mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Looking for constructive criticism

Hey, y'all. I know nothing about video editing and would be interested your honest feedback on this video if you have the time. Don't worry about hurting my feelings. Constructive criticism is so valuable!

https://youtu.be/VMfPNlXS71Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cycologist
    Intro was way too long, a few quick cuts for setting are good but I don't really care what your steering wheel, etc. looks like and it didn't make me feel like "I was there". I'm not sure what I think about the camera view, kind of interesting but kind of annoying when your arms got in the way.

TBH, I'm not a fan of trail videos. I'll look at them briefly just to get an idea of the trail but I find them to be only something like 10% of the experience of actually riding so they don't do much for me. I watched to about the 2 minute mark them pushed to the end to see if anything was different. Despite all this, it was a much better first edit than I was expecting.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Intro was way too long, a few quick cuts for setting are good but I don't really care what your steering wheel, etc. looks like and it didn't make me feel like "I was there". I'm not sure what I think about the camera view, kind of interesting but kind of annoying when your arms got in the way.

TBH, I'm not a fan of trail videos. I'll look at them briefly just to get an idea of the trail but I find them to be only something like 10% of the experience of actually riding so they don't do much for me. I watched to about the 2 minute mark them pushed to the end to see if anything was different. Despite all this, it was a much better first edit than I was expecting.
    Thanks for the honest feedback, Chazpat. This is very helpful.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I actually think you did a very great job on your edit - I can tell you put some thought into it. Nice stabilized chest cam is a plus - the intro is a wee long but I didn't find it too distracting - you are in a really scenic place and even with the long intro - the scenery helped keep it interesting.

The general rule I try to do is 3 - 5 minutes for the video - any longer and people tend to drop off (there are exceptions though - I have seen popular Youtubers come out with 12 min or more videos of just chest POV and they get lots of views.

I thought the music choice was nice. I would have cut out some of the intro - give some good teasers in the intro but you want to get to the meat of the video before folks drop off - that is a delicate game of course. I had no problem with the intro - but others would.

In the end, just have fun making your videos and be creative. Keep sharing! I subscribed to your channel and look forward to seeing more of your videos.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks, Lawson. I really appreciate the detailed feedback!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Welcome - also watch other people's videos and you can gather a wealth of knowledge from how they do it - what to do and what not to do.

But in the end, the video is about your own creativity - you don't have to be BKXC, or the Singletrack Sampler, or Seth's Bike Hacks - just find your own niche and be yourself. Not everyone will like your videos no matter how much time and effort you put into them - some folks won't like the music. Some won't like your socks.. Don't let that fray you from being creative

I do small trail videos to vacation films on my bike rides. Been making videos since 2009 and feel I have done better now than when I first started out. Tried new things and stepped out of the "normal" box on some projects.

My long films are once or twice a year when I go somewhere epic and try to make the film more focused on the experience as much as the riding - pictures of stuff in the area and various film clips of campsites, restaraunts, and disperse them in between the riding clips of the various trails I rode on the trip. Here is my 2016 Fruita Trip video - just to give you some ideas I have done.

I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member

Hope

Heya MTB nomad!

First off great job putting a video together, uploading it for the world to see, and then asking for feedback. All of those steps individually are challenging / daunting so I applaud you! So here is my feedback. Keep in mind I am no expert and these are just my opinions as a viewer / amateur YouTuber.

The good stuff: Video quality is excellent. Some of the shots you have in the intro look amazing. I LOVE the trail overlay with the elevation / miles. I'm very interested to hear how you pulled that off and synced the mile counts it to the footage.

I love the outro. I like when videos have time to breath and I think you did a great job with that.

The stuff I'd change: The intro is too long for my taste. We don't get a glimpse of your bike until 21 seconds into the video, and even then it's on the back of your camper. The title card doesn't come until 1:15 and that's also the first shot we see of you on the bike. That's a long time to hold the viewer's attention and hope the stick around.

I also have a love / hate relationship with music in ride videos. I think a little is good, but too much can really be distracting. I'd be curious to re-watch your ride without the background music and see if it helps or hurts.

Lastly, I think the narration could use a little personality. If you sound excited and into what you are talking about the audience will come along for the ride. That being said, you were very clear and easy to understand which is a big plus.

---

I think that's about it. Again great job putting this together and keep it up!

Last edited by jordanbyron; 05-05-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Add signature

Rabid Lana fan
    I liked it, man! Nicely done.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thank you for your thoughtful feedback, Jordan. It is very helpful. I agree with you on music. I don't think I'll use much in the future.

The overlay was added in Garmin's VIRB Edit software. You can use gpx tracks from the camera, gps, or phone to use in the overlay.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hey MTB Nomad thanks for sharing the video. I am in Australia and would give my left nut to spend some quality time riding the trails you guys have in the US so a video like this is a nice window into the culture/trails/MTB scene in general over there. I like stuff like this as I look at it and think when I take my 3 months off will I ride there?

So like you I am getting into posting my own videos and as a result have a few ideas/suggestions, feel free to ignore them as you see fit.

Firstly, your editing skills are good, the continuity was fine and it flowed nicely enough, the music worked and the audio ducking for the voice overs was nicely done.

For me the thing was the excessive POV. Like others have mentioned it can get boring real fast unless you have something super special. I feel you need to put in more cuts of other things. The shot of you taking a shot of the flowers for example. I don't want to see you taking the shot, I want to see the shot of the flowers. The other thing was you were riding in what looked to be a pretty stunning place yet you never showed me!!!! Stop every now and then, show the country side, show yourself sometimes, even put the camera down and film yourself riding past. This can be a pain in the arse I know but you are either serious about filming or you aren't. I don't mean that to sound harsh but it's true, anyone can do a POV movie these days, to set yours apart you need to make the effort.

You are telling a story about your ride in Sedona but as others mentioned we hardly saw the bike. You told the first part well, I don't mind the long intro personally as you are telling the story of going there then riding (It's not just a video about riding but an adventure from the start) but the bike is a big part of your adventure, you may not have been there otherwise so show your bike from time to time.

Anyway mate as I said these are suggestions and I too am no pro at this video thing so feel free to disregard any or all I've said. I hope this is constructive as I assure you I am not trying to offend or insult.

Cheers Scott.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    [QUOTE=EsPeGe;13175550

For me the thing was the excessive POV. Like others have mentioned it can get boring real fast unless you have something super special. I feel you need to put in more cuts of other things. The shot of you taking a shot of the flowers for example. I don't want to see you taking the shot, I want to see the shot of the flowers. The other thing was you were riding in what looked to be a pretty stunning place yet you never showed me!!!! Stop every now and then, show the country side, show yourself sometimes, even put the camera down and film yourself riding past. This can be a pain in the arse I know but you are either serious about filming or you aren't. I don't mean that to sound harsh but it's true, anyone can do a POV movie these days, to set yours apart you need to make the effort.

Cheers Scott.[/QUOTE]

I agree for the most part - definitely want some external shots and if you are by yourself it is alot easier to do - in group rides not so easy as most folks want to ride the trail and don't want to stop every so often for you to set up the shot and all that. If you are in a group, you will have to have some cooperative riding buddies if you want to get a lot of external riding shots.

What I generally do is strap one of my GoPro's to them or their bikes to get the external shots so you can get both in at the same time - yes it is technically POV but it also gives you external as well as you have a rider in the shot...providing you are not the slowest person like I am.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I enjoyed it. I watched the other 3 you have uploaded as well while pedaling on the stationary. I thought the editing was good and really it didn't seem too long for me. I liked your geological observations/comments on the NM rides and I think I may have enjoyed those more as well as the McDowell ride. Thanks for uploading!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by EsPeGe View Post
    Hey MTB Nomad thanks for sharing the video. I am in Australia and would give my left nut to spend some quality time riding the trails you guys have in the US so a video like this is a nice window into the culture/trails/MTB scene in general over there. I like stuff like this as I look at it and think when I take my 3 months off will I ride there?

So like you I am getting into posting my own videos and as a result have a few ideas/suggestions, feel free to ignore them as you see fit.

Firstly, your editing skills are good, the continuity was fine and it flowed nicely enough, the music worked and the audio ducking for the voice overs was nicely done.

You are telling a story about your ride in Sedona but as others mentioned we hardly saw the bike. You told the first part well, I don't mind the long intro personally as you are telling the story of going there then riding (It's not just a video about riding but an adventure from the start) but the bike is a big part of your adventure, you may not have been there otherwise so show your bike from time to time.

Anyway mate as I said these are suggestions and I too am no pro at this video thing so feel free to disregard any or all I've said. I hope this is constructive as I assure you I am not trying to offend or insult.

Cheers Scott.
    No offense taken, Scott. You're right, I need to take more footage. Thanks for watching and leaving feedback. Your videos are very well done, by the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkC View Post
    I enjoyed it. I watched the other 3 you have uploaded as well while pedaling on the stationary. I thought the editing was good and really it didn't seem too long for me. I liked your geological observations/comments on the NM rides and I think I may have enjoyed those more as well as the McDowell ride. Thanks for uploading!
    Thanks for watching them, Kirk. That's the first feedback I've gotten on the geology stuff. As you mentioned, I didn't add geology in the Sedona or McDowell rides. In hind site, Sedona would have been a great geological topic. McDowell too. I might redo the vid w/out music and add more interesting topics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Sedona Video Edit

Alright. I took some time tonight to edit the Sedona video. I've added commentary/storyline and removed music. I've also shortened it by 2.5 minutes.

If you have time, I'd be interested in your feedback on this one. I've learned a lot from you all and look forward to applying that knowledge next time I take the cameras out.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB nomad View Post
    No offense taken, Scott. You're right, I need to take more footage. Thanks for watching and leaving feedback. Your videos are very well done, by the way.
    Thanks for the nice comments mate. I really enjoy both riding and filming so it's nice to get good feedback.

I like your latest edit. The first couple of minutes were really good and I felt much more interesting with all the geology and geography you mentioned. I have been to Salt Lake so I could understand the geology you mentioned so kudos on giving me (the viewer) something I could associate with.

My only criticism now is the length of the POV footage at the end. I had no issue with the music the first time round but if you wanted to change ti maybe you could have put some music with the footage at the end which would have at least given it a bit more punch.

I know it is hard to chop footage out that you love but you have to be ruthless. Now let me be clear, this is a very minor criticism. I really enjoyed this edit. You told me a story which was easy to follow and very easy to watch so good work mate.

Keep them coming, Cheers Scott.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Your feedback has really helped, Scott. Thank you. Wish I could send you a beer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    No sweat mate, just keep posting the edits!!!!