make mine a nine

How can I make it better ....

I spent hours cutting this video together. I'm out of ideas, how can I improve it?

Single Track Mind - Rd 5 Mt Annan HD from Major Johnson on Vimeo.

A day spent at the challenging Mt Annan course on the south western outskirts of Sydney. Enjoy.

Last edited by abevern; 10-19-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Nickel Havr
    Ummm... Get some bigger calf muscles? LOL

I'm just kidding!

Vid looks good... I wouldn't change it!
    I like the multiple camera angles... Clips are not too long which is good.
    Does your editing software have different backgrounds for the text portions?
    Any effects?

What editing software are you using anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    I like!! Ride more, shoot more, make more videos.
    You have way more patience than I do with my videos.
    The only thing I do more of is static shots but it does ruin the flow of the ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thats a very good edit,,,, great angles good location, and you even got it to the beat of the music, a great effort all round,,,,
    you ask how to make it better. not much you need to do to be honest, maybe a few small things,,
    instead of having it 5mins,,, try cutting more out to reduce it to say 3 mins.
    try to keep your clips between 7-10 seconds long.
    dont just use helmet cam footage, it to common now and starting to get boring, use a mix of helmet cam and 3rd person,
    maybe a few trasition to blend your clips togeather,

it's all practice practice practice,,,,, keep on riding shooting and having fun. learn from your mistakes. be critical when editing, if you dont like somthing then chances are your target audiance wont either. you can only improve with each vid you shoot.

make mine a nine
    Hey all, thanks for the positive comments and constructive feedback. Somehow my subscription for this thread died so I hadnt seen them until now.
    I agree that being critical of footage and discarding if in Doubt is a good start.
    I'd also like to incorporate some more static footage but it's sort of tricky at a race...
    I have since made another one for the round 6 race which incorporates a few different editing ideas, some more successful than others

You can watch it here if interested:
    http://vimeo.com/32505781
    (sorry for lack of embedding, for all its convenience tapatalk misses some key functionality...)

I use Final Cut for the editing.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I like it... never saw it before (notice this thread is older) make more man.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abevern View Post
    I have since made another one for the round 6 race which incorporates a few different editing ideas, some more successful than others
    Nice bit of editing, especially in the beginning there. I liked the mix of angles and cuts.

A few questions:

How many cameras were you running at once? And what mounts were you using?

I thought I spotted some artifacts from running the footage through the stabilizer filter. Was that the case?

Keep up the good work.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

on the path most traveled
    Great vid. Double thumbs up. Never seen a race vid that entertaining.

sore member
    Nice videos. Lots of different viewpoints, you kept the clips short, and sync'd it to the music to boot. I didn't watch both videos to completion (Vimeo doesn't stream well for me), but from what I watched, I preferred the second, especially the intro. Not sure what you could do to improve it, aside from adding static shots, which as you pointed out is tricky if you are busy racing and don't have additional help.

I'm interested in the different mounts you used. Would it be possible to post a picture of the mounts? How many cameras were you running at once?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    I'm interested in the different mounts you used. Would it be possible to post a picture of the mounts? How many cameras were you running at once?
    ya, me too, though I think you are using a GoPro and I have a Contour, so mounting systems are diff, but really placement is the big Key...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Only comment i would make is that the opening sequence shows a lot of camera motion due to being hand-held.
    If the camera is static try and use apan/tilt tripod or even a mono-pod to hold things steadt and smooth.
    Other than that its a great vid with some really good sequencing with the music.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    great vid, man! I'm also looking into these POV cam!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I just made a vid very similar to yours - I even have the same tire!

I find when I was making it I have to make major changes during editing to make sure all my clips are exciting and short. I had two major revisions on this one. I think the longest clip in my vid was 9-10 seconds long and I had one or two max. All the rest are ~3 seconds.

I liked when you were breaking up long shots into sequences, like when you were passing those people, and it was synced to the breakdown on the song.

Also, really like the mashup song in there.

I have fairly flat trails also and it can be hard to make them look fast.

I personally dislike hearing the audio from the camera, so I mute it before making clips.

Heres a look at what I just made - theres a couple of crashes near the end also:

Direct Link

Last edited by mainlane; 01-29-2012 at 02:03 PM.

make mine a nine

Question & Answer

Thanks all for the positive and constructive comments!

A few answers:

I'm running GoProHDs using the standard GoPro mounts. I have up to two cameras mounted on the bike at once depending on available mounts and battery life.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the mounts - but I can describe them as follows:

Roll Cage Mount:
    • * Bottom of the head tube
    • * Downtube forward facing
    • * Downtube rear facing shock
    • * Downtube facing BB (with two short extensions)

Handlebar Mount:
    • * Chainstay (with two short extensions)

* Chesty Mount
    • * Foward Facing
    • * Rear Facing

Quote Originally Posted by hanskellner
    I thought I spotted some artifacts from running the footage through the stabilizer filter. Was that the case?
    I only run stabilisation on the chest mounts, as they seem more susceptible to being banged around. I don't like the digital zoom that is normally used to compensate for the border you lose in the process of stabilisation, as a result there are some black edges in places.

FWIW my first video in the series (Singletrack Mind 2011 - Stromlo Rd 3 HD) was recorded and rendered in 720P - so the chest-cam corrections are much more visible. I quite like the look (in short doses) as it conveys a better feeling of speed.
    The latter two videos (this one and Rd6) were recorded in 960P so the stabilisation is much less obvious as it is cropped to 720P for Vimeo.

Quote Originally Posted by griffter18
    Only comment i would make is that the opening sequence shows a lot of camera motion due to being hand-held.
    If the camera is static try and use apan/tilt tripod or even a mono-pod to hold things steadt and smooth.
    Yeh - fair call on that. The title sequence was done last, and was my somewhat abortive first try at using Motion. In the end I used that jerky bit of footage to lower expectations of what was to come. I always get a smile when it switches to "on bike" and MC Hammer comes on... maybe that's just me!

Quote Originally Posted by mainlane;
    I just made a vid very similar to yours...
    I find when I was making it I have to make major changes during editing to make sure all my clips are exciting and short.
    Your video has some great camera angles - you've done well to keep the action moving - good work.

I'm still fine tuning how to put videos together. Current method involves dumping all the "maybe good bits" into the timeline. Finding a song I really like. Then finding a clip that fits with the start of the song. Then find the next one etc. It's important that you really like the sound track, because you'll be hearing it about 1000 times by the time you get to the end!

The main advantage of this method for me is that I don't make major revisions. Occasionally I'll got back and tweak a section, but usually I don't proceed until I'm happy with how it looks.

FYI - I started with 7 hours of video and extracted about 30 minutes of "maybe good bits" to end up with ~5minutes in the latest video.