Live Dirty!

Just playing around with new stuff

Here is my first try at a MTB video. This is the result of me just playing around and getting to know the Hero Wide I got for Christmas. I also had to get a new computer, so I downloaded MS Moviemaker to play with. I’ll probably get better editing software soon. I did this in about 30 minutes, and it actually came out ok. Youtube compression makes the quality much worse. I used the “publish to Youtube” feature in Moviemaker. Is there a better way to do it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hY30qWen_8

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Not bad for your first vid, Tex. You enjoying the Hero, or more of something that was a gift, so you're using it? I'm taking my time researching helmet cameras because they're a bit expensive for my taste, so I'm trying to find a good one for at least a decent price.

Live Dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalphilictendencies
    Not bad for your first vid, Tex. You enjoying the Hero, or more of something that was a gift, so you're using it? I'm taking my time researching helmet cameras because they're a bit expensive for my taste, so I'm trying to find a good one for at least a decent price.
    I was a gift, but I think it is exactly what I need to the type of vids I'm going to make. Mine isn't HD, so the quality isn't the latest and greatest. I mostly wanted it to make fun little family riding videos with so it is a good compromise between cost and quality.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    With the Hero series, you have options for mounts and such. For the rest of us with just a 1/4x20 tripod mount, we have to fabricate mounts for the most part.

The video shot by the Hero Wide is at 512x384 resolution which is less that 480p, the two conversion processes to get the file on youtube, and youtube itself displaying the video at a resolution that is different than what the camera itself uses, visual quality will be off some. My old camera shot video at 480p and it wasn't excitingly beautiful once it got done uploading to youtube.

You'll see the difference in quality in 480p and 720p in the examples below.

480p non-HD Camera Video (Kodak M1063)

720p HD Camera Video (Sony Cybershot DSC-W290)

Last edited by Lawson Raider; 01-28-2010 at 06:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Interesting. Thanks for the info Lawson, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Also, I use Movie Maker myself but for the Windows XP which doesn't read HD nor encode HD video natively. Since my camera records video in the mp4 format which WMM doesn't import, I have to run it through a third party to convert it to wmv format which WMM can import.

There is a set of plugins you can download for WMM for WinXP to encode HD from PapaJohns. It is still encoded in wmv format but in 1280x720 format. Upload to youtube and after a while, the video should play in HD mode on the site.

The only thing about WMM at least for Win XP is that it can be quite buggy at times...My last video it crashed a good 5 times before I got it to behave itself... Save and save often..