Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: GoPro HD woes

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shawndoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    56

    GoPro HD woes

    Got the HD cam for my birthday and I was very excited, coming from the Hero wide. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work at all. It will charge, and I can go through the menus. I have even gotten it to record a clip or two while sitting at my desk fiddling with it. However, when I get in the field (skiing) it locks up every time I try to use it. The red light will blink a few times and then stay on, or it won't blink at all. In both cases, the unit freezes and won't respond to any button pushing. I have to open the camera and remove the battery to reset it.

    I'm trying with a sandisk 4gb sdhc card (class 4), a transcend 16gb sdhc card (class 6 -- this one btw works like a champ in my vixia hf100), and a couple of generic (Adada and dane-elec) 2gb sd cards (which both work great in the hero wide).

    I'm getting really really frustrated. Any thoughts? Do I really just need to buy the kingston 16gb class 4 card on the gopro site? If I knew that would work, I would in a heartbeat, but I don't want to be buying MORE sd cards if that's not the issue.

    Your input appreciated!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    373
    A couple of things to try. Try recording in one of the low data rate formats...480p, to see if it is, in fact a card issue. If there are no problems with that, you have your answer. I was able to do a really brief 1080p recording with a Transcend class 6 card at one point, but after that initial try, no success. I haven't had any problems with the class 4 Kingston that they sell on their site.

    The other thing...make sure that the camera is actually charging. I thought that mine was but was actually shutting off due to low battery power while skiing. I can't figure out why it doesn't like charging through my computer's USB port (Windows 7 seems to be temperamental with the Go Pro for me), so I've used a wall USB charger and had no problems.

    Let us know how it goes.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shawndoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    56
    It's charged enough to stay on (locked up) in my pocket for 5 hours, so I think I can rule out #2.

    The more I'm looking the more I think I need the Kingston class 4 card, but it kinda sticks in my craw, and I hate spending $40 on the hope that this might fix the issue.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldman54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6
    I am running a SanDisk, class 4, 32 GB in my GoPro HD with no issues.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldman54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6
    Another thought - pull the SD card and try recording to the onboard camera memory - that will tell you if there is an issue with the camera itself.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shawndoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    56
    I was not aware that the camera has any internal memory?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evo.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    620
    Does this only happen when it is in the case? Try to operate the camera not in the case.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldman54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by shawndoggy
    I was not aware that the camera has any internal memory?
    Check out:

    goprouser.freeforums.org

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2

    No good HD GoPro duds

    I'm not impressed with the gopro HD. Bought 2, one for myself & one for my wife. Both camera's were locking up, freezing on playback mode on TV, recording for short amounts of time in video mode, to not recording at all. We have 4 Kingston class 6 cards, 2 8gb & 2 16gb class 6 cards. The Gopro will not work at all with the 16gb cards. Had to take the batterries out in order to turn the camer's off. Sent both camera's back. GoPro send 2 more out & guess what. The best I got was my camera recording for 13 minutes. This on the second highest resolution. When reviewing on TV, the camera froze up & would not review any more. Then it would not record in video mode, period. My wifes camera does the same. GoPro is suggesting that the 4 new Kingston cards are all faulty. Yeah right They seem to work fine in my friends GoPro, yet not in the camera's we have recieved 3 months down the track and still no working camera's. I'm sending them back for a refund. Stay away from GoPro. To get 4 dud camera's says it all for me.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evo.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    620
    I don't have any issues with my Go Pro HD. I hear more good about them then negative feedback. I took precautions and purchased it at REI, you can return anything there if you are not 100% satisfied and if you are a member you don't even need a receipt.

    Anyways, that sucks about you experience with the Go Pro. Not all the cameras are crap.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    34
    No problem with my GoPro HD... I have recorded over 20 hours of video (720p and 1080p) since I got it, mostly in freezing conditions. I am using a 16 GB MaxFlash branded Micro SD card with an adapter and a 16 GB Kingston Class 4 SDHC card.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    149
    No problems with the GoProHD we've been using for nearly 2 months now either. We record long 25min+ files all the time that run well over 2gb on a 16gb Class 6 card with no issues.

    Now editing footage.... thats a whole other issue.....

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldman54's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6

    Editing GoPro Footage

    I have been reading that people are having issues with editing GoPro footage. We are lucky in this respect because we have been using an Apple iMac.

  14. #14
    MTBR Contributing Editor
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,246
    SD Cards seem to be hit and miss with the GoProHD, I have Transcend Class 6 8GB and 16GB cards and close to 150+ hours of footage (different video resolutions), and have had no issues. On occasion some normal cameras can have issues with certain SD Cards, but it seems to be a more common issue with the GoPro HD. Per their support "For what it's worth, internally we use Kingston or Patriot brand cards: 16GB, Class 4"

    Editing requires some memory, good editing software, a fast cpu and a good graphic card (paramount).

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4

    Same probs

    Stumbled on this forum while searching for GoPro troubleshooting.

    Just got my GoPro HD yesterday. Experiencing the same problem...red light stays on on, whole system freezes up, only solution is to pull the battery out. I have been playing with it for ~24hours and this has happened approximately 25% of the time. So far I haven't been trying to shoot anything important, but I fear that I will miss the shot when the time comes.

    I am using Kingston 16GB. Bought this over cheaper options to ensure everything worked.

    I don't have any solutions to contribute, just wanted to add data to the problem.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evo.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballer
    Stumbled on this forum while searching for GoPro troubleshooting.

    Just got my GoPro HD yesterday. Experiencing the same problem...red light stays on on, whole system freezes up, only solution is to pull the battery out. I have been playing with it for ~24hours and this has happened approximately 25% of the time. So far I haven't been trying to shoot anything important, but I fear that I will miss the shot when the time comes.

    I am using Kingston 16GB. Bought this over cheaper options to ensure everything worked.

    I don't have any solutions to contribute, just wanted to add data to the problem.

    At first I didn't have any issues with my camera. After a couple weeks of use I had similar issues as described above. I found out that the case squeezes the camera pretty tight. I removed the foam piece from the back of the case and it works perfect now and never freezes up. The camera is still very tight even after removing the foam piece.

    After getting the proper editing software, I don't have any issues with editing. I use VideoPad to edit and Media Player Classic to view (not MS Windows Media player).

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Evo.
    I found out that the case squeezes the camera pretty tight. I removed the foam piece from the back of the case and it works perfect now and never freezes up.
    Great, thanks for the tip. I actually suspected something like that. It seems like squeezing the case (to mount or adjust the camera) results in the failure.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    149
    The Adobe Creative Suite CS5 which is being announced on April 12th is rumored to have native H.264 editing included in Premiere Pro CS5. We can only hope! Should make editing ALOT easier without all the converting.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballer
    Great, thanks for the tip. I actually suspected something like that. It seems like squeezing the case (to mount or adjust the camera) results in the failure.
    I'm having this problem too. Anytime I apply any pressure against the back battery cover, it shuts off.

    I tried taking out the padding but it still puts too much pressure upon the cover..

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by JHANguyen
    I'm having this problem too. Anytime I apply any pressure against the back battery cover, it shuts off.

    I tried taking out the padding but it still puts too much pressure upon the cover..
    Update....
    This problem has intermittently persisted. It started getting really bad while out on BC ski trip. So I yanked out the pad. This DID NOT fix the problem. Since then I've been doing a lot of experimenting with squeezing the camera, the case, etc. I can not intentionally replicate the problem.

    Any other thoughts?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jasper9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    50
    sony vegas is great for editing the videos. most problems people are having are with cards, the forum someone linked to above has more information on this.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Actually I finally determined what is wrong with my camera...temperature. I put it in the refrigerator and it stopped working. This should not be the case as these cameras are meant to function well below the 40F that my frig is. So it's a faulty camera. GoPro has been cool, I'm sending it back under warranty.

  23. #23
    MTBR Contributing Editor
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,246
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballer
    Actually I finally determined what is wrong with my camera...temperature. I put it in the refrigerator and it stopped working. This should not be the case as these cameras are meant to function well below the 40F that my frig is. So it's a faulty camera. GoPro has been cool, I'm sending it back under warranty.
    Yeah, that doesn't sound good. Mine spent a good deal of the winter in temps from 15F - 40F, and never had issues, although one very cold day 10F, it shutoff.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2
    I wish I had found this thread a month ago. Got a new HD Hero for Christmas and after a few frustrating ski days with the camera not working properly, I figured out the problem as well. The cold temps! But nothing that should make the camera freeze up - especially one made to be used outdoors. Same deal - no buttons work and I have to remove the battery. This happened 90% of the time where I'd finally give up and stick the camera in my pocket.
    GoPro had me update the firmware, reformat the SD card, etc... all things I've since found in forums. But I did my own test and figured it to be the cold (using it fine indoors - putting it outside for 15 mins - and it crapped out). I should have figured it out sooner because two afternoons, when it warmed up a bit, I actually got it to work a few times. Anyway, I sent it back and they just received it this week.
    I'm hoping they send a new one back for the weekend trip I have planned. But now that I read this, it ticks me off a bit because they must known this is an issue. I even saw this on another forum. We'll see.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlerider
    I wish I had found this thread a month ago. Got a new HD Hero for Christmas and after a few frustrating ski days with the camera not working properly, I figured out the problem as well. The cold temps! But nothing that should make the camera freeze up - especially one made to be used outdoors. Same deal - no buttons work and I have to remove the battery. This happened 90% of the time where I'd finally give up and stick the camera in my pocket.
    GoPro had me update the firmware, reformat the SD card, etc... all things I've since found in forums. But I did my own test and figured it to be the cold (using it fine indoors - putting it outside for 15 mins - and it crapped out). I should have figured it out sooner because two afternoons, when it warmed up a bit, I actually got it to work a few times. Anyway, I sent it back and they just received it this week.
    I'm hoping they send a new one back for the weekend trip I have planned. But now that I read this, it ticks me off a bit because they must known this is an issue. I even saw this on another forum. We'll see.
    Your GoPro is definitely defective. I have been using my 2 GoPro HDs in subzero Celcius temps with no problems (knock on wood).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •