mtbr member
    Jan 2010

gopro hd vs contourhd

I'm trying to decide which out of the two to buy myself for my birthday. I was running the previous gopro version just before christmas but sold it on to upgrade to a hd version but now im spotted the contour im slightly torn.

Few things i greatly disliked about the gopro was the fact that unless your looking directly at the camera u cant tell if its on, dont see this being solved by the soon to come remote, still gonna have to look at the thing to see if its recording or not (unless of course your in silence enough to recognise the beeps).

Hate the mounts, spend most of the time trying to get them tightened as much as possible to stop it coming loose on some of the rough ground i inevitably ride on at the trail centes in the uk. Otherwise you have to carry a screwdriver with you and risk putting the plastic under immense stress to make it hold still.

I'm also not the hugest fan of the looks of it and the fact it has to be either directly upright or upside down, theres no middle ground and of course no way to tell 100% where the camera focus is.

Also for these reason im drawn more now towards the contour as it seems to get rid of these issues. But am i going to regret it for the conditions we have in the UK? we're lucky to get really sunny days when we ride, am i going to have huge contrast issues with the contour because of this? I know its a bit more money but if it solves these issue with not too many new ones then ill be happy.

Im also not bothered about the sound quality really on either as i never listen to the ride video, its almost always muted.

Also i feel i should say im looking at the contourhd 1080p, mostly due to the fact i watch my videos on a 40" tv with a fully networked setup able to play the mp4s.

Thanks!

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by golfchick24
    I'm trying to decide which out of the two to buy myself for my birthday. I was running the previous gopro version just before christmas but sold it on to upgrade to a hd version but now im spotted the contour im slightly torn.

Few things i greatly disliked about the gopro was the fact that unless your looking directly at the camera u cant tell if its on, dont see this being solved by the soon to come remote, still gonna have to look at the thing to see if its recording or not (unless of course your in silence enough to recognise the beeps).

Hate the mounts, spend most of the time trying to get them tightened as much as possible to stop it coming loose on some of the rough ground i inevitably ride on at the trail centes in the uk. Otherwise you have to carry a screwdriver with you and risk putting the plastic under immense stress to make it hold still.

I'm also not the hugest fan of the looks of it and the fact it has to be either directly upright or upside down, theres no middle ground and of course no way to tell 100% where the camera focus is.

Also for these reason im drawn more now towards the contour as it seems to get rid of these issues. But am i going to regret it for the conditions we have in the UK? we're lucky to get really sunny days when we ride, am i going to have huge contrast issues with the contour because of this? I know its a bit more money but if it solves these issue with not too many new ones then ill be happy.

Im also not bothered about the sound quality really on either as i never listen to the ride video, its almost always muted.

Also i feel i should say im looking at the contourhd 1080p, mostly due to the fact i watch my videos on a 40" tv with a fully networked setup able to play the mp4s.

Thanks!

VholdR just released a new version of the Easy Edit Software & a firmware upgrade for the Original ContourHD that will allow you to control the settings just like we're able to do with the new ContourHD 1080p

"The following firmware upgrade enables you to change the video and audio settings on your ContourHD camera. With this firmware, you will be able to configure the video (bitrate), lighting (contrast, exposure, sharpness, and metering), and microphone sensitivity. You can use the latest version of the Easy Edit Software to configure these camera settings."

Here's the links:

http://vholdr.com/support/firmware
    http://vholdr.com/support/software

MTBR Contributing Editor
    ContourHD 1080p vs GoPro HD HERO

Here are some rough things I can think of, from the top of my head...

Colors:
    H: more vibrant colors
    C: more realistic colors

Varying Light:
    H: + superb, great for going in and out of the shade to bright sunlight
    C: good

Picture Quality:
    A wash, they are both about the same...

Usability:
    C: + high marks to the Contour, loud noise to know when it goes off and on, good mechanical switch, laser beam sighting
    H: can switch to all 5 videos modes in the field, C has only 2 preset ones, but I always pick the 2 I like

Elements Protection:
    H: + the housing is bomb proof
    C: not so good when it gets wet and dirty, they do have a new optional housing coming out

Mounts:
    H: + has a lot more mounts, and even though the do require a good tightness, they are stable and work extremely well, the chesty is nice and the bar and seatpost mount are great
    C: tends to wiggle a bit in their mounts, good helmet mount and frame mount if the goggle mount is used with a large piece of Velcro

So which is better? Its a wash, they both have there attributes and faults, both take good video for what they are, small sport video cameras. To be honest, 1080p is a bit shaky on either camera for most mountain biking stuff, so I think the 960p is the best of the bunch, and I always use that mode.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion, think im gonna go for a change n get the contourhd

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    The 720p @ 60fps is AWESOME to watch.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    golfchick - i authored a review comparing the GoPro HD and Vholdr ContourHD for snowsports. Some aspects might translate to biking. Since I live in low-light British Columbia my concerns re lighting and picture quality might resonate with you

For the most part i agree with pastajet except for mounts where I think GoPro still has the edge.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    golfchick - i authored a review comparing the GoPro HD and Vholdr ContourHD for snowsports. Some aspects might translate to biking. Since I live in low-light British Columbia my concerns re lighting and picture quality might resonate with you

For the most part i agree with pastajet except for mounts where I think GoPro still has the edge.

That is what the plus is meant to convey...

Mounts:
    H: + has a lot more mounts, and even though the do require a good tightness, they are stable and work extremely well, the chesty is nice and the bar and seatpost mount are great
    C: tends to wiggle a bit in their mounts, good helmet mount and frame mount if the goggle mount is used with a large piece of Velcro

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    o - duh - i misread. In that case - edited to read - I agree with pastajet
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/