2006 Yeti AS-X

GoPro HD recording @ 720p @ 60fps

Rode a couple of days and got a chance to try out the new GoPro HD. I recorded all the video at 720p/60fps. SInce it records in .mp4 format, I have to convert it to .wmv in order to import it into Windows Movie Maker.

I use Any video convertor since it is free but it won't convert the 60fps cleanly. My wimply laptop cannot play the 60fps video unless I choose Slower from the playback menu.

It maybe that I don't fully understand 60fps recording, I thought the video would be really smooth and the 60fps would benefit for slow motion parts of the video.

?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider
    Rode a couple of days and got a chance to try out the new GoPro HD. I recorded all the video at 720p/60fps. SInce it records in .mp4 format, I have to convert it to .wmv in order to import it into Windows Movie Maker.

I use Any video convertor since it is free but it won't convert the 60fps cleanly. My wimply laptop cannot play the 60fps video unless I choose Slower from the playback menu.

It maybe that I don't fully understand 60fps recording, I thought the video would be really smooth and the 60fps would benefit for slow motion parts of the video.

?
    the 60fps (when it renders well) will be smoother but as you noticed it takes a lot of computer HP to make it happen. It really mainly shows an advantage for slow motion sequences. For biking my best stuff is usually using "No.3" recording position which is 960p in the 4:3 aspect ratio. You can see much more of the trail and horizon in that mode. I would rather use a 16:9 widescreen ratio but it does not lend itself to MTBing because of the above mentioned 4:3 advantages.

Sample 960p video

It's a awesome camera but you just have to fiddle with it for a while before it starts making sense due to non-intuitive interface.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have Any Video Converter (freeware) that converts my 720p/30fps decently but it doesn't do as well with the 720p/60fps. I do have Adobe Premiere but it doesn't like my computer, even with 6gb and running on Vista the darn thing would keep crashing.

I am contemplating a MacBook purchase to do my video editing since that is where that hardware shines.. How is iMovie? I have seen some good iMovie videos on here.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You should give Sony Vegas a go before getting new hardware. I think you can download a 30 day trial for free.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld
    You should give Sony Vegas a go before getting new hardware. I think you can download a 30 day trial for free.
    I downloaded it today and tried it for a little bit but noticed it was really slow. I have a quad core Q6600 CPU, 6 GB memory (Win XP Pro only recognized 3 GB of it), plenty of hard drive space, and a 512MB 8600GT. I figured it should be enough to run it smoothly but man these programs sure take ponies to run.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider
    I downloaded it today and tried it for a little bit but noticed it was really slow. I have a quad core Q6600 CPU, 6 GB memory (Win XP Pro only recognized 3 GB of it), plenty of hard drive space, and a 512MB 8600GT. I figured it should be enough to run it smoothly but man these programs sure take ponies to run.
    What is a good setup to be handle that kind of video, meaning minimum processing power, memory, etc.