comparison videos?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I've played with both the Contour HD 1080 and the Drift HD 170, the drift has a mess of really nice features, but it always seems WAY blurry to me compared to the Contour (and the Hero) Go watch their own demo reels.. the Drifts seems less,.. focused, it looks mildly blurry... At first I thought it was the web compression but the live footage I had was the same...

If you're getting the contour and have a Smart Phone the advantages the Drift has go away as the Contours have the Blue tooth to the phone now.. wicked nice feature. Do like the remote switch the Drift has.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Yeah, but this is the Drift HD, not the 170 and it's been upgraded, so, that's what I'm curious about.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Yeah, but this is the Drift HD, not the 170 and it's been upgraded, so, that's what I'm curious about.
    ya, but it's still "foggy" looking... like I said, check out their demo vids... there is a thread here even with the new one compared to the Hero 2 I believe,...

don't get me wrong, it's still a cool cam! and I do LOVE some of it's features... but clearer-sharper video, Blue tooth to Smart Phone, GPS enabled, Smaller (though not much with the newer Drift, but still a tad) .. I'd probably go with a Contour

Again either cam is a fun choice and you'll have a blast with the thing!!
    Last edited by thomllama; 12-04-2011 at 07:02 AM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    OH ya, and Contour has their own upload site that uses GPS, mapping and such for your videos.. I like it a LOT better than Say youtube or Vimeo...

mtbr member
    Well, to be honest, the GPS function isn't that big a deal for me, nor is the proprietary site you have to use. It's pretty cool and all, but I use a standalone GPS with its own mapping software.

So while it's nice to have that, and if I get a Contour I'll certainly use it, the camera part is what's important to me. Now, if they had a standalone editing/mapping package....
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ........ nor is the proprietary site you have to use. .............
    nothing is "Proprietary" the video is standard .mov format and the GPS I believe can be exported to all the standard formats.

So while it's nice to have that, and if I get a Contour I'll certainly use it, the camera part is what's important to me. Now, if they had a standalone editing/mapping package....
    they do have their little application for editing, but it's stupid simple, basically useless.

Cam wise, the Contour takes better video quality.

If you aren't looking for all the features, get the Contour GPS, basically a stripped down Plus for $100 less, or just do like I did and get the Contour 1080HD for around $100 and use the extra $$$$ for software, mounts, cool crap...
    just a thought

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    nothing is "Proprietary" the video is standard .mov format and the GPS I believe can be exported to all the standard formats.

they do have their little application for editing, but it's stupid simple, basically useless.

Cam wise, the Contour takes better video quality.

If you aren't looking for all the features, get the Contour GPS, basically a stripped down Plus for $100 less, or just do like I did and get the Contour 1080HD for around $100 and use the extra $$$$ for software, mounts, cool crap...
    just a thought
    Well, by proprietary, I meant the only way to display the video with GPS trace is on their site and their system. If there's a way to do that in a stand alone app that produces a video you can share wherever, iwell that's something I didn't know... and would be a big plus.

As for better video quality, that's my number one priority. The new cameras, in theory, have better picture quality. Are the Roam, HD or GPS models giving the same picture quality as the +?

And is the HD's picture as good as the Contour?
    Last edited by skiahh; 12-04-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    they are all basically the same, I do think the Plus has a new-better lens so if you are looking to do Pro video's it might be worth it but if you are just Making HD vid's for Utube... I doubt you'd notice the diff. I just did a video Mix where we had 2 Cams. I shot in HD 1280x720 and he shot in 960x640.. using Imovie to do the edit, it's hard to tell where each is.. though if you are looking for it you can tell. as I exported at 1280x720 so there is some very minor Pixelation where it blew it up...

here's the vid if you want to see it.. make sure you click the middle "size Square" and scroll it up to 720HD
    Lewis and Clark-ing in Nehantic Nov 2011.mov - YouTube

Again either Cam will be fine, just every video I have seen made with the Drift's has looked out of focus to me...

mtbr member
    Wound up with a Roam as a Christmas gift. That Amazon limited time code for $89 was too much for my frugal wife to resist! So to start, at least, it's Contour.

Amazon's prices are pretty amazing. I saw the + down to as low as $388 for a while, but now it's back up to $500 again! That's a damn big swing in pricing. Makes you wonder why it's so much now if they can sell it for $388....

I'll use the Roam for the foreseeable future, and since it was just $90, I can still add a "higher end" camera if I still feel the need down the road!

Now if the snow would just clear off the trails....
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Wound up with a Roam as a Christmas gift. That Amazon limited time code for $89 was too much for my frugal wife to resist! So to start, at least, it's Contour.

Amazon's prices are pretty amazing. I saw the + down to as low as $388 for a while, but now it's back up to $500 again! That's a damn big swing in pricing. Makes you wonder why it's so much now if they can sell it for $388....

I'll use the Roam for the foreseeable future, and since it was just $90, I can still add a "higher end" camera if I still feel the need down the road!

Now if the snow would just clear off the trails....
    snow rides make good vids!!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    hey skiaah,

Too late to see this but both cameras suffer from pisspoor mounts. Unless you get RAM mounts or try this the options aren't the greatest.

Contour+ is slightly smaller

Both have approx the same IQ with the Drift HD having the best dark light performance imo
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    hey skiaah,

Too late to see this but both cameras suffer from pisspoor mounts. Unless you get RAM mounts or try this the options aren't the greatest.

Contour+ is slightly smaller

Both have approx the same IQ with the Drift HD having the best dark light performance imo
    ya.. the good thing is the ROAM has a regular 1/4-20 threaded mount built in no need to for the stupid $20 slip on one.. easy to take plastic pipe and glue/cut and just throw a bolt through to make a mess of different mounts. Or get regular threaded ROM mounts

Also the low profile mounts that come with the roam are pretty nice for Tie wrap units. Just need to knock a little notch front and back for the tie wrap to sit in and clear the cam's body when it slips on.

honestly the GoPro has one better mount being the Chest mount and it doesn't come with in most cases. And honestly from what I've seen the chesty is the only thing I'd like to have a GoPro over the contour.. Mounting the GoPro everywhere else it's just a big clumsy box.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    It's possible to chest mount the Contour and Drift but its not easy fyi. That price on the Contour ROAM is a killer deal
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    It's possible to chest mount the Contour and Drift but its not easy fyi. That price on the Contour ROAM is a killer deal
    ya.. but it's a pain and I swear it looks like a sternum buster .. just sticks out WAY to far .. one superman impression and man,.. you'll be in the hospital for awhile!!

mtbr member
    Thanks, guys.

Personally, I don't like the videos from the chest mounts. At least not for biking. The arms that stick out look long and gangly... like something out of ET or some other alien creature! So I'm not worried about a chest mount for riding. Not sure where else I'd use a chest mount over a helmet, goggle or somewhere on the bike.

Sizewise, the + is actually a bit larger than the Roam. It's 2mm shorter, but 3mm wider. Doing the math, the volume is more on the +. But we're not talking much, so it's a non-issue, really. And the Drift is the smallest of the bunch, volume-wise.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    RE: GPS Data from the contourGPS

There is an option to export the data from the storyteller software into:

csv
    txt
    gpx

Ive plugged it into Google Earth, its pretty neat.

In any case, because you already have a GPS you should decide between having:

+ vs ROAM

replaceable battery or non-replaceable battery
    720p60FPS (this lets you use real slo mo)

I personally think its a lot of money to spend on these cameras that don't really have great image quality.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Since the Driftt HD170 Stealth can be had on Amazon for $160 with extra capacity spare battery, its a no brainer($89 Roam deal is gone IRC) unless you need Contour only features. Also, re: video quality, none of the professional review/comparisons(HotRod Mag, MTBR and one other) found the Drift video blurrier than its competition. Like the comp, it does suffer from jello artifacts etc but most reviews said it was the best of the big three in that respect and had night vision setting and the Stealth does 60fps 720p, so it only comes up short compared to the new HD and Hero2, both of which cost nearly twice as much
    Last edited by crossup; 12-29-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 100% non stock 29 lbs
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2009
    another point too, is most of the comparisons we see are for stock units with default settings. My Drift for example came with rev. 08 firmware and they are 10 updates beyond that now at v .28. The updates add features and improve performance.
    My point is all these units can do better than the tests show...we need a review with latest firmware and comparisons with default and optimal settings. Until we have some, only those who have tried all of these will really know how they compare.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    look at this video... this was all updated at the time of recording, tried just about every adjustment was recorded in HD 720 at 30fps and this was the best it could do. if you watch closely too you'll notice the focus point seems to be just low and left, not center. watch it at 720, really notice how blurry/not sharp the people are. You can say that U-tube compressed or what ever but the raw footage isn't any better. My Contour videos are far sharper and with much less setting hassles. I have another friend who's got a Drift 17HD and his footage looks the same. It's not the worst don't get me wrong, but I'll take the video quality of the Contour HD or ROAM over the 170 any day. I haven't played with the newer model but from all the videos I have seen using it they all seem blurry. almost like the lens isn't right? anyway, if you got a Drift, they work, just people looking at getting one now need to really compare videos and features... the Drift's do have the best set up by far of all 3 major players! really do love the screen and the wrist watch on-off switch is awesome!

Taco Bell Trail - YouTube

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Also, if you look at all his other Drift 170HD videos they are all the same. this image really makes the focal point stand out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    you maybe completely right in your conclusions, however, the one thing I'm not going to do is judge based on anything posted by users(video wise), except the raw footage.
    Mine(replacement) will be here tomorrow and then I will know if it has focus issues etc

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup View Post
    you maybe completely right in your conclusions, however, the one thing I'm not going to do is judge based on anything posted by users(video wise), except the raw footage.
    Mine(replacement) will be here tomorrow and then I will know if it has focus issues etc
    That's a good idea for sure... hey, it's still a decent Cam and like I keep saying the features WAY surpass that of either the other two.. i have taken his raw vids he recorded at 1080 and shrank them down to 720 and they were a pretty decent. Either way it's all fun

post up some vids

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok, Amazon got it to me a day early and I can say so far I can detect no issue with off center focus.
    Also upgrading the firmware made a huge difference with the low light perf. With v.18 firmware, low light setting struggled to work in my house. With v.28 it was bright and much better without even using the low light mode. Did see a lot of what I'd call noise but I'd expect that since they are just boosting gain/sensitivity.
    I'll shot some roadie video tomorrow and see how she does in sunlight...

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by crossup View Post
    Ok, With v.18 firmware, low light setting struggled to work in my house. With v.28.
    what model you got? the 170 is only version 1.6.x

you got the Stealth model huh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast