mtbr member
    Jun 2011

GoPro Hero3 trail vid

I shot this Sunday with my new Hero3. Nothing terribly exciting. Just chest mount stuff. I really like the quality of this camera.

This was shot at 1440p 48fps Protune then cropped to 1080p and color edited in Final Cut Pro X.

mtbr member
    Weird... dup post.
    Last edited by skiahh; 10-30-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Interesting. Amazing detail... when you're not riding fast. At speed, it seems no better than my ContourROAM, or the other similar cameras. Maybe the better sensor picks up too much to record at speed or with vibrations. Or maybe the detail at speed is too much for HD video?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I know what you mean and a lot of that is YouTube compression. My 5.3gb uncompressed rendering out of FCP looks amazing. Tons of detail even when the trees and leaves are zooming by at speed. I wish you could see it. I compressed it down to a 330mb mp4 file and it still looks good, just not as good. After uploading to YT I see how much extra compression happens there. Sucks. The fast moving stuff is really where quality suffers the more it's compressed. We were actually going to do some static tripod shots, but the battery died. For those interested see 1:32 and 3:12 for some shots where I'm not rolling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The eternal battle--cameras keep getting better, but video hosting lags way behind. What was your deciding factor on shooting at 1440/48?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I knew I wanted a 1080p final edit, but using the chesty mount it's hard to orient the camera right vertically. I like to have the handlebars in frame at the bottom. Shooting in 1080 it's easy to either have it pointed too high and not have the bars in the frame, or it'll be too low and pointed at the ground. 1440p gives me the same horizontal resolution of 1920 but extra vertical resolution with 1440. So I don't have to be super accurate with how the camera is tilted and in Final Cut I can shift it up and down within the 1080 window to be perfect! With the Hero2 you can accomplish the same thing using 960p to create a 720p final edit. 48fps was in case I wanted to do some slow-mo.

Right about the hosting sites. So frustrating to see a great quality video turn to crap on YT and Vimeo. I uploaded the same video to Vimeo and it looks worse. Might be because they down-sample it to 720p.

RideDirt
    Sweet video , quality is great and yea i totally know what your saying about Youtube and Vimeo killing the videos :/ .

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Shot this today. A few clips from static locations. I use a mini-tripod. It's this one. It's awesome...good hard plastic, light weight, fits easily in the camelbak.

insert blank disk
    Really enjoyed the video. First GP3 video I've watched. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: WOW, just watched the second video. Amazing video quality. Really liked that sideways mount on the handlebar, never thought about trying that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by down2ride View Post
    Really liked that sideways mount on the handlebar, never thought about trying that.
    Yeah, that was unintentional, but I kinda like it too. I just intended to do tripod shots, and between shots I stuck the camera on the handlebar mount without the extra pivot arm that makes it point forward. At one point on my way to the next shot I hit record, and it does look cool...more so, I'm sure, if there's something interesting to the side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What band is this? cool vid by the way

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Looks great, I am already waiting on one thru a friend but i wanna go to a shop and buy one today so bad

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joey bennett View Post
    What band is this? cool vid by the way
    The Shills. A coworker's nephew's band. Based in Boston. Highly recommend the album Ganymede. I found the self-titled album a little meh.

Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    Looks great, I am already waiting on one thru a friend but i wanna go to a shop and buy one today so bad
    I got mine at Best Buy about 3 weeks ago. They didn't even have them out on display. They had a couple of each Hero3 model in the back. Mines the Black Edition, btw...I don't think I mentioned that.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDangit View Post
    Shot this today. A few clips from static locations. I use a mini-tripod. It's this one. It's awesome...good hard plastic, light weight, fits easily in the camelbak.

What mode was this shot in ? Im assuming obv it was 1080 @ 60fps , but the view doesnt look all wide or anything which i like Actually looks like a normal view.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    What mode was this shot in ? Im assuming obv it was 1080 @ 60fps , but the view doesnt look all wide or anything which i like Actually looks like a normal view.
    1440p wide Protune on. GoPro managed to reduce the barrel distortion which is cool. You still really notice it in shots with a flat horizon in them. Not sure how/if shooting in 1440p mode affects that. I do it so I can have more flexibility in my vertical positioning (see my 3rd post here) mainly for chest mount, but there's a benefit for these static shots too.

RideDirt
    Wow perfect ! I will now be shooting in the same mode .. Finally !!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    need the hero 3 too

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    How do you like the sound quality compared to the old hero 2? The sound quality sucked bad on the hero 2...and it was mono.
    2012 GT Force 2.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just shot a quick audio comparison video featuring my amazing guitar skills. No adjustments were made to the audio in post. You be the judge.

Vast improvement in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sure is!! I see that it's still mono but it's a HUGE difference. Oh man, I just bought a hero 2 about 2 months ago.....my wifes gonna kill me but I want a hero 3! Lol, anyone wanna buy a mint hero 2? ...I have 3 batteries, quick charger, custom underwater blur-free lens, skeleton case, grab bag + all of the original mounts. (Motorsports edition)
    2012 GT Force 2.0