mtbr member

GoPro clicking noise/sound using chest mount

How come no one opened a thread about this? This is really an annoying issue others are reporting too.
    I bought a new GoPro2 and chesty mount and can't get rid of the annoying clicking noise it produces. Is there some way to fix it? I can't pinpoint from where it comes exactly, I'm guessing the plastic buckle.

Currently I don't have any video of my own to show, but it's this same sound: Tipperary South Descent - YouTube

and another one, the same: An Anglerís Review: GoPro 2
    (the Vimeo video)

Here a guy proposed a fix but I still don't get it, where do I exactly put this tape?
    Another good tip (read it on here) is to put two strips of electrical tape inside the chest mount clip - makes it a tighter fit and prevents the annoying clicking noise that you get in lots of gopro clips
    Source: So I bought a GoPro... ę Singletrack Forum

First I thought of making a custom chest mount but then I thought maybe I could repair this one, since I already bought it

mtbr member
    Your GoPro should have come with a white rubber insert that plugs Up the back side of the mount. It tightens it in place and fills in the loose gap that the GoPro go pro mount can have occasionally. I always use mine, and have never had an issue
    MTB: 2011 Trek HiFi Pro 29er
    ROAD:2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6

mtbr member
    I've never used that white rubber, in the matter of fact I forgot it existed.
    Will try next time, however I now have another problem.

This is the mount I use for chest mount because only with this mount I can get the desired angle for recording, but I can't insert the rubber thing into it:

From Razno

And I can insert it in this mount, but it's useless for chest mount because it greatly restricts camera positioning and can't get the desired angle:

From Razno

To remedy this, I should use extension arms but then the whole thing loses on rigidity (more arms = more flex), thus nullifying the whole effort started in the first place

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I never knew what the white thing was for! Had to go on youtube just to see where it goes. I was able to cram it in the same mount but snapped the rubber lanyard. I don't think it's going anywhere. I will test it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    @Neo-ST: Is it not possible for you to get the angle you need by putting the GoPro in upside down? That is the only way I can get the angle I need for the chest mount to look good. If that works for you than you don't need that extra mount and can use the little white bit to stop at least one part of the clicking noise.

mtbr member
    @Nes-St, I have the same issue with my chest harness. The white vibration plug will not work with the J-Buckle as you have explained. I use the J-Buckle too, as you can put the buckle in the harness upside down and then put the camera in UPd mode. It is a great angle.

Try cutting of a short piece of insulation tape, roughly 15mm long. Place the tape over the raised guide in the base of the chest harness. Then clip in your J-Buckle. This is just enough to tighten up the slop between the clips and the harness and should get rid of your rattling noise.
    Earth Wind and Water - Capture the Action
    http://www.earthwindwater.com.au

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backsattack View Post
    @Neo-ST: Is it not possible for you to get the angle you need by putting the GoPro in upside down? That is the only way I can get the angle I need for the chest mount to look good. If that works for you than you don't need that extra mount and can use the little white bit to stop at least one part of the clicking noise.
    I can but then it's pointed to my chin and if I don't use it upside down then it's pointed to my top tube. Only if I use the curved adapter (J-buckle, first pic in my post) can I get the proper angle...

Quote Originally Posted by earthwindnwater View Post
    @Nes-St, I have the same issue with my chest harness. The white vibration plug will not work with the J-Buckle as you have explained. I use the J-Buckle too, as you can put the buckle in the harness upside down and then put the camera in UPd mode. It is a great angle.
    That's what I usually do, but then I get the clicking noise.

Quote Originally Posted by earthwindnwater View Post
    Try cutting of a short piece of insulation tape, roughly 15mm long. Place the tape over the raised guide in the base of the chest harness. Then clip in your J-Buckle. This is just enough to tighten up the slop between the clips and the harness and should get rid of your rattling noise.
    I'm gonna experiment with the non-J buckle today to see if I can get the white rubber, extension arm and proper angle together. If that fails then I'm gonna try your solution, thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
    I'm gonna experiment with the non-J buckle today to see if I can get the white rubber, extension arm and proper angle together. If that fails then I'm gonna try your solution, thanks!
    I have used the tape solution in many applications. Normally we need to do this in water ski racing and blown alcohol circuit boat racing. The tape method has been tested in excess of 120mph and it takes out all the vibration.

Trail Connoisseur
    This might seem like a dumb question but what back are you using? I noticed that when I used the waterproof one there was absolutely no way to get rid of the clicking, when I use the skeleton back I don't get much or any clicking... granted I made my own mount too.

mtbr member
    I use standard but extended back (which I got when I bought LCD bacpac), it's a non-waterproof one.
    Today I tried waterproof one with rubber thing on motorcycle, using the chest mount and it didn't produce any clicking noises. I wanted to try the standard one on bicycle today but didn't make it, will tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Just to report, the white rubber insert solved clicking issues. So far so good

Trail Connoisseur
    Good to know. I will definitely be using that thing next time I take the camera out.

mtbr member
    I get a very loud and annoying repeated clicking sound when using chest mount and helmet strap mount. It's a very disappointing issue with the waterproof case. I don't think it's the harness, but the camera inside the case. Have any of you experienced this and found a fix? I mean I could add some tape but I don't necessarily want to tape up the camera.

mtbr member
    You will probably find it is the Quick Release buckle rattling in the Chest Harness. If you use the little white rubber thingy that came with your GoPro Camera, this should fix the issue.

If this is not the issue, your camera may be loose in the housing. This can be caused by the foam on the back door becoming compressed over time.

I hope this helps.

Check out this blog post regarding the little white rubber thingy - GoPro Camera - What is the White Rubber Thing?

mtbr member
    I'l try finding a new backdoor or some thin sticky foam. It rattles when I shake it, unmounted, next to my ear. I've had the issue from day one. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Rubber horse shoe thing Weill probably fix it right up. I also had a rattle on the little lens that covers the front led. Hot glue fixed that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

My little friends
    And I thought that the white rubber thingy was a nose clip to keep water from going up your nose!

EMBA Member
    For me the rubber thing lessened the clicking, but didn't eliminate it. The electrical tape solution should also help some, but instead of that, for my videos when using the waterproof housing, what I've started doing is, during the editing process, just zero out the volume on the camera audio since it is of such poor quality, and add some vibe appropriate music soundtrack instead.

mtbr member
    I found some how-to's on taking the camera apart to remedy internal button rattle when tape and foam on the outside don't work. I'm usually not about taking expensive stuff apart like that. I'd rather not, but I'll try some hot-glue or foam if I can pinpoint where exactly the movement is causing the most sound.
    I have the wi-fi bakpack... I've never ridden with it before, though. I think I'll try it out soon and see if it still rattles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Why not just edit the sound out? I never use the original audio!

Loves to suffer
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    Why not just edit the sound out? I never use the original audio!
    Because it's nice to be able to hear the actual sounds of a real bike ride-the tires on the dirt, nature sounds, conversations between riders, the effort of a good climb or technical section, or any other sound that you might want to hear. I like to relive my rides, and I also use my videos to judge my riding. On climbs I like to hear when I shift gears and how much effort I'm putting out.

I'll be honest. 95% of the time, if I hear music instead of ride audio when I click on a video, I hit stop and move on. I like some music videos, especially those with the music mixed in with the original audio like a good movie instead of all the original audio removed.

mtbr member
    The chestie mount makes real sounds. Its happens on bumps and hits and chatters . I like the noise it makes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just shoved the white grommet that comes with the mounts in there (hard to fit on the chesty), with it mounted upside down:

Waterdog (GoPro Hero 2 chesty mount) - Rambler Trail - 2-16-13 - YouTube

Not a lot of clicking. The mount itself will make noise because it's not completely firm, but it's not too bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    has anyone tried using the mic input to bypass the on-board mic? this would require drilling out a hole in the case but i think it would solve the problem of the mic being located inside the case, which just serves as an echo chamber/amplifier for any annoying click generated by the case hitting something. i might try this using my earbuds as a mic and putting them inside my shirt to block the wind.