Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

GoPro HD Hero2; GoPro HD Hero compare and contrast

Starting with some skiing videos. Will shoot some biking compare and contrasts also

For more technical details on the videos see the Vimeo descriptions

Also here is a picture shot with the GoPro HD Hero2. Deliberately shot into the sun

Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice comparison. Thanks. Consistent with what I've seen elsewhere. One thing that still bugs me is the audio. It would be nice to have your swoosh swoosh sounds in there without the classic gopro clickety click noise. I know the audio is not great with or without the clicking, but why can't they fix that?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I think its a limitation of the form factor. These things have a ton of electronics in them so the internal microphones, to put it bluntly, suck. I'll shoot some video with a lav microphone but that's a bit down the road

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    A lav mic would be ideal and should be a significant improvement. I guess you can't use the waterproof housing with one, though. One thing I just thought of...if you don't care about capturing your voice, is to clip the lav mic somewhere on your leg or the top of you boot for optimum swoosh capture.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDangit View Post
    A lav mic would be ideal and should be a significant improvement. I guess you can't use the waterproof housing with one, though. One thing I just thought of...if you don't care about capturing your voice, is to clip the lav mic somewhere on your leg or the top of you boot for optimum swoosh capture.
    I've got a couple of waterproof housings and am going to sacrifice one of them by drilling a hole in it to accommodate the mic input. That's a good idea re "optimum swoosh" (I like the term btw).

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Biking comparison video - details are in Vimeo description

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'll bite again since nobody else is. Without hesitation I can say I prefer the Hero 2 footage. Definitely sharper and the exposure and color seem to be superior in my opinion. These are all as-shot, right? No doctoring in post? What's your opinion...which do you prefer?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Yup. No doctoring in post. Rendered to 5000kbps using AVS4You.

HD Hero2 seems to have the clear edge in snow. Seems a bit closer to me in the biking shots.

I'll shoot some more comps under dense forest canopy to see how they work with mottled colour

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDangit View Post
    if you don't care about capturing your voice, is to clip the lav mic somewhere on your leg or the top of you boot for optimum swoosh capture.
    it would be great to have helmet cam footage, but sound from the rear tire/crank...

i will watch the videos and comment sometime. cant do it from here at work. thanks for posting them. we just bought a secondhand hero for my son and it will be interesting to see what we left on the table.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Some more GoPro HD Hero2 testing for the snow

Trail Ninja
    Night ride test with Hero 2 (warning: sound is a bit loud, set it to around 2 bars or less):

GoPro Hero2 Night Ride Test from Varaxis on Vimeo.

Will try to get the same trail in the daytime with the Hero 2.

Trail Ninja
    I did a sunset ride on the same loop I did the night ride test one and reviewed the GoPro Hero2 footage and something seems seriously wrong with my camera. Its focus is off and the jello effect looks really severe. I'm encoding the vid now (10% with 48 mins remaining). I will post it up once it's finished, uploaded, and converted by Vimeo/YouTube. I'm hoping someone who would know can tell me that it isn't just me sensing something wrong.

Maybe the vid above might be a poor example of GoPro's low light performance during a night ride, if there really is something wrong with my camera.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Varaxis. There's new firmware for the GoPro HD Hero2. Some of the earlier run cams have that issue you mentioned. The photos taken by the camera will be off too. Try updating the firmware.
    Last edited by LeeL; 01-03-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Trail Ninja
    Hey, thanks for the info, Lee. I see the new firmware on the site.

LMAO, I now know what people mean when they say they get headaches from all the shaking.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Hey, thanks for the info, Lee. I see the new firmware on the site.

LMAO, I now know what people mean when they say they get headaches from all the shaking.
    Nothing you can do about that. Short of riding perfectly smooth trails or just doing water vids or skydiving, squirrel suit flying vids. It's a 300 cam. I bet IS asic chips would double the price and nothing will compensate for crappy technique (my technique included).

sore member
    I get significantly less shake when the camera is mounted to the bike frame versus helmet or chest mounting.

Software can also help. Deshaker combined with VirtualDub and additional codecs/plugins (all free on the web) can be used to stabilize video and compensate for rolling shutter (aka jellovision). Warning: will take some time to install, configure, and figure out the software.

If you don't have spare time, but spare money, Sony Vegas 11 has image stabilization and rolling shutter compensation. Other higher-end video editing software have these feature as well.

Software can't fix everything, but it can take enough of the shake and jello out to change a video from headache-inducing-blair-witch-project to watchable.

Back on topic.... I'd like to see more sample videos of the new GoPro in action on a bike in a forested setting. The current slate of helmet cams produce decent looking video in well lit open settings, but put them on a fast-moving bike under a forest canopy, and the results are not so great. What good is 1080p resolution when the resulting video is full of noise and artifacts?
    Last edited by ray.vermette; 01-04-2012 at 11:37 AM.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    ray - I got less shake on some spots on the bike frame. Usually mounted low there was less shake. Mounted high (handlebar, seatpost) more shake.

Chest mount and helmet mount I get less shake when I adjusted riding technique to try to keep upper body quiet. I've seen older videos by some helmet cam pioneers (Pete F, mtbbill etc) where they've had impressive results which can be attributed to quiet upper body riding techniques too so perhaps there's something to that.

Deshaker and other native IS in software does work but IMO it can't fix shitty shaky video so garbage in - garbage out. On this we both agree.

Trail Ninja
    The IS in Vegas Pro 11 crops a crap load off the footage I took yesterday. I'd get my hands in the shot in the source vid and it'd clip it to just the top of the stem and inside parts of the bars. Insane, but I really blame the footage I took. There was like a stutter every 1.5 secs too.

I didn't really intend on posting it, but since I brought it up a few times, I uploaded it so you guys judge. Same loop as the night ride vid above, shot at sunset (4:30 to 5PM in SoCal), and tamed down the classical music a bit in case people didn't like it:

I also now have a micover on the way, to help kill some of the wind noise. It's one of those fur thingees that cover mics. Got it from eye of mine, which hopefully comes in tomorrow since I'm only 80 miles away from the store.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 01-04-2012 at 02:03 PM.

sore member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    The IS in Vegas Pro 11 crops a crap load off the footage I took yesterday. I'd get my hands in the shot in the source vid and it'd clip it to just the top of the stem and inside parts of the bars. Insane, but I really blame the footage I took. There was like a stutter every 1.5 secs too.
    Looks like Vegas Pro is zooming in and out to stabilize. Deshaker gives you a lot of control over the type and amount of zoom and offers some other features to "fill in" missing data along borders so you do not have to zoom as much/at all to stabilize. However, getting it installed and working correctly and learning how to use it can be a chore.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    That's pretty shaky footage. Like Ray said I think your software is going nuts trying to stabilize it. That kind of trail shouldn't be that shaky. Hopefully the current firmware will help

Here's some non-stabilized footage to compare. No post-processing and internal mic used - GoPro HD Hero (older version)

btw re the mic - some foam around the external mic helps with the sound. Not sure if the fur covers are necessary

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    Looks like Vegas Pro is zooming in and out to stabilize. Deshaker gives you a lot of control over the type and amount of zoom and offers some other features to "fill in" missing data along borders so you do not have to zoom as much/at all to stabilize. However, getting it installed and working correctly and learning how to use it can be a chore.
    I have experience with Deshaker, which I've found stabilizes the center and leaves garbage at the edges, which I would manually have to crop or simply zoom in. Looks like Vegas does the cropping automatically.

Oh, and both of those low light vid uploads weren't stabilized. Only alterations I did was to disable smart resample and cut it down and add some music. I did attempt to stabilize the sunset vid, but reverted it after I stabilized the first clip and saw the result.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 01-04-2012 at 06:18 PM.

sore member
    The most recent version of Deshaker will do the cropping now -- either a fixed crop or adaptive zoom or some combination of the two. You need to tinker with the Pass 2 settings a bit to get decent results.

You didn't stabilize the sunset vid? I thought you had... It looked like the video was being zoomed in and out.... Just my eyes playing tricks on me I guess.

I'd like to see a video like LeeL posted above, except with the new Hero to compare. Would be good to see how the new Hero performs under a forest canopy when frame mounted.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I'll try to shoot one Ray but its been puking snow here and I've been badly distracted by the skiing

stoneyfromgermany
    @ LeeL ..where is that?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    stoney to what are you referring? Sorry I don't understand
    Last edited by LeeL; 01-13-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast