skilldest©

gopro hero @ night on the trail

I find that it does not work so well (due to lack of enough light in my case).

Has anyone else has had success?

mtbr member
    I've tried it with similar results to you. Or in my case, lack of light AND coverage, as the gopro has a pretty wide fov, so the video I had looked like it was shot in a tunnel. I'd imagine a couple of really good floody lights on the bars and a really good helmet light (or two) might do the trick. fwiw I was running a magicshine on the bars and a dinotte 200 on my helmet and that was no where near enough in light or coverage.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

skilldest©
    Sounds similar. It looked like I was going through a tunnel with flashes of the trail further away as the beam hit it. I thought having a full moon out that it may be helpful but I do not believe it made a difference. A little bit of downhill was kinda cool because it forced the attention on what was immediately in front of the tire. It was a fun experiment but not something I would do again. 15 minutes of video gave 2 minutes of something that was barely interesting to watch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    GoPro cameras, and most video cameras, are never going to capture good clean bright footage in low or no light. It just won't work.

The tunnel look is because, even with a wide beam pattern light, the most light is pointing straight ahead and your GoPro is going to expose for the center portion of the frame. That being the case, if it exposed for the darker edges of the frame, the center (most important) part would be blown out with no discernible detail. I would think the best bet for decent night footage would be like johnnyspoke said and throw a bunch of lights on and hope for the best. Maybe turn 2 handlebar lights out to the sides a little to light up the trees and minimize the tunnel look. And no, the full moon won't contribute much because your lights are way brighter than the moon.

Light freak

GoPro Hero vid