mtbr member
    May 2012

Headbadge Mount?

Does anyone have any pics of a head badge mount? Tried experimenting last night with a set up and am curious to what others (if any) have come up with. I'm guessing it might be relative to the frame design too if it's even possible.

No pics but my first attempt was with zip ties, but it didn't seem too stable and might result in some shaky shots. I did have a fleeting thought of just epoxying the mount right to the headbadge...that faded pretty quickly though

mtbr member
    I've seen folks mount a gopro to the head tube (right on the headbadge) with the roll bar mount. Depends on your frame of course, you need a gap on the headtube between the top tube and down tube.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Mine doesn't have a large enough gap for the roll bar mount to work unfortunately. I may need to try and modify a front reflector mount to work with one of the clips.

mtbr member
    You could try the handlebar mount, mount it to the stem and flip the camera upside down. Most editing software will flip the footage back for you, or you can set the gopro to do it. Might be a thought?

rubber side down
    May 2007
    if you are talking gopro, sometimes you can use a rollbar mount on your crown, stanchion leg, but be careful it do not fall off.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    You could try the handlebar mount, mount it to the stem and flip the camera upside down. Most editing software will flip the footage back for you, or you can set the gopro to do it. Might be a thought?
    I thought of that but I tend to sway my handlebars back and forth quite a bit when picking lines. Wouldn't that make you a little dizzy? Maybe it's not as pronounced as I think it is.

I'll have to try to squeeze it in other places too. There may be just enough room on the crown to get it to fit.

mtbr member
    I get seasick with the handlebar view, it's true, but in my limited experience (two times now) the movement of looking like you're riding out a hurricane in a canoe is much less on the stem. And while the headtube mount is a good one for stability, it seems difficult to consistently get the cables routed out of the way (disclaimer: I've never done headtube mount but have worked with several videos shot that way by other riders). If you mount to the stem above the handlebar, you miss the cables too, although your pov is a little higher.

Ride Responsibly
    I made a head tube mount for my Oregon Scientific video camera using PVC pipe adapters. 1 1/4 by 3/4 slip tee, cut off half the big side to fit the head tube. Mount with old inner tube and zipp ties. Add tubing and elbows as needed.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    I get seasick with the handlebar view, it's true, but in my limited experience (two times now) the movement of looking like you're riding out a hurricane in a canoe is much less on the stem. And while the headtube mount is a good one for stability, it seems difficult to consistently get the cables routed out of the way (disclaimer: I've never done headtube mount but have worked with several videos shot that way by other riders). If you mount to the stem above the handlebar, you miss the cables too, although your pov is a little higher.
    Hmmm maybe I'll try the stem mount and see how it works then. Good point about the cables, I hadn't completely thought about that.

Quote Originally Posted by LWright View Post
    I made a head tube mount for my Oregon Scientific video camera using PVC pipe adapters. 1 1/4 by 3/4 slip tee, cut off half the big side to fit the head tube. Mount with old inner tube and zipp ties. Add tubing and elbows as needed.
    Interesting, I'm all for the DIY!

mtbr member
    Any pics?

Although I can mount my Ram mount on the head tube with zip ties, there's little preventing it from rotating off center, So I'll need to figure out a way to support it from both sides but connected at both the front badge area and between the top and down tubes connection for support.

Ride Responsibly
    Here are some pics just to spark the imagination. Mounting on the top tube avoids the cable interference.
    Or maybe not!!
    "You may not post attachments"
    WTF?
    OK try again.

Maybe you could build using the clamps for a roof rack??
    Last edited by LWright; 06-16-2012 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Here are some pics just to spark the imagination. Mounting on the top tube avoids the cable interference.
    Or maybe not!!
    "You may not post attachments"
    WTF?
    OK try again.
    Maybe you could build using the clamps for a roof rack??
    Thanks for posting!

Hmmm ... some interesting ideas there. I might give the top tube mount a try since I have the hardware for that. On your head badge mount, does the piece of inner tube help prevent anything from rotating? It looks like you have a zip tie up top and a velcro type of loop around the bottom of the head tube. How does this fare in rough terrain? Does the inner tube help keep it pointed straight well enough?

Ride Responsibly
    I have only tried this out a few times, it worked for me but I ride slow, wheels on the ground. And the trails around Oroville are fairly smooth. The inner-tube between the pieces does help to keep it in place. Might want to carry extra inner-tube to wrap the whole affair with if it moves around too much.
    I enjoy tinkering and DYI. The risk of impalement might keep real manufactures from developing such a thing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've using a mini ultra pod for improvising mounts around the bike and also attaching the go pro to a pole for other shots. I'll take a couple of shots and post them up in a mo

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Here's my suggestion. I havent tried it yet