Moose Member

I need a new camera and some editing help (Vegas)

Hey guys! I love recording myself while i'm out biking, but all i have is a GoPro and some old cheapo camcorder. I'm looking for a new camera that is HD and can shoot in fairly good FPS (Not looking for like 1000 FPS, but something like 100 or 120 FPS in 720 would be nice)

I usually shoot in 720, and would like more than 60 FPS to make the slo-mo a bit nicer.

I've been hunting for cameras the last couple of days and am overwhelmed. I'd kill for a phantom camera (lol only like $50k) but am limited to about $300-$500 cause this will be my Christmas present. So far i have found:

HDR-CX160/B | Full HD 16GB Flash Memory Camcorder | Sony | Sony Style USA

I hear this ones pretty good, but cant find info on the FPS it shoots in during 720, and i hear its pretty bad when shooting in low light.

do you have any suggestions that fit my wants?

Now, when it comes to editing, I use sony vegas HD movie studio 10. When i open up a project i open it as a blu-ray 1080 (60i) format. when i got to make the final product, i hit "make movie" (known on other programs as export, render) i save it to my hard drive as an MP4 under the setting 1280x720 30p internet video.

When i make the move it seems to lower the quality of my footage. Is it because im doing internet video? Does anyone use different setting that seem to work better?

Last thing is slo-mo. I shoot in R3 on my GoPro, (60fps) but the slo-mo still seems choppy. I've seen others videos where they use a GoPro but they have really smooth Slo-Mo. Is Vegas just not great at Slo-mo? I used Powerdirector 10 once for slo-mo, and it seemed to work a lot better, but still isnt amazing. How do ya'll do your slo-mo?

Would Twixtor help at all? You can get that on Powerdirector cant you?

As examples heres some videos. Its my goal (once i get a new camera) to make some "video of the day" worth videos for websites like Vitalmtb and Pinkbike.

Heres a pure Slo-Mo edit. I was bored so i made this. Its really long, so you only have to watch a bit.

Heres one i did with my old janky camcorder. The slo-mo sucks extra hard, but i mostly wanted the video to flow with the music. Theres one far off slo-mo shot i did in here with my gopro and powerdirector.

Compare that to this raw footy i put on youtube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i am not to sure about the sony model you mention there,,,,, i have a sony hdr sr12 hd camcorder that does 60fps, but it only does it in 10 seconds at a time.
    there are a few cheap cameras that will do mega high frames per second, i know there is a casio one that does a few hundred fps, but the resolution is quite poor the higher you go.
    have you considerd going down the slr camera route,,, col and me use a cannon eos 7d, and we have had some pretty good results, we have about 4 lenses for it now, and a pretty good tripod, its a little more time consuming with a digital slr, with changing the lenses to the camera set up but the end results are much better, the other down side to it as well as cost, is theres more equipment to carry.

as for software, does your vegas actually accept 60fps,,, most editing softwares dont, they will only take 30fps,,,, they tend to drop every second frame so your 60fps footage is reduced to 30fps, this could be why your footage is jerky.
    as for twixter, does it work with vegas,,, i have sony vegas 9 platinum and i know its not compatible with that....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Airborne Flight Crew
    I'm using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 - so not sure how many of these settings might apply, but it's how I set up most of my video stuff - its another thread in this forum: http://forums.mtbr.com/videos-helmet...er-747441.html

As for a camera - *shrugs*. In my research, I've found that most cams that do more than 60fps do it at lower resolution. They advertise "300 FRAMES PER SECOND" but they don't bother to mention that they do so at standard or low resolution. So investigate very carefully before you purchase.

That said - you might consider a slr that does video (most do now). They'll do 60fps, the video quality is superb compared to camcorders of the same price, AND you can get different lenses. Slow motion is cool, really cool - but there's so much more to consider if you're going to get a new camera. People are creating amazing content with slr video... plus, you'll also have a killer stills camera.

I have a Canon Rebel T2i, which are going for less that 600 I think, even the newer T3i is cheap, and has a tiltable/swivel lcd screen. I also have to cheaper camcorders that I use for back up, but the Canon kicks ass in the image quality department.

There's no easy way into high quality slow motion. I'd say try to get an updated version of Vegas, After effect, or even Premiere. Twixtor does a great job for most situations - but I admit I've only researched it, I've not used it yet - but have the latest software you can manage will help out a lot. For what it's worth, I've noticed that power director does a nicer job of creating slow motion too. Strange. sometimes I'll do slow motion there, then import that in to Vegas, even though the image quality takes a little hit...

Your videos are looking pretty good by they way. keep it up.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website