mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Gopro footage/editors to keep original format.

I'm curious if you guys have any suggestions for editors. I have been using video pad and had ok luck but I seem to get random fuzzy sections in my videos after they have been put together. (I will include some examples below)

I love playing with this camera and use it for everthing though! Now it's time for the hd hero2

Bootleg Canyon Mountain Biking - What to expect - YouTube - bootleg canyon

Snow Summit Downhill Mountain Biking/Freeride - YouTube - snow summit

No, that's not phonetic
    Cameras shoot in formats that compress the files nicely and maintain quality (e.g., MPEG-4 H.264 in the case of the GoPro), but that most video editors basically can't use because of the way the individual frames are stored to save space. Video editors usually have to unpack and expand the files to make them editable. Quicktime can make basic edits in the native format, but it would not be confused with a full featured video editing program. I get consistently good output of GoPro and AVCHD and AVCHD lite files from iMovie, but I'm guessing you are on a windows machine.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by klif01 View Post
    I'm curious if you guys have any suggestions for editors. I have been using video pad and had ok luck but I seem to get random fuzzy sections in my videos after they have been put together. (I will include some examples below)

I love playing with this camera and use it for everthing though! Now it's time for the hd hero2

Bootleg Canyon Mountain Biking - What to expect - YouTube - bootleg canyon

Snow Summit Downhill Mountain Biking/Freeride - YouTube - snow summit
    Whoah...on the bootleg canyon video things get really weird starting @ :34

I use Videopad for quick uploads and Vegas Pro for better stuff. Videopad is actually pretty good and I don't think your issue is the program itself. When I output in Videopad, I use .MP4 but change the encoder options to MPEG4 6000kbps average and 9000kbps max. I don't have any issues you mentioned.

What are the specs of your computer? (I run i7 @ 4ghz, 12gb ram, HD6970, W7 x64)

Ironically, I use to do it on a MacBook Pro (iMovie) but it took much longer and didn't like the way it transcoded.

mtbr member

Sony Vegas

I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio, and I get almost all my editing done without a hinch. Yes, it's not as powerful as Adobe Premiere, but for the price, it's hard to beat. Check out amazon, they have Vegas 11 for half the price. Might be a good time to buy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ya it does that a couple times throughout the video and I only applied some basic transitions/speed effects. To be honest, I'm not sure about all the computer specs. it's my work laptop, I don't own my own.
    Says intel core duo 2 U9600 @ 1.6ghz 3.45 gb ram.

Everything I have saved off video pad was avg 15kbps and 16k max.

when looking at the original footage with movie inspectr on quicktime (I have been shooting in 720p at 60fps untill my hd hero2's that I ordered get here) it usually shows that it's at 15.13 mbps and when I saved the video with the lower data rate it seemed to lower the quality.

What does youtube convert it to when you upload a video?