mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Homemade GoPro chest mount?

Just ordered myself a GoPro HD Motorsports for a great price. Now, I need to get some mounts. Motorsports version doesn't come with helmet or chest mount so I need to buy one of them. From the videos I've seen, I like the view of the chest mount much more.

That being said, I was curious if anyone has made homemade chest mounts? The reason I ask is, I also plan to use it when riding the dirt bike. I wear a Leatt brace so I'm afraid the GoPro may interfere with that.

Any suggestions?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have made a super el cheapo chest mount for my Sony Cybershot a few months ago but it was only good for a couple of rides and then started cracking. It was only about 4 bucks to make so no big loss.

Get a sturdy ziploc microwave bowl that your camera will fit in. Cut a slit in the left and right slide. Buy a strap to run through both the slits. Cut a 1/4" hole in the bottom where the tripod mount is. Cut access ports where you need them to access your buttons. Be careful not to cut out too much of the back area.

Strap it on your chest and there you go. Not the best chest mount but it is cheap and will last a couple of rides. When it wears out, just grab another bowl - most of the ziploc bowls come in multiple packs.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    wow -what a great idea. I bet no-one has ever thought of a home-made chest mount. Its too bad that there's no way to search for such an idea - perhaps, with pictures and instructions
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    May 2010

www.swampclub.org
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    wow -what a great idea. I bet no-one has ever thought of a home-made chest mount. Its too bad that there's no way to search for such an idea - perhaps, with pictures and instructions
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAH
    Nice one Lee!
    "Wish not so much to live long, as to live well." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    I have made a super el cheapo chest mount for my Sony Cybershot a few months ago but it was only good for a couple of rides and then started cracking. It was only about 4 bucks to make so no big loss.

Get a sturdy ziploc microwave bowl that your camera will fit in. Cut a slit in the left and right slide. Buy a strap to run through both the slits. Cut a 1/4" hole in the bottom where the tripod mount is. Cut access ports where you need them to access your buttons. Be careful not to cut out too much of the back area.

Strap it on your chest and there you go. Not the best chest mount but it is cheap and will last a couple of rides. When it wears out, just grab another bowl - most of the ziploc bowls come in multiple packs.
    Even though i have got a chest mount i think i'm going to have to at making one of the back of this post!!! Top marks fella!!!

www.swampclub.org
    Guys,
    There are pages and pages of "custom gopro mounts", but the main one is here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/videos-helmet...ts-662919.html
    "Wish not so much to live long, as to live well." - Benjamin Franklin