mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Have GoPro finally sorted out the Hero 3 Black Freezing Issues

Hi guys

I got 4 Hero 3's back in May for my camera rental business and I had to send them all back cos the all kept freezing and were pretty much unusable. Got 4 Silvers and no problems at all.

Has anybody recently bought a camera and how reliable have they been.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Kev

banned
    Aug 2013
    Most of the alleged "freezing" problems were not due to the camera but rather dodgy cards that were rated Class 10 but did not in fact meet the Class 10 specs.

In my case the Sandisk 64gb Class 10 card caused many freezing and shut down problems. Once I switched cards (Transcend) it has worked flawlessly.

Lots of info online about the card problem if you search.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drifty bits View Post
    Most of the alleged "freezing" problems were not due to the camera but rather dodgy cards that were rated Class 10 but did not in fact meet the Class 10 specs.

In my case the Sandisk 64gb Class 10 card caused many freezing and shut down problems. Once I switched cards (Transcend) it has worked flawlessly.

Lots of info online about the card problem if you search.
    Thanks for the reply.

I've been using using the same Samsung 32Gb class 10 cards in the Silvers that I used in the Blacks and they have been fine??

banned
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruzKev View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I've been using using the same Samsung 32Gb class 10 cards in the Silvers that I used in the Blacks and they have been fine??
    The chip on the silvers is smaller which means the max data rate is less than the blacks. My black was purchased in December.

Ride More, Whine Less

Have GoPro finally sorted out the Hero 3 Black Freezing Issues

There is a recent firmware update that throttles back the data transfer rate for all but a select few cards to fix this problem. Since I've gone to Wasabi batteries, the camera is near perfect.

banned
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    There is a recent firmware update that throttles back the data transfer rate for all but a select few cards to fix this problem.
    Only affects 4k, 2.7k or Protune capture and even if your card is not on the list you can still capture at 45mb/sec depending upon the throughput of your card. The firmware notes don't jive with real life use in some cases.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ive had freezing problems prior to the recent firmware upgrade. after the recent upgrade, im able to record until my battery dies on me... which is at least close to two hours.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    What is your guy's go-to mountain biking setting? 1080 p 60 fps is great, but the files are so large they tend bog down my computer. By the time you post it to YouTube or burn a DVD you are gonna lose quality anyway anyway. To me 720 p at 60 fps seems to work pretty good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    For me, updating the firmware fixed my hero 3 black. You can see other stuff about the hero 3 black at www.thehonestreviews.com/video/gopro-hero3-black-edition-review/
    Last edited by DreamBanger; 09-25-2013 at 08:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Posted elsewhere but didn't get an answer, but my issue could be related to the OP's. When I view a recorded segment the picture is "glitchy", meaning that it stops/jumps every few seconds. It's very subtle, but it's there. I've noticed other posted YouTube videos with the same issue. Is this related to the card also?

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by White Bear View Post
    Posted elsewhere but didn't get an answer, but my issue could be related to the OP's. When I view a recorded segment the picture is "glitchy", meaning that it stops/jumps every few seconds. It's very subtle, but it's there. I've noticed other posted YouTube videos with the same issue. Is this related to the card also?
    Could be anything from the video card processing the file to defective source on the card. It could be natural--all videos are based on frames per second, so they are all glitchy to a minor degree. If I had to bet, I would bet it is a playback issue on your computer and not the source.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Could be anything from the video card processing the file to defective source on the card. It could be natural--all videos are based on frames per second, so they are all glitchy to a minor degree. If I had to bet, I would bet it is a playback issue on your computer and not the source.
    I don't believe that it's the PC, as I've tried on two and have seen it on both.

Here is a recent link that shows the issue, but it's hard to see until the action slows down.

EPIC FAIL CHATEL, FRANCE 2013 - YouTube

Ride More, Whine Less
    If you are seeing the problem when it is in slow motion, then there is a simple explanation -- frame rate. The source was probably recorded at 30 frames per second. Old movie theater film is 24 frames per second. This is the break even point where your eyes can start detecting the individual images. Slower you can see it as stop action; faster it looks "live". When you take a 30 fps source and slow it to half speed, you get 15 fps. You can see this. The movie making software can help interpolate the differences frame to frame and make it look better, but generally you can see it. The video you posted has slow motion at probably 1/4 speed--very much like a stop action film. This is part of the reason the gopro can record at 60+ fps. This will make for smooth slow motion because you can slow it to half speed and still be at 30fps. But, to show it on youtube or anything like that, the >30 FPS is downsampled into 30fps so even high source fps requires processing. This causes some loss of continuity and choppiness can occur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you are seeing the problem when it is in slow motion, then there is a simple explanation --.
    No, I was not referring to slo-mo footage, but I do understand what you were referring to. My issue is running 720 or 1080 at normal speed. Could you see in the attached footage, toward the end, the presence of "choppiness"?

Seems like the problem is pretty widespread. Here is a link to a good explanation:

Understanding Your New GoPro

Ride More, Whine Less
    Well, I'm not seeing anything that I think is a problem. YouTube and other video hosting sites add tremendous compression. In addition, I don't think anybody looks for cinema quality movies using $100-$400 cameras viewed over the internet.

Back to your question--apparently the problem exists. Now you need to decide if you really care that it does. I don't.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Please disregard. Found my answer. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by drifty bits View Post
    In my case the Sandisk 64gb Class 10 card caused many freezing and shut down problems.
    I'm trying to help a buddy trouble shoot. Would the card in question have been Sandisk Ultra? (I see they have Ultra, Extreme and Extreme Pro all of which are, supposedly, class 10.)

Thanks
    Last edited by Dugly; 10-09-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Answer found