mtbr member
    Jun 2013

GoPro Hero3+ = see this link first before u buy.

Looks like the radio control folks have suss out an issue with the new GoPro 3+.

GoPro Hero3+ Image Quality Problem - RC Groups

The camera was designed to focus closer and further distances turned out mushy. Hmm.....think i'll not get it now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    May 2011
    gopro 3+ works fine

i started the other thread about protune

the other posters were correct, protune needs a lot of video editing to get looking good, unlike the pro 3

here is some footage from gopro 3+

vimeo lowered the quality a lot as did my video editing software, and sun was in bad place, but video is still fine

Mt. Wilson and others on Vimeo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    no that video was encoded at 26 000 kbit, not 2 600 kbit. My video encoding software seems to have trouble with lots of small bushes, blurs them up, too much details. Other stuff on other clips looks fine.

i made 2 videos which will show somewhat realistic view for myself. 720 superview 60fps walking in my garden. one with protune and one without.

that is what the average person on youtube will get to see.

GoPro 3+ 720p superview 60 fps default settings - YouTube

GoPro 3+ 720p superview 60 fps protune - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am not having trouble with the gopro 3+ itself.

its my video editing software that is killing the video and I cannot figure out how to fix it. Every codec I try at every bitrate (all the way up to 26 000 k) just kills the detail level - even though I am adding zero effects just stitching video together.

I updated the software and got the new camera on same day. I am realizing this is not the camera fault.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I figured out all the problems

http://76.163.65.19/wilson2.zip

video on 3+ is good

I do not need protune.
    the bitrate on gopro 3+ on superview is very high, 30 000 to 46 000 kbit so encoding at low bitates on complex scenes makes for bad quality.
    my video card as encoder was causing loss, turned it off.

Video quality for me is good now, I am keeping 3+

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    Jason couple of questions......how much improvement in the battery life have you noticed between the 3 and the 3+?? That is my biggest concern before I purchase one, and secondly, I know the second half of the video, the chutes on Echo mtn, but what trail(s) is the other? Looks like a lot of fun, would to give them a try.

-tep
    oldmanjusthavingfunontwowheelsurbandirtandroad

mtbr member
    May 2011
    battery life seems no different, certainly no more than 10%....

just buy the wasabi packs on amazon, they are $10 for 2 batteries with wall chargers

those work fine, for $20 you can then have 5 batteries for the day, which is a lot of recording time, more than you can possibly need.

I am not really sure of the trail names, they are all around mt wilson, I will ask

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    battery life seems no different, certainly no more than 10%....

just buy the wasabi packs on amazon, they are $10 for 2 batteries with wall chargers

those work fine, for $20 you can then have 5 batteries for the day, which is a lot of recording time, more than you can possibly need.

I am not really sure of the trail names, they are all around mt wilson, I will ask
    Jason, I have a gopro 3 black, and the battery life is pretty crappy. How long does your battery actually last you? I thought about returning my Gopro 3 for a 3+ to see if the battery life is any better.
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have 4 GoPro's:

Hero HD
    Hero 2
    Hero 3 Black
    Hero 3+ Silver

Did a Youtube video of all four camera comparing battery life. Hope this helps the discussion.

I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    I have 4 GoPro's:

Hero HD
    Hero 2
    Hero 3 Black
    Hero 3+ Silver

Did a Youtube video of all four camera comparing battery life. Hope this helps the discussion.

Lawson,

For your comparison what settings did you run them cameras in? I did my GoPro 3 Black in 1080 60 fps I got 1 hour and 5 minutes before it stopped recording.

Thanks
    Keith

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by keith13 View Post
    Lawson,

For your comparison what settings did you run them cameras in? I did my GoPro 3 Black in 1080 60 fps I got 1 hour and 5 minutes before it stopped recording.

Thanks
    Keith
    at the end of the video it says he used 720/60 for all cameras
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    For the GoPro 3+ black edition, is it worth the extra $100 for the remote? Appart from a few codecs my computer will not handle, should I go for the silver?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperocity View Post
    For the GoPro 3+ black edition, is it worth the extra $100 for the remote? Appart from a few codecs my computer will not handle, should I go for the silver?
    Depends if you want to shoot at 4K, 27K, in superview modes, or that extra 2MP is important...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperocity View Post
    Did you watch the latest video in this thread, the Silver+ had some much more battery life than the Black 3+ Thats just another thing to think about.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by keith13 View Post
    Did you watch the latest video in this thread, the Silver+ had some much more battery life than the Black 3+ Thats just another thing to think about.
    actually, he compared the older Black 3 to the Silver 3+.....