mtbr member
    May 2013

Just for fun .... messin' with the GoPros!

Took these footages last fall ... just finally had time to put 'em all on a short music vid.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Cool use of different angles to keep it interesting. Others could learn from this
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Were these taken with a GoPro? What mounts did you use for the shots that look forward under the bike? I love the multiple angles.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yes. I used GoPro Hero 1 and Hero 2 .... my old Hero 1 on the bottom bike footages (so at least if it gets F'up, lol, it's ok). On the middle and upper bike footages, I used my Hero 2. If you look closely, you can actually see the difference in the better video quality Hero 2 takes. I didn't have Hero 3 at that time.

On the bottom of the down tube, I attached a couple of adhesive mounts where I latched a vertical surface J-hook buckle (buckles used for front mount helmets) and a horizontal surface quick-release buckle. Then I just interchange between the two for the different forward views under the bike.

I took pictures of these setups but I can't find them at the moment. As soon as I find them, I'll post them here so you can see.

I also used electrical tape to re-inforce the hold on the cameras. I didn't want to lose any of my Gopros ... lol. Also, this also kept the angles steady and prevented loosening due to vibrations. Electrical tape is great 'coz it doesn't really leave any major sticky residues on the camera or the bike frames. And if it does, it can easily be wiped out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That would be cool if you can post those photos. I'd like to try that on my bike! :P

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sorry for late reply ... been a while since I've been on the site. Finally dug up those photos. If you want to place your GoPros this low on the bike, like I did, you can re-inforce the the attachment including the camera (as long as it's not obstructing the lens) with electrical tape if you're using the horizontal surface quick-release buckle. If using the J-hook buckle, then just reinforce the attachment (not the camera). It holds it quite well.

The first 2 photos below uses the J-hook buckle:

The photo below uses the horizontal surface quick-release buckle. I placed this one a bit higher on the bottom tube: