Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

GoPro hd hero (1) or Contour gps ?

I have been using my GoPro HD Hero 1 and am pretty happy with it but really like the design of the Contours better mainly for the smaller size and the gps would be nice so i can watch through bluetooth on my droid but is it worth the change or should i just stick with my GoPro ? Thanks

BTW I am looking at the deal here from launch that has the Contour Gps Megapack with 8gb card, spare battery and charger combo for $279

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalNomadRider View Post
    I have been using my GoPro HD Hero 1 and am pretty happy with it but really like the design of the Contours better mainly for the smaller size and the gps would be nice so i can watch through bluetooth on my droid but is it worth the change or should i just stick with my GoPro ? Thanks

BTW I am looking at the deal here from launch that has the Contour Gps Megapack with 8gb card, spare battery and charger combo for $279
    it's up to you.. you will notice a nice video upgrade with newer models over the Hero 1 even if you get another Hero. I like the contour's better just because of the lower profile. other than that I think they all work about the same dollar for dollar. The GPS is nice and that price is good for what ya get. I say go for it and use both
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

No Clue Crew
    I got the Contour for Christmas last year and argued with myself on whether I should get a GoPro instead. Went back and forth and came to the conclusion that if I got the GoPro I wouldn't be wondering if I should've gotten the Contour. A big reason I picked GoPro is for the Chesty mount which, to me, is the best PoV position.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the input guy's one of my concerns is from what i've read the gopro records better at night.

I think i will buy it so i can compare for my self - And just so i am clear there is only a version of the contour gps right ? seems like $279 is a great deal for what you get. here is the link

Contour GPS Megapack inc 8GB card, spare battery and charger combo | Launch Helmet Cams

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    They're both terrible for dark/night. Don't pick one on that basis.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    They're both terrible for dark/night. Don't pick one on that basis.
    @LeeL is right, neither are good for dark/night however the Contour is much better than the GoPro. The nice thing about the Contour is you have a lot more control over the exposure settings (ie you don't have any control with the GoPro). Even in the auto setting the Contour performs better in low light; if you use the bluetooth connection with your phone you can also go in and adjust the videos settings on the trail if things start to get dark.
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams
    We'll beat any online price for mtbr.com members!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Launch Helmet Cams View Post
    @LeeL is right, neither are good for dark/night however the Contour is much better than the GoPro. The nice thing about the Contour is you have a lot more control over the exposure settings (ie you don't have any control with the GoPro). Even in the auto setting the Contour performs better in low light; if you use the bluetooth connection with your phone you can also go in and adjust the videos settings on the trail if things start to get dark.
    Thanks and having a droid being able to use the bluetooth feature out of the box is a big plus and for me just like the smaller design BUT i bought a roam last year form amazon and had to send it back because it did not turn on out of the box so kind of made me question there quality which i understand with electroncs stuff happens.

So do you guys check them all before they are shipped and just to clarify there is only one version of the gps right ? because honeslty your price seems really great considering the other vendors (not that i am complaing Haha) Thanks

Chris

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Thanks and having a droid being able to use the bluetooth feature out of the box is a big plus and for me just like the smaller design BUT i bought a roam last year form amazon and had to send it back because it did not turn on out of the box so kind of made me question there quality which i understand with electroncs stuff happens.

So do you guys check them all before they are shipped and just to clarify there is only one version of the gps right ? because honeslty your price seems really great considering the other vendors (not that i am complaing Haha) Thanks

Chris
    I don't know about the Roam's but I got to say Contour's customer service is the best of any electronic company I've ever dealt with, even better than Apple with there AppleCare.. and that is saying a LOT...!! read here...

How am I loving a Bad Camera?

I also had a minor issue with a mount I got from them, not only did they take care of it but they went and sent another mount along with the new one that they thought might work better for the application I was using it in just because... Great customer service trumps manufacturing errors any day (with in reason anyway)

If you think about it.. if some one produces a 98% quality product then 2 out of every hundred are going to have issues... then figure they make what 10,000+ units? that's like 200+ units that may have issues... If the company takes care of those that get those bad units then you have a great thing going!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    I don't know about the Roam's but I got to say Contour's customer service is the best of any electronic company I've ever dealt with, even better than Apple with there AppleCare.. and that is saying a LOT...!! read here...

How am I loving a Bad Camera?

I also had a minor issue with a mount I got from them, not only did they take care of it but they went and sent another mount along with the new one that they thought might work better for the application I was using it in just because... Great customer service trumps manufacturing errors any day (with in reason anyway)

If you think about it.. if some one produces a 98% quality product then 2 out of every hundred are going to have issues... then figure they make what 10,000+ units? that's like 200+ units that may have issues... If the company takes care of those that get those bad units then you have a great thing going!!
    I agree 100% and after calling contour they were very helpful and told me to send it back and I would get a new one but at the time i wasn't thinking straight and felt i would have better luck with a gopro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So i would have no problem buying from contour again knowing if there was a problem they would take care of it.

passed out in your garden
    I have a Roam, and reckon its great, no probs at all so far, picked up a Flex Strap mount yesterday which was slightly expensive, but it is a quality item, will try it later today.

I have left it in its lowest setting, 720, and Im impressed with the quality, no 60f/s on the Roam , but oh well, I did also need to play with the audio a bit and possibly will end up putting a bit of tape over the mike. Settings in the Roam can only be changed with a computer, but I generally set these things up once and then never play with them again, so that was no biggy for me, the laser to set up the level and the rotating lens are great ideas , the video files are quite large, but with todays hardrives that's also not such a biggy

basically purchased it as it was small(ish) and cheap, and I really like it (would've loved to get the Contour+)

heres an example, both edited on Windows Live Movie Maker:
    not saved as HD, so only 480 view possible Daily commute..wmv - YouTube

saved as HD, so 720 view possible My Adventure 10.3.2012 - YouTube

I have never used any other camera so cant comment
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg. View Post
    I have a Roam, and reckon its great, no probs at all so far, picked up a Flex Strap mount yesterday which was slightly expensive, but it is a quality item, will try it later today.

I have left it in its lowest setting, 720, and Im impressed with the quality, no 60f/s on the Roam , but oh well, I did also need to play with the audio a bit and possibly will end up putting a bit of tape over the mike. Settings in the Roam can only be changed with a computer, but I generally set these things up once and then never play with them again, so that was no biggy for me, the laser to set up the level and the rotating lens are great ideas , the video files are quite large, but with todays hardrives that's also not such a biggy

basically purchased it as it was small(ish) and cheap, and I really like it (would've loved to get the Contour+)

heres an example, both edited on Windows Live Movie Maker:
    not saved as HD, so only 480 view possible Daily commute..wmv - YouTube

saved as HD, so 720 view possible My Adventure 10.3.2012 - YouTube

I have never used any other camera so cant comment
    Very nice Thank you for your input and i am really,really jealous of your commute - You are very lucky and that was one lucky cat Haha

How do you like it mounted on your helmet and is the weight very noticeable ? I think the laser sights and rotating lens are a awesome idea too.

I am most likely going to order the Contour GPS today and wanted to know if you are able to watch what you record through your phone via bluetooth or is it only for viewing while recording and changing setting's ? Thanks

How do you like it mounted on your helmet and is the weight very noticeable ?
    I have it mounted on the side, my helmet is sh!t and doesnt really fit, but the weight is noticeable, but you get used to it, I actually tilt the lens a little due to my helmet slipping down, I need to mount it on top of my helmet I think, also looking forward to trying it at skiing

I wanted to know if you are able to watch what you record through your phone via bluetooth or is it only for viewing while recording and changing setting's ? Thanks
    cant answer that sorry, those options are not available with the Roam

tried the new mount today, pointing backwards over the rear wheel, not too bad, now I just have to edit it and get it up
    1993 Colnago Elegant

and I did it, can watch in 720, view over the rear wheel, whole vid is at double speed

Riding 24.3.2012.wmv - YouTube
    1993 Colnago Elegant

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    and I did it, can watch in 720, view over the rear wheel, whole vid is at double speed

Riding 24.3.2012.wmv - YouTube
    looks kinda cool.. now switch it up a few times during the ride...

don't bother with it on top of your helmet, it looses all depth perception there and looks funny.. I prefer mine on the side of the helmet.. move the mount around you bike too you'll be surprised at the cool views you can get...

For me, Playing around with mounts and views is 1/2 the fun...

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I am most likely going to order the Contour GPS today and wanted to know if you are able to watch what you record through your phone via bluetooth or is it only for viewing while recording and changing setting's ? Thanks
    Yup you can watch what you're recording thru the bluetooth connection with the ContourGPS

looks kinda cool.. now switch it up a few times during the ride...
    but then I need to stop the fun and stuff around

don't bother with it on top of your helmet, it looses all depth perception there and looks funny.. I prefer mine on the side of the helmet.. move the mount around you bike too you'll be surprised at the cool views you can get...

For me, Playing around with mounts and views is 1/2 the fun...
    Im a bit of a set & forget kinda bloke, will go play with it again today
    1993 Colnago Elegant

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    but then I need to stop the fun and stuff around

ya.. i get that.. so record a bunch of rides over the weeks and stitch pieces from each together doesn't HAVE t be from the same ride

here's the result, using the Roam, and in places an old digi camera

skills training - YouTube
    1993 Colnago Elegant

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    here's the result, using the Roam, and in places an old digi camera

skills training - YouTube
    that's sweet riding with the little man!!!!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011

Chris
    We don't check each individual camera before sending them out for a couple of reasons:

1. We use a third party warehousing company to ship our orders and the cost to have them check cameras would be massive. And even if they did check them, a basic test wont catch all faults, it will only catch the odd "dead on arrival" unit.
    2. We only ship out factory sealed units because people don't like receiving "open box" units because they don't know if it is a new or used camera. As soon as the factory seal is broken on a package we consider it to be an "open box" unit and we wont sell it as a new item.

Contour do have good quality control though and we don't see many warranty returns and like others have said, if there is an issue we have found Contour to have excellent customer service.
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011

Contour bluetooth

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Yup you can watch what you're recording thru the bluetooth connection with the ContourGPS
    Just to clarify, you can see what the camera sees via bluetooth while it is in standby, but once you start recording the bluetooth connection is dropped. You can't be connected via bluetooth while you are actually recording and you can't play back clips via bluetooth.
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Just to clarify, you can see what the camera sees via bluetooth while it is in standby, but once you start recording the bluetooth connection is dropped. You can't be connected via bluetooth while you are actually recording and you can't play back clips via bluetooth.
    Yes - sorry for the slipup and loose answer. Should have said you can preview what you'll be recording via the bluetooth connection. But make sure you have the latest firmware version also as some older ContourGPS's don't have the latest firmware (that won't be LaunchHelmet's fault) but its very easy to update the firmware from the Contour website

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    We don't check each individual camera before sending them out for a couple of reasons:

1. We use a third party warehousing company to ship our orders and the cost to have them check cameras would be massive. And even if they did check them, a basic test wont catch all faults, it will only catch the odd "dead on arrival" unit.
    2. We only ship out factory sealed units because people don't like receiving "open box" units because they don't know if it is a new or used camera. As soon as the factory seal is broken on a package we consider it to be an "open box" unit and we wont sell it as a new item.

Contour do have good quality control though and we don't see many warranty returns and like others have said, if there is an issue we have found Contour to have excellent customer service.
    That is understandable, I finally went to order one tonight and noticed you guy's all of a sudden raised the priced to $299 man guess i shouldn't have posted this thread maybe your sales went up Haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quick question out of the GoPro HD vs the Contour Roam which has the better Audio?
    This would be my first camera and want to use it on my Tandem with my daughter so I want to hear everything going on if possible

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast