mtbr member
    Dec 2011

New question here. GoPro Hero 2 / chest mount placement?

How high up on your chest do people place their chest mounts in order to NOT get footage of their top tube only.

I must be doing something wrong b/c in order to get any kind of forward-looking footage the thing's almost at my chin - which doesn't jive with other people's set-ups that I've passed on trail.

Alternatively I'd think I could just flip the camera on the mount (and run it upside down) but it appears that would require some serious(ish) dremeling of a few pieces, which I'd prefer to not do as it seems it would weaken the mount.

Any advice appreciated, getting tired of crap footage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah a pic of you chest setups would help. Mine works when sitting but as soon as I stand the angle is ****.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think you need to mount it upside down so you get enough movement on the mount and the correct angle... and my girlfriend has to wear hers a bit different still beause of the.... ah... angle of her chest ;-)

If you mount it uside down be sure to use the UPD setting on the camera... otherwise editing is sometimes a hassle rotating the image...
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

2006 Yeti AS-X
    You could use a permanent marker to draw a line on the mount and go pro mount once you find that perfect angle you like that way when you connect it again, you won't have to fidget whether or not you have the right angle.

Just an idea.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Do people actually run it upside down? I thought about it, then looked at it and it didn't look like it would work. Nevermind seeing people on the trail using the things right side up. :X

The problem isn't with finding the 'right' angle so much, it's that the mount can't angle the unit "up" enough to overcompensate for the angle your upper body is at while pedaling, never mind the transition to standing up.

Seems intractable until you see all sorts of video's on the net with people not having problems using chest mounts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    This was a big problem with the original GoPro HD cameras, then they updated the firmware that allows you to set the camera to record upside down.

Before that update (and I still use this today), I placed a 1" tall high-density foam pad on the chest mount to tilt it up when recording. Works great but not really needed now that its adjustable in the menu. Since I use my GoPro HD on other things outside of MTB, I didn't want to fool with the menu each time, so...

This is my chest mount:

ps. Don't know why but I am not able to add photo attachments to this post so I put picture in my gallery.

Rolling
    I definitely run my upside down, unless I want pedal action intentionally.

You can get the firmware for running upside down, but I just do it after in software to save time trying to mess with the buttons on the trail.

When you climb, you might want the camera tilted down as possible, When going down steep, up as possible.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I run my GoPro upside down and have no problems with it - the only thing is you have to make sure the darn screw is pretty tight to keep it from rotating down while riding, same thing for riding with it upright.

Here is one of my videos where I ran my GoPro upside down.

I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just to follow up and close the loop - I went with the boom attachment. As the housing only adjust so far on the boom (camera to boom attachment), I angled that as far "up" as I could. From there I use the (easier to adjust) boom to plate adjustment to swivel the mount in and out to access either the camera itself or adjust for POV.

Conveniently I'm able to aim the camera as 'high' as possible, top edge against my body and it works out to be the angle I'm looking for (1-2" of bar showing while seated, and no bars while standing).

Thanks all for the help!

All Mountian Destroyer
    Dec 2011
    you can also set it to the r5 setting to get it to have a more straightforward view but less peripheral

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    The problem isn't with finding the 'right' angle so much, it's that the mount can't angle the unit "up" enough to overcompensate for the angle your upper body is at while pedaling, never mind the transition to standing up.
    This is precisely why you mount it upside down. When it's right side up you'll NEVER what it pointed that far down. When it's upside you have plenty of range of motion. An added bonus with the LCD backpack is that even if you bang it on your seat (provided you don't snap the J hook which I've done three times) it usually can't move too far back. When completely back against the backpack it's a tad too low but if you've banged it without the backpack on you know you've spend the next few minutes watching the top tube and your pedals.