MC MasterShake

GP3 Black - Anyone have issues with theirs?

I picked one up last night at the local Best Buy and threw in a brand new class 10 Sandisk 32GB card. After updating the firmware I tried taking some test videos. When I played them back on my laptop the video would stop and start every 10 seconds are so. Almost like it was skipping. I tried all sorts of resolutions and it did it on every type. It was much worse when I turned ProTune on. It wouldn't even play any smooth video at all. I tried re-flashing the camera and I formatted the card like 5 times. I ended up returning it this morning for a full refund.

mtbr member
    I have a Gopro Hero 3 Black too and am not seeing the start and stop that you are with my laptop and I have a 64gb sandisk class 10 card. When you played them back were you playing them directly from the camera through usb or other? If you hadn't returned it I would have tried copying the video file to your computers hard drive and play from there. Also what are the specs of your laptop. Mine plays fine on my laptop which has a 1st gen i7 quad core processor, 6gb ram, Nvidia 330m 1gb video card, I tried to play the same 1080p 60fps files on my older desktop computer which only has a dual core core 2 duo processor, 4gb ram, 8800gts 640mb video card and it would skip and pause constantly making it unplayable, but that is b/c of the old hardware can't keep up. The dual core processor was maxed right out. While on my laptop with the i7 processor I could play the video and 1080p 60fps and it averaged 10% on the processor. So it could be your laptop isn't up to snuff, maybe the sd card was faulty, or possibly even the camera, but seeing how you already returned it I guess we won't know.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    sounds to me more like your computer's vid card is lacking.../?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Agree with the others. 98% sure the camera is not the problem. What are your laptop specs? The fact that it's worse with protune (with the dramatically increased data rate) is pretty telling that the laptop is the weak link. And like MaximusHQ said, you're more likely to have those sorts of problems if you're playing videos straight from the camera rather than copying them to your hard drive first.

I'm curious...why return the camera and then post here about it?

MC MasterShake
    No, it's not my laptop. I have a 2 year old Mac Book Air that has a stateless drive. I can play movies from my HD2 w/Protune w/o any problems as well as Contour movies and movies from my camera. Works fine even over USB.

Yes, I tried copying the files locally and playing them and there was no difference. While playing I checked both the CPU and GPU on my machine and neither were close to being maxed out. I also tried using a different movie player (VLC) and it was actually worse.

The card I have works fine in my HD2 and my Canon S100 camera for both videos and pictures.

The reason I posted was to see if anyone else on mtbr has had this problem. I've done some Google searches and found that a bunch of people have had this problem and had to either return the camera or send it in to GoPro

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I hadn't heard about that being an issue. And I've never heard of this kind of issue with a camera. I'm not fully convinced it's the camera, but that sucks nonetheless. I'm guessing Best Buy didn't have another Hero3 Black because I'm sure you would have tried another one.

You don't mention what resolution and frame rate you're shooting at. The Hero3 Black is capable of double the frame rate at a given resolution of the Hero2 and probably the Contour, and definitely the S100 whose data rate is likely not even close to the Protune mode of your Heros. So if you're shooting at 720p @ 120fps, 1080p @ 60fps, 1440p @ 48fps, 2.7k, or 4k that's going to take significantly more computing power to playback smoothly than any of your other cameras.

BTW, the MacBook Air is a sweet machine, but they're not built for demanding stuff like working with HD video.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDangit View Post
    I hadn't heard about that being an issue. And I've never heard of this kind of issue with a camera. I'm not fully convinced it's the camera, but that sucks nonetheless. I'm guessing Best Buy didn't have another Hero3 Black because I'm sure you would have tried another one.
    Yeah, well I'm very comfortable with technology and I scoured the Interwebs trying everything I could find to get it to work. Probably spent a good 5 or 6 hours total. Very frustrating. I found a handful of people on forums that had the same problem. They either returned the camera or sent into GP for replacement. Sounds like it's not as huge as the freezing problem that I did encounter on both the GP3 and GP2+Protune.

Yeah, that was the last one BB had but after that experience I was not stoked on GoPro. I was briefly tempted to get the Contour+2 but I wisely resisted. I'm gonna stick with the GP2 and wait for the next renditions from GP, Contour, Sony.

You don't mention what resolution and frame rate you're shooting at. The Hero3 Black is capable of double the frame rate at a given resolution of the Hero2 and probably the Contour, and definitely the S100 whose data rate is likely not even close to the Protune mode of your Heros. So if you're shooting at 720p @ 120fps, 1080p @ 60fps, 1440p @ 48fps, 2.7k, or 4k that's going to take significantly more computing power to playback smoothly than any of your other cameras.
    I tried 1080P@60, 1080P@30, 720P@120, 720P@60, 960@48, 1440p@48. All of them had the same exact level of skippyness on playback. With Protune on and different resolutions had the same results except more skippyness then w/o protune. With my GP2 I normally shoot at 720P@60 or 960@48 it never ever skips, even with protune on.

BTW, the MacBook Air is a sweet machine, but they're not built for demanding stuff like working with HD video.
    Agreed. I never have problems playing video but when I start making movies with IMovie it bogs down pretty bad.

Fat & Single
    They have delayed the release of the black here in Australia because of WiFi issues.... i sold my hero2 banking on a mid November release
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

enV
    don't lose your adventure
    I just ordered 2 Silver 3's because I haven't heard or experienced great reliability with the WiFi remote set up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I had issues with the camera creating blank files, but formatting the card multiple times in the camera seems to have to fixed that. I have the class 10 uhs1 sandisk 64gb.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i also had to format mine a few times, i have the same card

also sometimes mine refuses to turn on

i have to wait 10 seconds try again and then it does or doesnt

eventually I can get it to go on, but sometimes it takes a lot of tries

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by kitejumping View Post
    I had issues with the camera creating blank files, but formatting the card multiple times in the camera seems to have to fixed that. I have the class 10 uhs1 sandisk 64gb.
    I'd recommend staying away from Sandisk.. no clue why but I've found many manufactures of things have issues with their cards.. I didn't believe it but even my 75 yr old mother has issues with them.. OK.. I'll explain...

My mother uses multiple computer driven sewing and embroidery machines .. always had issue with Sandisk cards , to the point were one manufacturer went out and printed it right on the box and the manual that they wont support the use of the brand,.. also saw a guy who uses CAD driven routers and plasma cutters who's machine recommend against the Sandisk brand... don't ask me why as I have no clue, but something about their memory architecture doesn't agree with some electronics ...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hate to tell you this. But it is your laptop. My 1 year old Mac Mini 16GB of RAM, and SSD will have the same problem unless no other apps are running while playing back video.

mtbr member
    I got the HD3 as soon as it came out and have on and off issues with it. The firmware update helped with some of the original problems.

I haven't had any issues with stuttering video. But I have a fast MacPro with fast drives and video card. Oh, you mention that you have a "stateless" drive in your laptop. Is that an SSD? The speed of accessing the video from the drive needs to be factored into the equation.

Also, take a look at the video information in the files that you can and can't play. Open with MPEG Streamclip or Quicktime then display the info window (Cmd-I). The Data Rate value is the most interesting. On one of my 720/60 Raw files the rate is 35 Mbit/s. On a non Protune or Raw file the rate is around half that.

I've had a few problems with the HD3 failing to write, or not turning on correctly, and in one case it would turn on but get stuck in video+photo mode.

I think I've figured out one reason for the problems. I use a card reader to speed up access to the card. It's great when copying a large amount of data. But, I have a Mac and one of the things that the system will do is write to the card even when I'm only copying from the card. It will place folders for the trash and some others.

I found this article informative: .Trashes, .fseventsd, and .Spotlight-V100

So what I've done is to clear out these files/folders. Once I did that I stopped seeing the problems with writing to the card. And I haven't had the weird startup errors.

To see if you have these files/folders and you are comfortable with the Terminal app then mount the card, when it shows up on the desktop, run Terminal, change to the card's folder:

Code:
    cd /Volumes/NameOfYourCard
    List the files/folders on the card:

Code:
    ls -la
    If you see ".Trashes" or ",fseventsd" then they should be removed. Enter the following to remove each:

Code:
    rm -rf .Trashes
    rm -rf .fseventsd
    Or if you need superuser permission, prefix the above with "sudo". And be very careful with the above commands. You can erase all of the data on your drive if you don't specify the correct file/folder to erase.

Once you have removed the files/folders, exit Terminal, then eject the card.

After that point only mount the card with the read-only switch enabled. By making it read-only the Mac won't be able to write those files. Be sure to slide the read-only switch to read-write before placing it back in your GoPro.

Btw - I'm using Sandisk 32gb cards and have never had a problem with them with any of my cameras. I also have two Transcend cards that have been reliable.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

MC MasterShake
    Just to update folks I finally heard back from GoPro and after some back and forth I sent them some of the videos I had created. They agreed the camera was faulty and said they would have replaced it under warranty if I still had it. I may try the GP3 in the future but I'm going to wait until the price drops a little. Now to get my GP2 fixed. That's a whole other can o worms...