Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GoPro3

Ride More, Whine Less
    I used mine yesterday at 14F on 1080P/30FPS, protune off, wifi on--it recorded 59 minutes of footage and still had a bar left when I stopped.

NotoriousMHz
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry View Post
    In contrast to your tests, I am consistently only getting ~30 minutes of run time at 1440, 48 FPS. (Maybe the "1h" is a typo?) I ended up buying four batteries for my rides.

I'm in CA with temps in the 50s F. I do forget to turn off the WiFi after adjusting with the GoPro Android app, but WiFi doesn't seem to affect much in your tests.
    Possibly a typo, I'll try and do it again and see what the result is.

I've exchanged the GoPro Battery BacPac for a new on at BestBuy and still the same overheating issues. This was overheating with it naked, not in the waterproof case. I couldn't image how hot it would have got if it was in it's case! I'm currently waiting on a reply back to get the Hero3 exchanged for a new one. Then I'll run some more tests and posts some data. I really hope I don't have any more issues with their products.
    Last edited by MhzMonster; 01-27-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MhzMonster View Post
    Possibly a typo, I'll try and do it again and see what the result is.

I've exchanged the GoPro BacPac for a new on at BestBuy and still the same overheating issues. This was overheating with it naked, not in the waterproof case. I couldn't image how hot it would have got if it was in it's case! I'm currently waiting on a reply back to get the Hero3 exchanged for a new one. Then I'll run some more tests and posts some data. I really hope I don't have any more issues with their products.
    Seems odd that the higher resolution would give a much longer, not shorter life, so I'm also suspecting a typo in your recording (should be 0h 31m instead of 1h 31m) for that reason, as well as 31m matches very well with what I've seen on many uses now.

After trying the 1440 48 FPS recommended default setting, I fell in love with it. I like the nice vertical span of the 4:3 ratio, that sees both sky and under-wheel trail detail simultaneously. I was worried bike motion would make all a blur anyway, but I actually find the chest mount works very well at being stable. Although the scenery is moving fast, and bouncing just enough to look real, the video stays sharp and beautiful, fully retaining the high resolution. (The helmet mount is a little less stable, and the handlebar mount is very jerky but nevertheless a good view sometimes.)

To handle the short battery life, I just went with extra OEM batteries - they're small and quick to change out and keep the overall housing small.

I note my GoPro gets quite warm. I imagine a backpack (battery or LCD) blocks the cooling and only makes more heat. I find their Android App works well for setting up the camera, maybe even better than the LCD as I can comfortably just look at the phone with the camera at any position (head, chest, fork,...). The LCD may be nice for playback, but you can put it on at rest stops. (You're not watching while riding are you?)
    Last edited by BigLarry; 01-27-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

NotoriousMHz
    In contrast to your tests, I am consistently only getting ~30 minutes of run time at 1440, 48 FPS. (Maybe the "1h" is a typo?)...
    Possibly a typo, I'll try and do it again and see what the result is....
    I've tested it again tonight and the results were consistent with the original (when you factor in the difference in runtimes between the OEM and Wasabi batteries). Now keep in mind that none of these tests with ProTune enabled on the Hero3, if you have it enabled, then maybe that's whats causing the discrepancy. I hope this helps.

Model Battery Runtime File Size Recording Mode
    HERO3 WAS 1h 20m 15.3gb 1440p 48 W
    Last edited by MhzMonster; 01-28-2013 at 02:37 AM.
    Adam Christopher

Slowest Rider
    I've tested it again tonight and the results were consistent with the original (when you factor in the difference in runtimes between the OEM and Wasabi batteries). Now keep in mind that none of these tests with ProTools enabled on the Hero3, if you have it enabled, then maybe that's whats causing the discrepancy. I hope this helps.

OK, thanks for the retest. Unfortunately, it's making for more confusion as to the cause of the major discrepancy, a factor of 3.

I clearly get only 30 minutes of video recording time. It causes problems and I've lost video on a ride because of it. I see the battery indicator go down, give a warning and go off at 30 minutes. This has happened on more than one battery.

I'm not sure what you mean by ProTools, I can't find that anywhere in the manual. If you mean Protune, I checked via the Android App and the LCD screen, and both show Protune is off.

The only other difference I can see is that I often leave on the WiFi, but you appear to have it off. I can do a test on that, but your other resolutions only show a minor effect.

Maybe if it's compressing a video on a ride with very dynamic scenes, versus sitting on a desk, it takes more power? I'm stretching here, looking for a reason.

Slowest Rider
    I've tested it again tonight and the results were consistent with the original (when you factor in the difference in runtimes between the OEM and Wasabi batteries). Now keep in mind that none of these tests with ProTools enabled on the Hero3, if you have it enabled, then maybe that's whats causing the discrepancy. I hope this helps.

OK, ran the camera with it sitting on the disk, in your notation, I measure:
    HERO3 OEM 1h 5m 13.5gb 1440p 48 W +WiFi

Again, I just go get why I get so much more time with the camera sitting on my desk than I see in practice on the trail. This time, just over an hour, is about double the life on the trail. Maybe it's hotter inside the waterproof case? That will be my next test.

mtbr member
    Are these times with the optional battery backpac? Thats terrible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I get around 2 hours of recording time with the battery backpack. It's about the size of the Hero2 and has roughly the same battery life, but it has far superior image quality.

Don't you guys stop recording when nothing interesting happens? Even one hour of recording time is plenty if you concentrate on shooting quality material. It helps editing when you don't have tons of obsolete material to go through.

NotoriousMHz
    ...I'm not sure what you mean by ProTools, I can't find that anywhere in the manual. If you mean Protune...

Maybe if it's compressing a video on a ride with very dynamic scenes, versus sitting on a desk, it takes more power? I'm stretching here, looking for a reason.
    Sorry, yes I meant Protune. It could possibly be the camera having to process more data from dynamic scene, but I would think the difference would be minimal. I would say that maybe it was overheating and shutting down at 30mins during your ride, but if you watched the battery indicator drain down, flash the warning, then shut off, it clearly wasn't overheating. What is the file size of your 30min ride?

Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Are these times with the optional battery backpac? Thats terrible.
    No, I have not completed a successful test with the Battery BacPac installed on the Hero3 since the camera overheats and shuts down at around 40mins.
    Adam Christopher

aka...appBLING72

Hero3 Black Multiple freeze up!!

I returned my hero 3 Black edition due to multiple freeze ups. I purchased the San Disk Ultra high speed micro SD, completed firmware updates per GoPro customer service(btw...CS was excellent in their assistance) but still a no go. Same battery issue that has been posted with mine as well for the short amount of time it worked. Really bummed since it was a Christmas gift from my wife. Guess I'll either wait for some fixes or look at another option.

Slowest Rider
    Sorry, yes I meant Protune. It could possibly be the camera having to process more data from dynamic scene, but I would think the difference would be minimal. I would say that maybe it was overheating and shutting down at 30mins during your ride, but if you watched the battery indicator drain down, flash the warning, then shut off, it clearly wasn't overheating. What is the file size of your 30min ride?
    I only turn on the camera about 5 to 10 minutes at a time (usually off on climbs) on a >3 hour ride, so overheating is unlikely.

At the end of the ride, I was disappointed that in spite of having the camera off for a while, I couldn't get it to come back on more than a few seconds before the battery would indicate low and it would turn off again.

Overall, adding up the 13 short videos from one ride, I got 10.9 GB and 52m. So maybe I did get more than 30 min on that ride, but I was really milking the battery at the end of this ride (letting it sit turned off for 5-10 minutes before turning on again) to try and get a couple more minutes of video.

On another ride, for two batteries I got a total of 1h 5m with 13.7 GB. I got down to one bar and changed the battery half way through the ride and the second battery was more than halfway done.

So it seems like I'm getting more like 45 minutes per battery if I add everything up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    I was able to get 2.5 hours out of my Hero 3 battery, filming in a lower resolution, and wifi off. With wifi on, it lasts less than 1 hour.
    I wasn't able to get that much, I could only do about 1.5 hours on low resolution and wifi off.

Weird, I'm not as happy with the Hero3 as I was with the Hero2 IMO

mtbr member

No, I have not completed a successful test with the Battery BacPac installed on the Hero3 since the camera overheats and shuts down at around 40mins.
    Ok, I was going to say, that's a terrible amount of time. Mine seems to work pretty good, but just have not been out to test it. Keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    I'm now subscribed. The reviews are less than promising and I was planning on picking up one of these this season. I'm assuming the black and silver have similar battery life?

mtbr member
    Anyone having issues with audio crackling / hissing / buzzing noises on their Silver or Black? I have 2 Blacks and 1 silver and they all have this issue. It is well documented on youtube but I haven't seen members here complaining about it.

I don't always like to add music to my vids, would like to use decent raw audio.

Examples:

mtbr member
    And this one:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2