Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Got a GoPro 3 for xmas, now what?

I got the gopro 3 silver for christmas, yay!

So now I need to get a micro sd card and various mounting options.

Any suggestions? Is a 32gig sandisk micro SD card big/fast enough?

I'd like to get a helmet mount, handlebar / seatpost mount, and maybe a chest mount.

Any suggestions? Is Gopro the only one who makes them, or are there better/cheaper options.

Thanks!
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    As far as memory, look at the speed (class of the card); I'd suggest a class number of 6.

I was going to suggest RAM mounts--I know they make them for Contour--I'm sure they would for gopro as well.

Airborne Flight Crew
    You'll need a class 10 card if you want to take full advantage of the 4k capabilities on the Hero 3 (as recommended by GoPro).

Not sure what your computer system is like, but probably a fast video card, more ram, and some decent software to edit with (Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and Power Director seem popular).

And congrats, it's a pretty cool little camera, digging mine so far
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    You'll need a class 10 card if you want to take full advantage of the 4k capabilities on the Hero 3 (as recommended by GoPro).

Not sure what your computer system is like, but probably a fast video card, more ram, and some decent software to edit with (Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and Power Director seem popular).

And congrats, it's a pretty cool little camera, digging mine so far
    Well, yes he would if he had the Black edition. The Silver doesn't do 4K, just 1080.

That said, I'd still go with the class 10 (I did with my Contour).

And as for "now what"?, that's easy... you go make some videos to share with us!!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Ride More, Whine Less
    Yes, to the class 10 memory card. As for size, 16 GB seems like a good starting point. Best buy had these for $17 before Christmas. If you can find a 32 GB card for the price of 2 -16GB cards, I would get the 32.

I picked up a chesty mount and like it.

I'm looking at other mounting options now. I plan to make a homemade mount using an old reflector mount and the double sided tape mounts that came with the camera. This would be for a rear view shot. I experimented with a bar mount, and that didn't work well (too much high speed panning).

Airborne Flight Crew
    I have a roll-bar mount that works pretty good for down tube, seat tube and top tube mounting. Love the chesty too, I often use it to fix the camera to trees or other objects for off-camera shots.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post

I'd like to get a helmet mount, handlebar / seatpost mount, and maybe a chest mount.

Any suggestions? Is Gopro the only one who makes them, or are there better/cheaper options.

Thanks!
    32GB is large enough for a decent amount of recording - the amount of recording varies with how large of a resolution you record at...1080 will take more space than 720p and 720p more space than 480p.

I record at 720p and have went an entire day of recording with both a 16gb and 32gb in my gopro's (16gb / Hero HD and 32gb / Hero 2) and still had plenty of space on both cards.. Class 10 on the Hero3 will definitely be recommended. I run that on my Hero 2 and works like a charm.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Ride More, Whine Less
    You might also want to get a card reader to read the cards directly instead of through the camera and the USB cable. The memory cards I picked up had an SD adapter included with the purchase. My laptops have the SD card slot, so it is a snap to read the files directly off the card.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I got a Hero3 for Christmas too. Can't wait to use it. I need to get my hands on a memory card and do the updates.

What's the cheapest software I can get to start making videos?
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruAtma View Post

Thanks!
    DON'T get Sandisk if you can help it!!! there is some kinda hardware architecture in them that can have issues with some electronics. I've had intermittent issues with them and my Contour and my mother has a fancy computer controlled embroidery machine that flat out tells you if you use Sandisk cards they wont Warr the machine/stitching. After market, cheapo, no names work just fine! Class 6 or above with the class 10 like everyone said
    Chest mount is about the best for the Gopro.. handle bars sucks, helmet mounts are odd looking as it's too high and if you're in wooded area you'll probably end up smacking it on a branch. Def get the chest mount first!!

Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I got a Hero3 for Christmas too. Can't wait to use it. I need to get my hands on a memory card and do the updates.

What's the cheapest software I can get to start making videos?
    if on a mac, Imovie is free and it's more than enough for most people to do decent vids, at least at first..
    if PC/windows... there is the Movie Maker free.. it works,... I guess
    the best ones cost $$$$ there are a few cheaper ($50 and under) around by Avid, Corel and a few others, download their demo's a try as the interface is going to be as important as the features and is individual pref. Adobe makes a premiere version for around 100 bucks?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    DON'T get Sandisk if you can help it!!! there is some kinda hardware architecture in them that can have issues with some electronics. I've had intermittent issues with them and my Contour and my mother has a fancy computer controlled embroidery machine that flat out tells you if you use Sandisk cards they wont Warr the machine/stitching. After market, cheapo, no names work just fine! Class 6 or above with the class 10 like everyone said
    Chest mount is about the best for the Gopro.. handle bars sucks, helmet mounts are odd looking as it's too high and if you're in wooded area you'll probably end up smacking it on a branch. Def get the chest mount first!!

if on a mac, Imovie is free and it's more than enough for most people to do decent vids, at least at first..
    if PC/windows... there is the Movie Maker free.. it works,... I guess
    the best ones cost $$$$ there are a few cheaper ($50 and under) around by Avid, Corel and a few others, download their demo's a try as the interface is going to be as important as the features and is individual pref. Adobe makes a premiere version for around 100 bucks?
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I didn't read this post before buying my micro SD card. I bought a Sandisk. Worst case scenario I will use it for a different device.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I didn't read this post before buying my micro SD card. I bought a Sandisk. Worst case scenario I will use it for a different device.
    no stress, it MAY work.. but if you get odd/flippy/missing chunks type vids, try a new card before blaming the cam

PS I get mine from Meritline,com, one of the few places i allow junkmail from. they often have 1 day deals that are unreal on SD/MicroSD cards and other electronics. cheap price and free shipping 99% of the time,.. just don't be in a rush as it'll take a few weeks of shipping usually... got a Class 10 32 gig micro for 13 bucks,... worth the shipping wait
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    no stress, it MAY work.. but if you get odd/flippy/missing chunks type vids, try a new card before blaming the cam

PS I get mine from Meritline,com, one of the few places i allow junkmail from. they often have 1 day deals that are unreal on SD/MicroSD cards and other electronics. cheap price and free shipping 99% of the time,.. just don't be in a rush as it'll take a few weeks of shipping usually... got a Class 10 32 gig micro for 13 bucks,... worth the shipping wait
    Haha...it's funny you mentioned that. I've bought from them before in the past. I was just too eager to wait.

mtbr member
    The sandisk is fine. Never heard of them not working with the gopro 3. Class 10 only.

mtbr member
    Sandisk 16GB class10 works fine with Gopro.
    16GB is enough for daytrips (you'll need more than one battery to use up 16GB of storrage)

I found Windows Moviemaker is a bit of a problem.
    Cyberlinks Power Director works great, So does Premiere (I heard).
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    for basic chopping up into useable pieces and converting gopro makes their own little editor CineForm Studio: Software Download shooting in cam raw and then using the protune in the software seems to yield consistently better results than in camera protune and encoding

another freebie besides the windows movie maker is handbrake which will help you transcode things for youtube/vimeo
    HandBrake

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    The sandisk is fine. Never heard of them not working with the gopro 3. Class 10 only.
    Same. I picked up the 64gb sandisk on amazon for $38.99 around black friday. Class 10 only!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ka-tu View Post
    Same. I picked up the 64gb sandisk on amazon for $38.99 around black friday. Class 10 only!
    Wow, great price. I got mine for 58.00 on ebay and thought that was a screaming deal. Good find.

Singletrack +1
    I personally love iMovie '11. Its worth it, simple, intuitive, and allows sound editing in conjunction with video. So easy to use. The trailer creator is fun to play with for sure. The program Final Cut ProX is AMAZING. Just a little pricey ($300) but the software will do more than you can imagine.
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

Slowest Rider

Go Pro 3 Black eats Memory, Battery

My new Black is working perfectly. It'll take me a while to learn how to use it better though, as it's my first video camera. I'm reading these threads here and elsewhere to learn myself.

I've seen lots of discussion on mounting location with no clear answer. I've been trying mounts at different levels: the fork, chest mount, and helmet. The fork mount (with a post from the handlebars) gives the best view of the trail, but very shaky. The chest mount gives the best view with mild shake. The helmet has only slightly less shake than the chest and is somewhat boring. Maybe the helmet works better if I'm following riders?

The Android App works fine and great for setting and preview for mount adjustment. But it took me a while to figure I needed to connect the WiFi outside the app first.

My 64 GB SanDisk Class 10 memory is working fine. GoPro recommends SanDisk so it's what I bought. And, for this this and other reasons, I needed to buy a new computer with more and faster memory, hard disk, graphics,...

I found that the GoPro 3 Black in the default 1440x1920, 48 FPS mode will chew up 7.5 GB (at 12.5 GB/h) and drain a full battery in just 37 minutes of filming. I'm turning off the WiFi after adjusting settings and the mount, or battery life would be even less.

I now carry 4 batteries after running out, which gets me to 2.4 hours and 30 GB per ride. I haven't yet tried the lower resolutions that may be acceptable with the shaking anyway. And ProTune will be an even bigger hog of memory and battery than now.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    My new Black is working perfectly. It'll take me a while to learn how to use it better though, as it's my first video camera. I'm reading these threads here and elsewhere to learn myself.

I've seen lots of discussion on mounting location with no clear answer. I've been trying mounts at different levels: the fork, chest mount, and helmet. The fork mount (with a post from the handlebars) gives the best view of the trail, but very shaky. The chest mount gives the best view with mild shake. The helmet has only slightly less shake than the chest and is somewhat boring. Maybe the helmet works better if I'm following riders?

The Android App works fine and great for setting and preview for mount adjustment. But it took me a while to figure I needed to connect the WiFi outside the app first.

My 64 GB SanDisk Class 10 memory is working fine. GoPro recommends SanDisk so it's what I bought. And, for this this and other reasons, I needed to buy a new computer with more and faster memory, hard disk, graphics,...

I found that the GoPro 3 Black in the default 1440x1920, 48 FPS mode will chew up 7.5 GB (at 12.5 GB/h) and drain a full battery in just 37 minutes of filming. I'm turning off the WiFi after adjusting settings and the mount, or battery life would be even less.

I now carry 4 batteries after running out, which gets me to 2.4 hours and 30 GB per ride. I haven't yet tried the lower resolutions that may be acceptable with the shaking anyway. And ProTune will be an even bigger hog of memory and battery than now.
    I would be interested on what you come up with. I too have struggled with location of camera and such. I have the LCD and battery backpac and will not use the lcd as my rides are 2.5 hours or so. I have never liked the helmet or chest point of view, but always liked the fork best, but can't find the right mount for it. I don't know if brake squeal will be bad like it was on the bar.

Also not sure what's best to shoot at, 1080P or 1440@60. On YouTube it doesn't matter much because they condense the heck out of the video, so I need to know which settings are best for YouTube.

mtbr member
    I just took my gopro silver out for it's first ride. I was fine on battery and space. I took 34 minutes @720p/60fps

The LCD bacpac is really nice and just so you know you can turn the LCD panel off when filming to save battery. I only have an 8gb card and can take 1h10m with it.

I used the bar mount and it wasn't shaking bad just panning back and forth cuz I was dying the whole ride.. damn mud was sucking me down.

I was very impressed with it. I would like to get the chest mount next. I think that would improve my shots a lot.

Ride More, Whine Less
    I've been using the chest mount and sort of like it. But, I am going to transform some old reflectors into a seat post mount and maybe a bar mount for variety on rides.

Airborne Flight Crew
    If you're not viewing on a large HD screen, performing cropping, or planning on lots of slow mo in post - you're probably not gaining much my shooting in 1440x1920, except for very large file size (and possibly more battery drain - not sure there). Why not just shoot in 960p?

The chesty mount can be pretty stable, but I usually have a camelback on as well, and use the chest strap on that to help secure the chesty mount - works well. For fork and frame mounts, you just have to get those things super tight. I have their roll bar mount, which is similar to the seat post mount, just beefier/bigger. Seems to make a bit of a difference too.

I'm not sure which settings are best for exporting - I use Adobe Premiere most of the time and process my vids out at 720, I might try a higher setting to see what works - but also post mainly to Vimeo. Going to give the GoPro software a try soon.

Whats strange, is I see some VERY high quality/smooth looking videos on youtube and vimeo - and the videos on the GoPro sight look incredible as well. Theirs have to be compressed to play on the web (like youtube and vimeo), it would be keen to know what settings they use...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Ride More, Whine Less
    One thing I learned is that the youtube antivibration does a remarkable job with the chest mount. The problem is if you have titles or other annotations in the video. Those go crazy with the stabilization routines. iMovie has a stabilization routines that can be used that would happen before the titles are applied. That could work, but I haven't tried those routines.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast