Thread: GoPro Filters

mtbr member

GoPro Filters

Hey guys,

I'm a scuba diver and for the underwater use of the GoPro you can use different filters to help heighten the depth of color and make the video more vivid.

Question:

Is there a filter that anyone here has used (or know of) that can assist in filming in treed, wooded trails? Something that makes the greens pop and browns seem more "alive"... similar to a polarized lens... heck maybe I just answered my quesiton?

If so, how are you mounting these filters to the GoPro?

Thanks!
    Colin
    MTB: 2011 Trek HiFi Pro 29er
    ROAD:2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Have you tried your underwater filters?

Are you using the aftermarket lens for the GOPRO that is so popular with the underwater shooting world?

Have you tried just working with hue&saturation in the video editing programs?

mtbr member
    I don't actually have any of the filters... up to this point I've used the standard GoPro housing... but I've seen many videos of the "EyeOfMine" cases which can assist in underwater blur.

I've seen a few videos of "DIY" underwater (flat lens) fixes... and one or two on using baby bottle caps, and a DSLR filter... just wondering if anyone has any other ideas, or if the group has a slick method of using filters

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nope, I haven't experimented with filters, but I'd love to ad a polarizing filter. I wonder if the sensor is simply too small to deal with the restricted light input that would result from a dark filter...

edit: yes, it was the Eyeofmine filters that I was referring to! the name escaped me.

mtbr member
    Something like this....

DIY Gopro HD case mod - Circular Polariser - YouTube

Then you can use any filter you choose.

I can't find it now.. but I saw a YouTube video of a GoPro using a Polarized filter and the difference was incredible! Even made things sharper... something to do with the camera not having to focus as much or something like that (due to glare)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A Polarization filter will increase greens. The Go Pro can definitely handle a polarization filter.
    In my opinion it was easier to just buy a filter rather than messing with an editing software. The polarization filter works when it is partly cloudy to sunny out but darkens up the picture too much when it is cloudy or dark.

The Polarizer is mainly used to cut glare and reduce overexposure.

If you are scuba diving you will want a red or orange filter that makes greens and blues pop.

I got my Polarization filter here for $9.99: goprolens.com

I know they said something about having a red filter too.
    Shoot em an email.

Hope that helped a little.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    depending on what editing software you are using you can do a lot of that stuff post recording... I know Imovie does some good enhancing of colors if you click the "advance controls" button.... Probably not as good as an actual filter but might get you by till you find one.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Like thomllama said, most editing software has a color correction that you can use post recording. I use Adobe After Effects and Final Cut and they both of awesome color correction software.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpeters1 View Post
    A Polarization filter will increase greens. The Go Pro can definitely handle a polarization filter.
    In my opinion it was easier to just buy a filter rather than messing with an editing software. The polarization filter works when it is partly cloudy to sunny out but darkens up the picture too much when it is cloudy or dark.

The Polarizer is mainly used to cut glare and reduce overexposure.

If you are scuba diving you will want a red or orange filter that makes greens and blues pop.

I got my Polarization filter here for $9.99: goprolens.com

I know they said something about having a red filter too.
    Shoot em an email.

Hope that helped a little.
    Thanks soo much - this is exactly what I'm looking for... something where I do not have to alter the housing for MTB.

Thanks again!!