mtbr member
    Mar 2013

We the people ... GoPro Chesty Shaking

Hi there,
    On my first day of filming with the "Chesty" mount, I have discovered my footage is very shaky. Shaky to the point that t is unusable. I have the straps as tight as the will go and there is still violent shaking.

I have been looking around for more tips about this and found that you can mount the camera upside down. Is there anymore tips or stuff that I could do to reduce this shaking?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It depends on if it is the mount itself that is shaking or are the straps no able to get tight enough to keep everything all together firm and what not. If you are super skinny then you might want to try criss-crossing the straps?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm pretty skinny and haven't had problems with the straps shaking too much to the point of unusable. There will be some shake, I mean after all, its mounted on you while your moving around and all that. However it should be usable, even on a very bumpy trail. Only thing I can think of is maybe you dont have the straps tightened all the way or the camera isn't screwed in very tight. Mounting it upside down should help some, it also gives a better view if you leaned over, it doesnt show the bike frame as much and it will show the handlebars and what is in front of you. Hope some of this helps

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    if you are wearing a backpack with an upper chest strap you can clip it over the mounts below the gopro case. this helps stabilize it a bunch. i use three arms on the chest mount in order to get the angle i like (so you're not looking at my stem the whole time) so there is a lot more potential for wobble. the gopro sits pretty high with it mounted this way too, but running the strap over the arms just below the case and cinching it down snug eliminates a lot of the shake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thankyou for the replies. I am still experienceing shaking (I am aware you'd usually get some shaking on the trail but not to the pont of ridiculousness.) Anyway.. The Gro Pro is sitting nice and snug inside the housing. Perhaps its also getting vibration from the little mounting piece itself. I also think it might be coming from the fron of the chesty. Hard to explain, but I have the straps done as tight as they will go but yet the elastic is giving it some give allowing it to bounce?

Airborne Flight Crew
    Use the straps on your camelback to hold it down. works great for me.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had the exact same issue of unusable video until I added an extension plate to the bottom and an additional strap. Also, I run the camera upside down in the mount.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If the video is "stabalized" well (no blurring when the camera shakes), you can edit out the shakiness in video post. Use a tracker to track the video, and offset that position to an X,Y movement controller so that it offsets the shaky video. It helps if you record at 1080p, use a 720p composition, and then you can scale the video down so you don't need to mess with the edges when the video moves around your composition. The render out to 720p and you're golden.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by 84532 View Post
    i use three arms on the chest mount in order to get the angle i like (so you're not looking at my stem the whole time) so there is a lot more potential for wobble.
    Hey 84532, there's an easier way:
    First, invert the clip on mount in the chesty like this:

Then, mount the camera upside down like this:

This way when you are riding in the attack position, your camera won't be staring at the ground. Note these are self shots using a mirror. You get the idea.

In settings, switch the mode to inverted, or, you can do it in post-processing, but this requires re-encoding which may lose some fidelity (for example if you do it in quicktime).

Cosmoworks, great idea.

RandomGuy, what software? Sounds like you're running some pretty sophisticated stuff.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Next time, post some larger photos, can barely make out what's going on ;D

You can download fairly simple editing software for free directly from GoPro's site: GoPro Cineform Studio It has a function that will rotate your upside-down videos.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    RandomGuy, what software? Sounds like you're running some pretty sophisticated stuff.
    I'm running After Effects (you can download a free 30 day trial of it from their site). You can also do a pay-per-month of it for about $20/month, which is reasonable. For a tutorial on how to do the effect, videocopilot.net.

If I can find time, I'll install a couple of the free video editing softwares to see if the same effect can be applied.

The idea is to track the motion of a "still" object, like your stem, and use tracking data to control the XY of a camera. Its a bit more than that (Andrew Kramer explains it in depth), but that is the gist of it.

edit: Does anyone have a 15 second or so clip that I can experiment with that they could upload somewhere? It'll be a month or 2 before I get my GoPro cam(s)

Airborne Flight Crew
    RandomGuy - Do you do your entire editing process in AE - or do you use it conjunction with Premiere? I ask because I use Premiere mostly. Have AE, but rarely touch it....
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    (edit: Sent a PM to keep on topic instead)
    Last edited by RandomGuyOnABike; 04-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    can someone take a look at my test vid here and tell me if that is excessive shaking
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3H-yYfV-94

i used a chest mount and have it tight, but tight is relative...it feels snug but not sure if it needs to be more tight than snug...

the trails here are really rooty as well, so i'm not sure if that is going to be the case due to the terrain...also i'm using a cheap ass SD card until my new one arrives, transcend class 10 card...this was filmed in 1080p 30fps

thanks

My little friends
    I made an extension to the mounting plate out of a sheet of 1/8" plastic. It is as wide and maybe 1 1/2 times longer than the the chesty plate. I used 3M double faced foam tape to adhere it to the Chesty mount. I noticed that most vibes were caused by the camera and mount pivoting forward, (down), when I hit a bump. Now, this extension plate prevents the setup from rotating.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    EA,
    what you described sounds like what the pics show from cosmoworks posted above...is that it? or is the plate placed directly underneath, or further down or up the original mount?

My little friends
    The plate I added extends down towards my waist, probably 5 inches or so and is attached to the rear of the chesty plate, on the same plane.