mtbr member
    May 2013

GoPro Hero 3 Black: 3 Mile Trail in 16 Minutes

I mounted my Hero 3 to my chest cam for the first time and rode McDowell Sports Loop in Arizona. I will need to adjust the angle next time so when I stand it's not looking so far down. I'm going to try out my helmet mount this Saturday, we'll see what one is better.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    That's close to unwatchable. As you recognized, oount it higher. Edit a lot more. Tons of tips including entire threads on how to achieve better production
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    That's close to unwatchable. As you recognized, oount it higher. Edit a lot more. Tons of tips including entire threads on how to achieve better production
    The mounting part was my fault, that's my first time using that mount and it didn't even cross my mind that the angle would change so much when I started going. What editing are you talking of though? I'm assuming cutting out the slow parts or something.... That was my first time using Adobe Premier so I have no idea how to use it yet and don't have much free time to figure it out like I want to. I also just got my GoPro, so I also have to mess with the settings and mounting options more to figure it out as well. One of these days......

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Got it. It takes time to figure out the editing part. Pretty much picking the best footage and trying out different camera angles is what goes into editing. IMO anything more than 3:00 is likely too much. Just got back from Phoenix; McDowell, SoMo, Squaw Peak were a blast
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Got it. It takes time to figure out the editing part. Pretty much picking the best footage and trying out different camera angles is what goes into editing. IMO anything more than 3:00 is likely too much. Just got back from Phoenix; McDowell, SoMo, Squaw Peak were a blast
    I'm not sure what happened to the quality, the file I uploaded was WAY more clear than the video that Youtube shows. Once I figure out the program a little more I'll start taking out the boring parts and messing with clarity, etc, I just don't have much time lately so I just added the whole video, lol. What trails did you do at McDowell? What was the best trail out of those three in your opinion? I did Geronimo trail about 2 weeks ago, it was pretty cool because we drove my truck to the top and parked another car at the bottom.... the shitty part is when we found out that the car keys got left in my cupholder so I had to run back up the trail in 95 degree weather.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: GoPro Hero 3 Black: 3 Mile Trail in 16 Minutes

Youtube hoses quality. You HAVE to selected more detailed or HQ upload for it to look better, even then Youtube beats it with an ugly stick.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    Youtube hoses quality. You HAVE to selected more detailed or HQ upload for it to look better, even then Youtube beats it with an ugly stick.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
    Really??? I don't think I've seen the option for HQ upload, maybe I'm just overlooking it. I watched the video on my Blue Ray's Youtube and it looked a lot better than my CPU, but still not what it should be. I'll have to look around the site for the HQ option. Somebody else told me I might be rendering my files with too high of a bitrate. I guess I'll have to experiment because I know my camera can take high quality video.

My little friends
    On the mounting angle; I do a test run and mark a line on the mount to index the angle. That way, I can move the case to get the camera out, or whatever, and still be able to go right back to where I was before. It also helps when you want to make a slight adjustment to show more or less handlebars or bike computer, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    On the mounting angle; I do a test run and mark a line on the mount to index the angle. That way, I can move the case to get the camera out, or whatever, and still be able to go right back to where I was before. It also helps when you want to make a slight adjustment to show more or less handlebars or bike computer, etc.
    Yeah I was thinking of that idea after I saw how low my shot was, it'd be a good bench mark. I guess I'll have to try out the GoPro app or something so I can look at the view live instead of riding a lap, watching the video, then adjusting again. I just need to get the angles of each mount down before I do the Sunrise trails in a few weeks.

My little friends
    A quick 30 second ride before you pack up and go to the trail is all you need to set the angle.