mtbr member

GoProHD slow mo playback

I try to shot some videos in slow-mo (r3 mode) but on the screen of my computer they play like regular videos. What i'm doing wrong?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The 60fps mode isn't a slow motion mode per se, it just has 60 frames per second, so a half speed slow mo vid has the same framerate as a 30fps.

mtbr member
    So, i must render video in editing program to make slow-mo?

mtbr member
    Yes, you need to change the speed setting within an editor. For example, in Premiere, Final Cut Pro, or iMovie you can select the clip, display the context menu, and change the speed by a percentage. When you slow down (reduce the speed) of a clip you are actually lengthing the time of the clip. If your timeline is 30fps (or 25fps pal) and you shoot 2 seconds of video at 30fps (or 25fps pal) then slow it down by 50% then your clip will then be 4 seconds long. To do this your video editor needs to spread out the 2 seconds of frames (2s * 30fps = 60 frames) from your clip to fill in the new length (4s * 30fps = 120 frames).

Since your source clip only has 60 frames total your video editor must create new frames to fill out the new length of 120 frames. It may do this by inserting a duplicate frame every frame or possibly creating a merge of two adjacent frames. These new frames can give the footage a less clean look. Softer images or pulsing can be the outcome.

What's nice about shooting 60fps is that you can cleanly reduce the speed by 50% and still have nice looking footage at 30fps. That's because the edit program can use all of the 60fps to expand the clip length and won't need to create any new frames. When your video is played you also don't see those reduces quality frames.

But the bottom line is that if you want to slow down footage then try to shoot at a faster frame rate.

Phew, that was a long winded probably confusing explanation. Hmm, let me see if I can find a better description... Ok, check out this link:

http://gizmodo.com/5164508/tips-for-...w+motion-video
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

Roll on Spring Time!
    Clear explanation and good tip, thanks.
    I just want to ride.