mtbr member

Issues with Go Pro HD Editing.

Hello,

I have a Go Pro HD and I use the VideoPad video editor. My issue is, every time I edit the files and complete the film the quality of the video is awful. It is like the pixel count is lower and you can see small blocks every once in awhile.

Any ideas?

Tool
    Yes, Sir!

First of all, have you matched the output resolution and frame rate to your raw footage? I don't know that changing them in the output will cause your symptoms (unless you're perhaps trying to enlarge), but I've always matched my output to input (the one exception is the vid below since it has mixed footage).

Second, try creating your movie in .avi format using the Xvid MPEG-4 codec (use all defaults within the AVI Encoding Settings). You may need to download/install this codec before it is available in VP - many download locations available. You may be able to get great results from a wide range of other codecs, but of the several I've tried, this one has given me the best balance of quality:filesize. I shoot in 720p @29.97fps (ContourHD 720), and my finished .avi movies end up being roughly 100MB per minute content.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other VP questions you may have. I really didn't like it at first, but as I developed some workflow tricks, I feel it's not too bad, especially given that I'm using the free version. If you're relatively new to video editing as I am, I strongly believe VP's lack of features helps to learn what's most important about editing without getting distracted with bells and whistles that the pros don't seem to use very much when you really pay attention.

If you're willing to spend time, you can have a lot of fun with VP (this one has some GoPro SD footage mixed in with the VholdR 720 footage):

Fort Rock MLK II from Pete on Vimeo.

Last edited by Pedalphile; 03-11-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Pedalphile, the transitions in the first 17 seconds of that video are great, you really nailed them in that they're not too short and change right on cue. I think you lose the effect further in because yo make the grabs too short, the human eye / visual cortex needs a bit more info to process, this is what makes the first ones so good. Next thing to try and do is find some software to steady out your image. One of the guys on the fat bike forum uses some but I can't remember the name of it. It would make you videos really good coupled with your editing. You may want to start putting in some 'ride by's' by putting the camera on a tree / ground etc, especially with a tight group like you had. Keep it up. Just my 2c worth.

Al

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile
    Yes, Sir!

First of all, have you matched the output resolution and frame rate to your raw footage? I don't know that changing them in the output will cause your symptoms (unless you're perhaps trying to enlarge), but I've always matched my output to input (the one exception is the vid below since it has mixed footage).

Second, try creating your movie in .avi format using the Xvid MPEG-4 codec (use all defaults within the AVI Encoding Settings). You may need to download/install this codec before it is available in VP - many download locations available. You may be able to get great results from a wide range of other codecs, but of the several I've tried, this one has given me the best balance of quality:filesize. I shoot in 720p @29.97fps (ContourHD 720), and my finished .avi movies end up being roughly 100MB per minute content.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other VP questions you may have. I really didn't like it at first, but as I developed some workflow tricks, I feel it's not too bad, especially given that I'm using the free version. If you're relatively new to video editing as I am, I strongly believe VP's lack of features helps to learn what's most important about editing without getting distracted with bells and whistles that the pros don't seem to use very much when you really pay attention.

If you're willing to spend time, you can have a lot of fun with VP (this one has some GoPro SD footage mixed in with the VholdR 720 footage):

Fort Rock MLK II from Pete on Vimeo.

Thank you for the reply.

I took a screenshot of how I saved the Files. I am recording in 1080HD. I notice if I change the preset to 1080HD it will automatically change the file format to avi. Also, I changed the resolution to 1920 x 1080 - HD - 1080p because I think this is the exact resolution the Go Pro uses.

I will play around with it today a little bit.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm
    Pedalphile, the transitions in the first 17 seconds of that video are great, you really nailed them in that they're not too short and change right on cue. I think you lose the effect further in because yo make the grabs too short, the human eye / visual cortex needs a bit more info to process, this is what makes the first ones so good. Next thing to try and do is find some software to steady out your image. One of the guys on the fat bike forum uses some but I can't remember the name of it. It would make you videos really good coupled with your editing. You may want to start putting in some 'ride by's' by putting the camera on a tree / ground etc, especially with a tight group like you had. Keep it up. Just my 2c worth.

Al
    Thank you for the feedback, Al.

I did experiment with the Deshaker software. After much time spent, I was able to get my footage looking smooth, but it made it too fake looking - almost surreal - it might make a good special effect. The rolling shutter doesn't help things, even though Deshaker has a setting for it. Deshaker was also meant for hand-held footage in which it can pick out your primary subject...with POV biking footage, the continuous motion makes it challenging for Deshaker to figure out what should be moving and what shouldn't because the entire field of view is constantly in motion. I may revisit Deshaker some day, since I only played around with helmet-mounted footage, which was much shakier than the frame/fork mount stuff shown above (so it's not hard to imagine why I wanted to correct it).

I fully agree with you on having some 3rd-person perspective footage. As you may be well aware, grabbing that footage takes infinitely more time than just recording POV as you roll. It's something I plan to do later this spring when I can find the time and the weather is more conducive to spending lots of time standing around (I live in NH - we're currently in the midst of mud season with average daytime high temps in the low to mid 40's.). I know it will take a full afternoon to get enough good footage for a 5-10 minute vid.

Evo. - what version of VP are you running, and did you pruchase it or is it the free version? Your screen shot is very different from the diaglog box in which I adjust those settings in my version of VP (my version of VP also has a 'Create Movie' button instead of 'Save Movie' button. In your screen shot it looks as though the framerate is set to 25fps. I'm pretty sure your camera records 1080p @30fps, so chaging that may help. Given that the problem seems to be pixelation rather than choppiness, though, different encoder (compression) settings is likely the ticket for you.

I think you're just around the corner from having some great vids.

BTW - maybe it's because I'm slow, but it took me awhile to fully realize how useful the 'Split Clip' function is. Using it is one of the easiest ways to get your transitions exactly where you want them. Don't forget to zoom way in on the timeline if you need precise palcement of transitions, such as if you're synchronizing to music. Now that I've learned to leverage it, I use the split clip function many, many times while creating a vid.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    It is the free version..
    Last edited by Evo.; 03-12-2010 at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, thanks to Pedalphile I figured it out. When saving the file, I changed to HD 1080P / 30 FPS / and AVI. Now I have nice smooth HD quality videos!

Thanks again!