mtbr member
    May 2011

gopro3, what its missing is an image stabilizer

lol check this out for motion sickness central for the viewer

Bouncing camera, motion sickness central oh yeah - YouTube

mtbr member
    I don't think is that much worse than any other helmet mounted videos.

Post processing can fix it and, so can YouTube.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

RideDirt
    Dude that looks perfectly normal to me , nothing wrong at all .. You will have some motion , i mean its not like your riding on a smooth paved road ya know what im sayin ?.. Video is great, and by the way dont use the stabilizer from YouTube , will mess up your video .

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Dude that looks perfectly normal to me , nothing wrong at all .. You will have some motion , i mean its not like your riding on a smooth paved road ya know what im sayin ?.. Video is great, and by the way dont use the stabilizer from YouTube , will mess up your video .
    I'll try repost with my editing software with imagestabilize on. I can't even watch my own videos to edit unless I make it tiny Window I get such motion sickness

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    actually it looks pretty good...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    stabilizer software made the image much softer and worse

most people who I show the video to dont seem to mind the bouncing around at all

the detail level is definitely better than i got with my gopro 2

so I guess im happy in the end with what I got there. I'll let it be. thx

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    lol check this out for motion sickness central for the viewer
    Wow man, you must be really prone to motion sickness. That looks smoother than most. I can't imagine what you were expecting it to look like considering this is such a bumpy sport. IMO, if it were perfectly smooth it wouldn't look right.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    im very prone to motion sickness on a screen for some reason

sometimes i have to stop playing video games too because I almost puke

at places like theme parks there is zero chance I can sit in one of those moving theaters

seems like no one has issues but me really so all is good

I really filmed that trail so i can learn it better so I can maybe go faster I keep forgetting the lines its too long a trail

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    im very prone to motion sickness on a screen for some reason
    Better to get sick from a screen than riding the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDangit View Post
    Better to get sick from a screen than riding the bike.
    yeah i get zero sickness from mountain biking

I surf in large swell no issues

I can read books in cars and on buses no problems

but stick me in front of something that is moving when I am not and my brain just says no thank you. what was that movie? cloverfield? I had to leave after approx 5 minutes, had to go lie on a bench for 60 minutes hehe

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    It looks perfectly fine, as far as helmet cams go. There's only so much you can do to stabilize a camera on rough terrain.

What I would suggest though, if you have an editing program that can do this, is bump up the color saturation a little. You're riding in a fog, so things are a little grey. There's a lot of brilliancy to be brought out of the colors in that clip to make them look not so bland.

mtbr member
    yeah i get zero sickness from mountain biking

I surf in large swell no issues

I can read books in cars and on buses no problems

but stick me in front of something that is moving when I am not and my brain just says no thank you. what was that movie? cloverfield? I had to leave after approx 5 minutes, had to go lie on a bench for 60 minutes hehe
    Simulator sickness.

In my first squadron, we had a pilot who would get sick (nauseated and headaches) after flying the simulator, but in the real jet, he was just fine and a very good pilot.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    If you use the image stabilize filter on Youtube or your video app then try filming in the 960p setting so that there's more vertical image for the filter to work with. To stabilize, the filter will crop your image and optionally scale the cropped image to fit the original space. The scaling can soften the image that's been stabilized.

I'll sometimes do the following workflow:

1. Capture in 960p
    2. Run footage through stabilizer in After Effects but not rescale it (only stabilize/crop)
    3. At this point the footage is still 960p but it will have blank areas around the edges that were left by the stabilization.
    4. Create a new timeline/sequence that's 1280x720.
    5. Add the stabilized footage to this new sequence. The footage will have the top and bottom edges cropped to match the 720p sequence setting.
    4. Render that sequence.

Cropping the 960p to 720p removes most if not all of the area left blank by the stabilization and puts it into a format that youtube, etc. will import without rescaling.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Stabilizer definitely wouldn't hurt things. I was considering jumping to the Sony Helmet cam from my gopro. In the end, the benefits of the Black Edition far out way the savings of the Sony. The stabilizer was one of those features that almost pulled me over.

-joel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Post processing can fix it and, so can YouTube.
    Only problem with doing that is stabilizing in post destroys quality
    Check out my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/quikcolin

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think in post with software, you could save sooome quality. Youtube destroys it though.

I was initially thinking that they couldn't put a stabilizer in there due to the form factor. However, I realized that the Nokia Lumia 920 phone has image stabilization built in. I'm pretty sure its optical stabilization vs software stabilization. Either way, it works pretty good. I would love to see that in future versions of the GoPro.

-joel

mtbr member
    I doubt that in camera stabilization would help with the type of shake and motion within these helmet cams. In cam stabilization is usually designed to handle the shake you would create when hand holding a camera. And it tends to perform poorly when the camera is panned or tilted. Some higher end cameras and lenses support optical stabilization which can be switched to support "action" shots with panning/tilting movement. But to get that support in a helmet cam would be difficult because of cost, weight, size, etc.. But we can dream.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website