Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

GoPro HERO 3 announced

Killing it with close inspection.

NotoriousMHz
    1080p@60 would be nice for slo-mo shots, lighter, and built in WiFi... but damn it feels like they just released the HD Hero2 and accessories for it.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ 2015 Santa Cruz Nomad C
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ 2012 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looks like it's time for me to buy a Hero 2.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Truth to that tgraham.

The new Go Pro 3 Black looks pretty sweet though. I am stoked to see some previews of the 1080x60 p and 4x mode. I really like how sleek the camera is too.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tgraham1 View Post
    Looks like it's time for me to buy a Hero 2.

I have a feeling they will release the HERO3 in time for the Las Vegas SEMA show in Nov. Hopefully, price drops on the HERO2 soon to follow. I currently have the orignal and still dont see any reason to upgrade for my limited use. I have to admit though, the smaller size sure sounds attractive.

More info and pics found HERE

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    There might be some sales in the US for the HD Hero 2 come Black Friday at some places that carry it or good online deals on the Monday after that. I've always wanted a GoPro and now It's about time to get one

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Super sweet.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The fiance just bought me the Hero2 or I'd be all over the black edition. She's going to be bummed the price will drop come Christmas. Some of those test videos look amazing!

4K is cool and all but at 12fps there's really nothing you could with it let alone have something you could view it on. I REALLY like that it looks like they incorporated the flat dive lens into the new waterproof case. Now if they would only polarize the damn lens!

mtbr member
    To me, the only thing that's really special is 1080p in 60fps and 720p in 120fps. Since I mostly shoot in 720p at 60fps (smoother playback, better slow motion when necessary), 120 fps would look absolutely amazing.

I agree with what cave12man said about 4k video. Neat from a "proof of concept" point of view, but pretty impractical for documenting mountain biking or any other fast-paced sport.

ask
    user
    The Hero 3 Black looks pretty sweet and I am probably going to get (at least) one.

That said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little annoyed that GoPro is releasing a new camera 8 days after finally making the HDHero2 w/ WiFi BacPac fully functional. The iPhone App for the BacPac has been "Coming Soon" for months now. They released the App on October 8th and announced new cameras on the October 16th. I'm not really surprised just a little annoyed.

Looks like it is time to box up my new HD2 w/ accessories and take it back to REI.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by PantslessWithWolves View Post
    To me, the only thing that's really special is 1080p in 60fps and 720p in 120fps. Since I mostly shoot in 720p at 60fps (smoother playback, better slow motion when necessary), 120 fps would look absolutely amazing.

I agree with what cave12man said about 4k video. Neat from a "proof of concept" point of view, but pretty impractical for documenting mountain biking or any other fast-paced sport.
    +1 I only shoot in 720p and 120fps would be freaking sweet.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    The 2.7k 30fps mode on the black sounds pretty sweet. Much nicer than 1080 res with a more useable frame rate than 4k mode. Between that and the 120fps 720 it would be a great combination of being able to shoot great very high res video and still do nice HD slowmo in such a tiny package.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think the reason really for that 4k mode is to capture high res photos of fast moving events. 4K = 3840 x 2160 (8.3 megapixels) which pretty much means you are a 8 megapixel camera at 15FPS.

Sure the photo mode can so 10 and "burst" at 30, but you have to turn it on for that and hit the trigger.

Seems that in this 4K mode, I could strap the camera on, hit record, go do something awesome, and end up with some photos at 15FPS and cherry pick my photo.

-Tom

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    I think the reason really for that 4k mode is to capture high res photos of fast moving events. 4K = 3840 x 2160 (8.3 megapixels) which pretty much means you are a 8 megapixel camera at 15FPS.

Sure the photo mode can so 10 and "burst" at 30, but you have to turn it on for that and hit the trigger.

Seems that in this 4K mode, I could strap the camera on, hit record, go do something awesome, and end up with some photos at 15FPS and cherry pick my photo.

-Tom
    +1

mtbr member
    So I wonder if their announced 'ProTune 35mbps' firmware upgrade will still be coming out for GP2 owners. They only announced it in April this year saying summer release and still no sign of it.

4K feature on GP3, cute but I can't help but ask the obvious question, what's the datarate of the camera at various resolutions/fps options?

The website lists ProTune but doesn't specify what it is exactly and it seems to work only with the 4K resolutions so it might only be a flat recording mode for better colour correction down the road. Still no sign of the higher data rate

mtbr member
    Protune is already out for the HD Hero2. It came out with the same firmware updates that you'll need to get the Wifi Bacpac to play nice with the new app. Update your camera firmware via Cineform Studio and it'll show up- you can access Protune under the Settings menu on your camera, and you'll know you're using it when a T appears next to whatever you're recording in (1080T, 720T, etc.)

mtbr member
    Protune is already out for the HD Hero2. It came out with the same firmware updates that you'll need to get the Wifi Bacpac to play nice with the new app. Update your camera firmware via Cineform Studio and it'll show up- you can access Protune under the Settings menu on your camera, and you'll know you're using it when a T appears next to whatever you're recording in (1080T, 720T, etc.)
    When it came out I was under the impression from what I'd read it was only for the WiFi update. Have you looked at the datarate of files shot in these settings?

mtbr member
    Not specifically, but I can tell you that the recording capacity on my 16gb card went from roughly 2:30 down to 60 minutes when using 720p in Protune. I feel like the quality is MUCH better, so I'm willing to make the trade.

There were three updates- one for the camera, one for the wifi pac, and one for the remote. The camera update is the one that carries Protune.

mtbr member
    Not specifically, but I can tell you that the recording capacity on my 16gb card went from roughly 2:30 down to 60 minutes when using 720p in Protune. I feel like the quality is MUCH better, so I'm willing to make the trade.

There were three updates- one for the camera, one for the wifi pac, and one for the remote. The camera update is the one that carries Protune.
    ah well that makes sense. I'll have to give it a go tonight to test it out. With that image quality a Blu Ray output would look just as good as the files. Now I have to decide if I sell the GP2 and get the newer GP3!!

Thanks for the information, greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    cant wait to have the hero 3!!!!!!! gotta sell the hero 1 and hero 2 now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It looks like the HERO3 Black carries a steep price tag...$399! Ouch! There are two lower models but I don't know how much better they would be over the HERO2 (White $199 and Silver $299).

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    It looks like the HERO3 Black carries a steep price tag...$399! Ouch! There are two lower models but I don't know how much better they would be over the HERO2 (White $199 and Silver $299).
    The silver is a smaller & ligher Hero2 with Wifi Bacpac.
    The white is a smaller & ligher Hero2 with Wifi Bacpac but reduced photo capabilities/quality.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    I'm eager to learn more about the vertical FOV for the different modes. This is one crucial aspect to us mountain bikers. The Hero2 has to be used almost exclusively at 960p when head-mounted if you want to see both your handle bar and the horizon. It's really tricky to setup properly. Now the wifi + iPhone app should at least help with the setup, but I'll happily welcome every half-degree of additional vertical FOV they can give me.

All the other features look awesome, even the animated gifs at 4K resolution are going to look gorgeous!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    is the GoPro app going to be released for Android? Or is it iOS proprietary?

RideDirt
    I got a GoPro HD Hero 2 with a bunch of extras for sale guys ! Hit me up or look me up on PB .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast