Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No, that's not phonetic

Smile The iMovie Thread

I have dabbled in older versions of iMovie for quite a while. Mostly version 6 (also called iMove HD). It was dead simple to use and did a lot of things quite well. I also have iMovie version 8 (also called iMovie '09). It has some amazing capabilities like a pretty advanced image stabilization feature, but I found the interface pretty inscrutable. I normally stabilized footage in v8 and then did editing in v6. I finally broke down and decided to learn v8.

This was a new experience to me, as I have not bothered to buy a book or read a manual to learn a program in a while. Normally clicking around and reading a few help files was enough if I got stuck. But iMovie v8 was not going to reveal itself fully enough that way so I got David Pogue's EXTREMELY GOOD book, iMovie '09 & iDVD, The Missing Manual. I cannot say enough positive things about this book. It really lays it all out nicely. And I'm pretty impressed with what iMovie can do being free with every Mac. The integration with iDVD is also quite impressive.

Sorry that this isn't bike related, but here is a quickie I put together from about 90 second of snowboard footage I had handy. (After you hit play, you can switch to 720p in the lower right hand corner of the player and then go to full screen )

Anyway, I thought I'd start an iMovie editing thread to see if folks out there want to ask questions or swap ideas. Cheers.

mtbr member
    No comments on Imovie but that's a nice video. What camera did you shoot it with?

Bet you get a good workout each time you hike back up.

No, that's not phonetic
    It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3. It is basically in the same class as the Canon SX200 IS. I tried using it for on-bike shooting, but the optical image stabilization elements seem to shift under the force of heavy shaking to the point where the movement exaggerates the shake rather than minimize it. For handholding while standing still the OIS does a super job. But if the camera is really bouncing, not so much.

Here is the thread where I started my search that led to this camera. It didn't solve my on-bike shooting needs, so I got a ContourHD which so far seems just awesome. I need to scrape together some real footage though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Here's my first video done with imovie. Check it out

fried stuff with cheese
    I was also an iMovie 06 hold out until my G5 died a few weeks ago. I had a chance to spend a little time on 09 and although it wasn't enough time to really get into it I thought it looked promising.
    I work in the pro a/v industry and use to use Final Cut Pro/Studio, Premier, and Avid. For throwing together quick bike/ski/family videos I always went back to iMovie for it's ability to throw a quick decent looking edit together very quickly.

tscheezy - I thought that map effect was cool. I really hope that some third party players start offering plug ins for the new iMovie much like they did for 06.

202cycle - great video man! I think it's really fun to put an edit together that can capture the vibe of a ride.

Now I just have to pay off enough leftover Christmas debt to buy a new Mac and get things going again.

Here are some of my videos. The first couple are after I got my HD camera but my computer didn't handle the HD video all that well so they don't look as good as they could.

http://www.vimeo.com/user486880/videos
    Last edited by Locotiki; 02-13-2010 at 06:34 AM.
    Egg

No, that's not phonetic
    I'm guessing you already know this, but the map effect is part of iMovie '09. You can combine the transition (film strip) with the map effect (showing Alaska) which is what I did for the opener. You can either show the map with a starting point and and end with a cartoon line linking them, or you can do a single location like I did.

The effect is under the globe icon:

And once inserted you can still play with it, tweak transitions, audio clip positions, etc:

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle
    Here's my first video done with imovie. Check it out
    Wondering about the iWeb you used to create your site, is there a setting that makes the video start playing as soon as some1 visits the site?

Alaska Turner Mafia

Newbie to iMovie here

Just entering my first foray into the video world with an unfamiliar Mac platform, a new GoPro HD camera, and the foreign to me iMovie editing software. Much to learn, but already noticed one symptom to watch for, and one additional hint.

While editing my first fatbiking attempt that was shot on highest resolution, you must be aware of vertical height if you decide to run a clip through the image stabilizer feature.

I thought I'd shoot tight on the highest resolution setting, with a 127 degree wide view vs 170 on a lower setting. This is also the camera setting with the lowest vertical view area of the options offered. I noticed one clip that had its motion effectively stabilized while riding on a rough hardpacked snow surface with a rigid bike, but the central portion of the clip that was retained had so much perimeter border removed that at times it also cut off the rider's head. If perceptible bounce is obvious from the start, choose a lower resolution setting that offers the taller vertical view and you'll salvage more scenes while still keeping the subject intact. I'll chalk that one up to a live and learn lesson.

Also, the hint, is to have a ton of patience using the image stabilization analysis. The rule of thumb is it takes two minutes to stabilize for every minute of video, but I've found it's more like five minutes per. Yikes. It works well, but walk away to do something else while it's analyzing.

By the way ts, great recommendation on the David Pogue book. I picked one up yesterday and am just poring over it since I know so little about iMovie. This whole new arena is pretty exciting. Now I need to figure out how to use a host like Vimeo and how to embed a video here. Lots to learn for sure, but great resources seem to be available.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker
    Wondering about the iWeb you used to create your site, is there a setting that makes the video start playing as soon as some1 visits the site?
    Yes, you can make it auto play, or not. I have a ton of fun producing a website for my shop. I'm far from being a pro, and I think it all looks pretty good.

I

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by unkempt dervish
    This applies to any editing software, not just iMovie:

Just because they come loaded with cheesy transitions and "special" effects, that does not mean that you need to use them nor is it usually a good idea to use them.

If shot properly, your footage should speak for itself.

Cross dissolves, fades to back/white or hard cuts are what the the professional folks use, if you're interested in taking direction from those folks.
    So, if this is what the professionals use, then why is it not a good idea to use them. I am doing this for the first time since high school, when we used video tape, cameras that weighed a ton and sat on your shoulder, and cut it all together with video editing equipment.

I'm finally getting back in to something I really like to do so any advice I could get from a professional would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Great camera angle, are you using the Chest mount?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Can you upload some of your videos?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I want to know which videos are good. I figured yours would be really good. I think the OP came here looking for advice. That's why I posted. So, show me your good videos, and I'll be able to improve on what I'm doing, otherwise, shut up.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=tscheezy]It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3.

Cool, I bought the same camera after reading your thread on them.

Bandolero

F*** It (I Don't Want You Back)

I want to know which videos are good. I figured yours would be really good. I think the OP came here looking for advice. That's why I posted. So, show me your good videos, and I'll be able to improve on what I'm doing, otherwise, shut up.
    He's one of the mtbr-banned.

Some good stuff here but he doesn't generate as much online content as he once did.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Yes, you can make it auto play, or not. I have a ton of fun producing a website for my shop. I'm far from being a pro, and I think it all looks pretty good.

I
    i think we may be visiting TN in June, will definately plan to make a visit!

No, that's not phonetic
    I just played with beat markers in iMovie. They allow you to indicate points in any sound file that you want the program to align the transition between clips to (either manually or automatically). I continue to be very impressed with what iMovie can do, though it is a pretty complex program and consequently not intuitive without some guidance.

Here is the vid I played with to practice the beat markers:

Last edited by tscheezy; 03-07-2010 at 07:31 PM.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I just played with beat markers in iMovie. They allow you to indicate points in any sound file that you want the program to align the transition between clips to (either manually or automatically). I continue to be very impressed with what iMovie can do, though it is a pretty complex program and consequently not intuitive without some guidance.

Here is the vid I played with to practice the beat markers:

did you do all that with 1 cam?

No, that's not phonetic
    I'm checking out a GoPro HD and a CountourHD. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. The on-frame shots are from the CountourHD, and the POV chest-mounted shots are the GoPro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    tscheezy - I really really liked that vid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    tscheezy nice video nice bording
    Bike nyc

[SIZE="5"]A man needs a bicycle between his legs like a woman needs a fish.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="6"]]Wehr Reich [/SIZE]

No, that's not phonetic
    I still cannot say enough good stuff about David Pogue's book. I'm a long-time mac user (since '88) and plenty savvy with some technical programs, but I would not have figured out all the cool stuff that iMovie lets you do without Pogue's Missing Manual.

Here is another that actually tosses in some different footage. This was before I tried beat markers. I would cut it together it differently now.

When faced with 30 minutes or more of raw footage that you will want to cut down to about 3 minutes, you need to be organized and ruthless at the same time. I really love iMovie's "favorites" and "reject" labeling feature where you paint over a film strip with an indication of what you think of the footage. I first go through and doing a skimming review I paint the reject tag over all the obviously crappy footage. That eliminates about 1/3 of the clips. I do a second pass and hack away another 1/3 that is just not as good as the surrounding clips. Finally I try to identify the good stuff and indicate it as "favorite", though I still keep the unmarked clips visible. The reject clips get filtered (though not deleted). Now I am only faced with about 10 minutes I need to chop down to 3. Very manageable.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 03-07-2010 at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    I use imovie for my editing and wish that it had the feature to speed up or slow down footage. Otherwise it does just great with what I do.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

No, that's not phonetic
    In iMovie you can speed clips up or slow them down (fast motion or slow motion). In the Inspector panel you can specify what percent of the original speed you want the clip to play. Which version are you using?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    In iMovie you can speed clips up or slow them down (fast motion or slow motion). In the Inspector panel you can specify what percent of the original speed you want the clip to play. Which version are you using?
    I have version 7.1.4
    Not nearly as nice as the newer one eh? I've been hashing over the idea of creating some videos of trails I ride, but so far the content I've come up with is the same boring stuff. I'd like to interview folks, add in maps, speed up some footage, slow down others, but it seems like there is a defining line between what we see on the web verses an actual production. iMovie seems like an easy and "free" tool to make online length and quality mtb videos, but I have not quite come across what I'd like to do.
    Not mtb related but here is a video I made up of a vacation on a motorcycle in Tasmania with the wife. One new thing for me was taking the voice from one recording and placing it on some other footage.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUjZ-kG1rEs
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast