Lightly salted

Gopro3 first video, helmet cam @ 960-48fps

Quick edit filmed at 960- 48fps. Local ride. Make sure to watch in 720p hd for best quality.

mtbr member
    Nice trail and video.

But having a head/face in the shot that NEVER MOVES is just unnerving!! I know it's moving, but relative to the camera, it's not, so it looks fixed. I think videos shot from the top of the helmet take that distraction out.

Maybe it's just me.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Parking Lot Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Nice trail and video.

But having a head/face in the shot that NEVER MOVES is just unnerving!! I know it's moving, but relative to the camera, it's not, so it looks fixed. I think videos shot from the top of the helmet take that distraction out.

Maybe it's just me.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Cool video, but why do they call it Rockville ??

What was the track that was playing??
    feelin good is good enough

MC MasterShake
    Having the face is odd but I do like that I can see the front wheel and bars. What mount were you using? Can you move it more forward and closer to the face?

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmatty View Post

What was the track that was playing??
    The song is Bruno Mars, locked out of heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Having the face is odd but I do like that I can see the front wheel and bars. What mount were you using? Can you move it more forward and closer to the face?
    The camera is mounted to the side of my helmet with the stick on curved mount. It's light enough that I don't really notice the extra weight. I like videos that show handlebars, front tire, rider input. I really don't like the videos where you just see a trail infront of you and the top of a helmet. I tried the chest mount several times, but would only get shakey video. I might try some custom mounting on the side of the headtube to try and catch the front wheel rolling the trail with out a face in the video. That will be my next project.

Last edited by fuenstock; 11-19-2012 at 12:39 PM.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    The camera is mounted to the side of my helmet with the stick on curved mount. It's light enough that I don't really notice the extra weight. I like videos that show handlebars, front tire, rider input. I really don't like the videos where you just see a trail infront of you and the top of a helmet. I tried the chest mount several times, but would only get shakey video. I might try some custom mounting on the side of the headtube next.
    I tried the headtube with my Contour. Was kinda cool for some things but kinda weird for others. Definitely useable footage to switch things up a bit but not great for primary filming.

I too like having some bike involved when filming. The traditional helmet mount is also kinda shaky and it's only good if your filming someone ahead of you riding.

I agree the Chesty is way too shaky and I have short torso so it's difficult for me to get a good angle going. Plus it's uncomfortable as crap!

So more on this helmet mount. Is it custom? I'm looking for something that I can stick pretty close to my helmet that won't rattle like crazy and won't feel too heavy. That's the one great thing about the Contour is it's easy to stick to your helmet and get that perfect helmet shot but the quality just isn't there yet.

Lightly salted

So more on this helmet mount. Is it custom? I'm looking for something that I can stick pretty close to my helmet that won't rattle like crazy and won't feel too heavy..
    I just used the stock gopro mounts. I did buy a new helmet, one with alot of support. You can see my helmet is almost like a dirt jumpers helmet. It fits very snug, but comfortable. That helped the camera not feel heavy or like it was moving the helmet around on my head in the rough trail sections.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Ahh! Where'd you get that 90 degree knuckle mount? The grab bag? Did you have an HD2 prior? I'm wondering if the HD2 will be too bulky/heavy to do this with an XC helmet.

mtbr member
    I tried the headtube with my Contour. Was kinda cool for some things but kinda weird for others. Definitely useable footage to switch things up a bit but not great for primary filming.

I too like having some bike involved when filming. The traditional helmet mount is also kinda shaky and it's only good if your filming someone ahead of you riding.

I agree the Chesty is way too shaky and I have short torso so it's difficult for me to get a good angle going. Plus it's uncomfortable as crap!

So more on this helmet mount. Is it custom? I'm looking for something that I can stick pretty close to my helmet that won't rattle like crazy and won't feel too heavy. That's the one great thing about the Contour is it's easy to stick to your helmet and get that perfect helmet shot but the quality just isn't there yet.
    I use the headtube mount, too. Sort of.

I can get away with this because I have a Lefty. When I tried it with a regular fork, it was just a maze of cables with the trail behind them. I prefer this to the helmet mount, too, because you can see the tire and fork... but not too much to distract from the trail. And a headtube is not supposed to move!

I'm not a fan of the chest mount because of the ET like quality your arms get from the wide angle. And your legs when they're on the up part of your pedal stroke.

I think I'd be less freaked out with just the helmet in the picture, though it still seems weird that it's not moving when I know riders are looking all over the place!

Finished video from the headtube mount here: Ute Valley Ride - YouTube if you want to look.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Lightly salted
    Ahh! Where'd you get that 90 degree knuckle mount? The grab bag? Did you have an HD2 prior? I'm wondering if the HD2 will be too bulky/heavy to do this with an XC helmet.
    It's just 2 short links, not a 90* elbow. I did have the gopro2 before so I already had a bunch of diffrent mounts to work with. I used the gopro 2 on the same helmet mount. The gopro3 is lighter, but its only by a small amount. The most important thing I found with the helmet mount is to have a helmet that fits very snug not moving around with the extra weight of the camera.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Finished video from the headtube mount here:
    if you want to look.
    Not sure if it is the camera (Countour vs Hero 3) or the position, but it looks like you have really good depth of field and you are able to see just how steep/deep/big the trail and obstacles are in your vid. I like that placement, nice vid!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blylek View Post
    Not sure if it is the camera (Countour vs Hero 3) or the position, but it looks like you have really good depth of field and you are able to see just how steep/deep/big the trail and obstacles are in your vid. I like that placement, nice vid!
    Thanks. I'm pretty happy with the ROAM overall. Video is pretty good, I think; not professional quality or anything, but for a $90 camera, I can't complain! I snagged it last year when Amazon had a flash sale or whatever they call it. It went for that price for about 8 hours before going back to $200. I should have grabbed 2 or 3!!

And to be honest, even at $200, I'd be pretty content with the videos I'm getting out of it, which is why I'll likely stick with Contour, despite the amazing video of Hero 3 Black edition (that big sensor - I hope Contour can stuff one into their tube form!).
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice video

enV
    don't lose your adventure
    Good video, how was the transition from the 2 to the 3? Been using many 2's for awhile, now have 2 3's on order.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by enV View Post
    Good video, how was the transition from the 2 to the 3? Been using many 2's for awhile, now have 2 3's on order.
    I mainly updated 2 to 3 for the smaller, lighter weight. Besides that the 3 user interface is easier to navigate. Audio and video quality feel better and I really like the increased battery life of the 3 vs the 2.

mtbr member
    cool,effect as if the body, independently of the head

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That trail looks really fun! Nice video.

mtbr member
    Having the face is extremely creepy. Other than that, great trail!

Team Livemedium
    Nice Darkstar Skiahh. Thats how I roll the earth too!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks. I'm pretty happy with the ROAM overall. Video is pretty good, I think; not professional quality or anything, but for a $90 camera, I can't complain! I snagged it last year when Amazon had a flash sale or whatever they call it. It went for that price for about 8 hours before going back to $200. I should have grabbed 2 or 3!!

And to be honest, even at $200, I'd be pretty content with the videos I'm getting out of it, which is why I'll likely stick with Contour, despite the amazing video of Hero 3 Black edition (that big sensor - I hope Contour can stuff one into their tube form!).
    Wow. I want to ride that trail. Also, really like the video quality for that price. + rep.