mtbr member
    Aug 2009

K Edge GoPro mounts just arrived

I use GoPro Hero2's on my bikes and cars. Just got one of the seat mounts yesterday and can say this thing is the new standard for rigid GoPro mounts for a bike. Amazon has them in stock.........get one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+gopro&x=0&y=0

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is it worth $55?

No, that's not phonetic
    Man, those are spendy one-trick ponies. Why not get a multi-use RAM mount?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've wondered why everyone hasn't used the RAM mounting system.

Seems like a no brainer to me - you get full adjustability and maybe some vibration damping too.

-matt

Grams Light Bikes
    They are well built, slim and trim, and are solid as a rock once tightened down.

Grams Light Bikes - Mountain Bike and Gear Reviews, and News: Just In - K-EDGE GO BIG Camera Mounts

Rolling
    The obvious problem I have with the k-edge mounts are (besides cost) is that they use the screw mounting system instead of putting a quick release platform. When changing mounts in the field, it's a real pain to unscrew the camera from a mount.

I use a quick release mount on the camera and mount quick release platforms on RAM mounts or a tripod mount or whatever That way, I can snap it off my chest and pop it on anything else in seconds.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    The obvious problem I have with the k-edge mounts are (besides cost) is that they use the screw mounting system instead of putting a quick release platform. When changing mounts in the field, it's a real pain to unscrew the camera from a mount.

I use a quick release mount on the camera and mount quick release platforms on RAM mounts or a tripod mount or whatever That way, I can snap it off my chest and pop it on anything else in seconds.
    So I assume you have used the K-Edge mounts?

I used them yesterday, and yes, they aren't quick release, but it only took me 15-20 seconds (taking my time). I am usually not in a race to swap out my camera, so it's not an issue for me? I would hardly call it painful to install or remove, just a simple process. What you get is an extremely stable platform for the GoPro, without any slop or movement whatsoever.

Yes, they are pricey!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    So I assume you have used the K-Edge mounts?
    No, I use RAM mounts with quick release platforms. Been using them long before the K-Edge mounts were around, I have no reason to even try them when what I have works and can recognize the severe limitations of the K-Edge mounts without buying them. They might be sturdy, but so are RAM and RAM mounts allow more than one degree of freedom of positioning.

I'm just making a suggestion in this thread, like others here, to consider the RAM mounts as an option--and to also consider using the quick release platforms.

My style of filming is to switch the camera around many times during a ride to get the most variety of shots possible. I like using a quick release mounting.

But pretty much everything is better than the plastic articulating gopro mounts so whatever works solidly is a good thing. But if you want more than one degree of freedom, how do you do this with the K-Edge? Use the plastic GoPro Mounts? That seems like it defeats the whole point of being solid.
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-09-2012 at 04:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    No, I use RAM mounts with quick release platforms. Been using them long before the K-Edge mounts were around, I have no reason to even try them when what I have works and can recognize the severe limitations of the K-Edge mounts without buying them. They might be sturdy, but so are RAM and RAM mounts allow more than one degree of freedom of positioning.

I'm just making a suggestion in this thread, like others here, to consider the RAM mounts as an option--and to also consider using the quick release platforms.

My style of filming is to switch the camera around many times during a ride to get the most variety of shots possible. I like using a quick release mounting.

But pretty much everything is better than the plastic articulating gopro mounts so whatever works solidly is a good thing. But if you want more than one degree of freedom, how do you do this with the K-Edge? Use the plastic GoPro Mounts? That seems like it defeats the whole point of being solid.

I also use Ram mounts for my Gopro and I've been happy with it. Can you tell me which quick realease you use?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by ericepark View Post
    I also use Ram mounts for my Gopro and I've been happy with it. Can you tell me which quick realease you use?
    Get the RAM 1" ball mounts with a flat platform and stick these on them.

Check above on Tscheezy link for details.

This is a sample of my parts.

I can post on the bike setup if necessary.
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-10-2012 at 12:19 AM.