Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GoPro Black or Drift Ghost HD?

59K views 66 replies 21 participants last post by  KingAlrik 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

does anyone have any experience with the Drift Ghost HD camera? It seems to have better battery life than the GoPro. I like the look of it but wondering why the GoPro Black will be better?

Cheers

#5 ·
Camera wise, the Black is a better camera for the higher resolution options. That said, having a 4K resolution doesn't really mean much for "regular" guys. It'll give you some more flexibility in the post process editing, but there's really very few devices that will let you show 4K or 2.7K videos and certainly none on the web. You do get 60 fps at 1080p with the GoPro where you only get 30 with the Drift (and Contour). You can do 60 fps at 720 with the Drift.

It looks like the Drift is taking good videos, but I haven't seen enough to really say. Many of the sites that have done head to head comparisons rank the Contour ahead of the Drift, but both behind the GoPro.

On the other hand, with the GoPro, you get the clunky square form factor that sticks out from where ever you mount it and you have to mount it upright. It's smaller now, but still a big negative for me! With the Drift (and Contour) you can mount it at any angle, in virtually any place and rotate the lens to get upright video and it's fairly compact in comparison to the GoPro. You can mount it pretty flush to the top or side of a helmet, one of the tubes of your bike (along the top tube, head tube etc) so it's much less likely to grab a branch or something as you go by.

I think for mounting options, GoPro and Contour lead the pack. Drift has a bunch, but not as many.

And despite what aedubber says, battery life is a consideration, especially if you're going to be doing long, multi-day events, since it affects how many extra batteries you'd have to bring along. Or on a long day ride, you'll have to manage things better with the shorter life battery.

Disclaimer: I use a Contour ROAM and am very happy with it. I want to get a higher end camera to go with the ROAM so I'm keeping an eye on all of them. I initially was thinking that with the super high resolution of the Black, I'd grab one, but in the end, I'll likely never use the capability and will have to deal with the form factor, so I'll stick with the Contour and get a +2 based on everything I've read and seen (or wait for the +3!).

#6 ·
Not sure how long the Hero3 batteries last, but I have a GoPro 2 and Hero HD and battery life is pretty decent on those two - I know the Hero3 uses a different battery so can't attest to that particular model.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. From the research Ive done it seems to me that the only thing better than on the GoPro 3 black is the high res i.e. 4k and 60 fps at 1080 - I'm not going to have anything to play the 4k on in the next few years and from what I understand the 60 fps will give me slow motion which the Drift Ghost will do at 720 which again will be ok for my needs.

The benefits of the Ghost are form factor, as Skiahh pointed out above this will give me more mounting options (you can also get an adapter for the Ghost to allow you to use the GoPro mounts) the Ghost has better battery life and is cheaper.

Am I missing something? Please say if I am. As above everyone says the gopro 3 is the best out there but is this only for professional's? those that have the ability to film and edit in the highest res?

There are not enough examples of videos from the average person out there at the moment but the ones on the web for the Ghost seem pretty good.

My thinking is the Ghost will be the overall better camera for what I need rather than the spec on the box?

But again if I'm wrong please tell me why.

many thanks

#8 ·
If you don't need the 4K or 2.5K or 1080p @ 60fps and all you plan to edit is 720p @ 60fps then your decision is easier. If you like the LCD screen then maybe the Drift HD would better suit you - I believe wireless is built into both the GoPro 3 Black and Drift ghost HD so it is an even draw there.

The GoPro 3 is smaller than the previous GoPro's and in my opinion, I never had any issue with the bulkiness of the HeroHD or Hero 2 cameras - with the GoPro 3 being smaller - I don't see any major issue with the box shape versus the shape of the Ghost HD.

But in the end, it is your camera and you should get what you think suits you. I don't edit above 720p @ 60 fps so the only thing I like about the Hero 3 for my tastes are the better image quality and built in wireless.

#9 ·
My reasons for going with the GoPro Black:

4k. No, I won't be using it for ANY video, but its effectively a 15 fps 12 megapixel camera. Will be great for pulling still images from.

120 FPS @ 720. I do most my filming at 720, and 120fps is twice what the ghost offers. Excellent for slo-mo.

Chest mount. Despite the rather unpopular square form factor on the gopro, it's the best for chest mount views, which imo, are the most accurate/real.

1080 @ 60fps. This allows for shooting a larger frame, so I can zoom in while post processing with no quality loss, it essentially gives you extra video real estate if you produce/edit in 720.

WiFi remote. I'm sure the Ghost has it too...

I've used the Hero 2 and have some mounts and accessories that will transfer to the black. Even if that weren't the case, I'd still go with the black.

**Extra batteries are always a great idea, no matter what camera you have :)

#11 ·
My reasons for going with the GoPro Black:

4k. No, I won't be using it for ANY video, but its effectively a 15 fps 12 megapixel camera. Will be great for pulling still images from.

120 FPS @ 720. I do most my filming at 720, and 120fps is twice what the ghost offers. Excellent for slo-mo.

Chest mount. Despite the rather unpopular square form factor on the gopro, it's the best for chest mount views, which imo, are the most accurate/real.

1080 @ 60fps. This allows for shooting a larger frame, so I can zoom in while post processing with no quality loss, it essentially gives you extra video real estate if you produce/edit in 720.

WiFi remote. I'm sure the Ghost has it too...

I've used the Hero 2 and have some mounts and accessories that will transfer to the black. Even if that weren't the case, I'd still go with the black.

**Extra batteries are always a great idea, no matter what camera you have :)
Thank you, I think I'm finally understanding :thumbsup: final question. You say filming at 720 at 120 fps gives you better slow mo. Would it give me better quality video or is it really for slow mo?

The drift does had wifi remote. The reason I'm favouring the ghost at the moment is because it seems to be a bit better value, with the gopro you have to add stuff like battery backpack's, screen and the ghost has these as standard and a lower cost.

Although after looking at the GoPro website the video examples are far better than the Drifts website!! Aaaarrrgghhh!!!:madman:

#10 ·
Dont need the 4k or 2.5k but the Ghost will shoot in 1080 - question. What is the real world difference in shooting at 1080 at 60fps and 1080 at 30 fps?? Is the image the same quality and you lose a bit of slow motion capability?? or is the image at 1080/60 better than 1080/30??

you say that you dont edit above 720 at 60 fps so why would the gp3 be better for you? Just asking and trying to understand, not being difficult.

Cheers

#12 ·
No worries ;)

I edit at 720 (should have said 30fps, not 60 - my bad). The gp3 does 720 @ 120fps, so the slow motion quality will be very good. For me, that's an important feature.

Difference (for me) in shooting 60fps or 30fps: I just like having the option for cleaner slow-mo. I'm not sure there's a difference in image quality that you or I could discern.

(Also, the gp3 will do a three second burst of still images at 10 frames per second. The still image capability is a big deal for me, but I understand it may not be for other people.)

If you're cool with 720 or 1080 at 30fps, don't need 4k or 2.5k, then the gp3 might be overkill, but it seems about the same price as the ghost - and to me it just seems more versatile according to my needs.

#13 · (Edited)
#14 ·
#21 ·
skiahh/jhazard,

many thanks for the info/explanations. A massive help.

I suppose the three things that are most important to me are
Remote *Drift can turn the unit on/off has lights to easily see mode,
Battery life - Drift seems to win on this one although I know I will still need a spare battery if I want a
full day. Not sure how both will perform though with stopping/starting from the remote. Maybe on a 4-5 hr ride there will be around 8-10 trails that I would want filming of around 5mins each trail so hoping I
might get away with just the one battery? Also I like the feature of the 5 min standby which I believe both the drift and gopro black both have.

I dont thing the Contour has a remote or the 5 min mode and together with both the Drift and Gopro
having better still photo capability this has ruled out the Contour.

Not sure if I will use it but the Drift also has digital zoom, might be useful? I also like the Drifts ability to mount in different positions on the bike and the lens can be rotated to compensate.

I ride mountain and road pedal bikes together with off road/road motorbikes so I'm hoping the camera
will get lots of use which is why I'm a bit anal about making the right decision for me needs.

also the Drift works out a bit cheaper which also helps but is not a deal breaker.

#22 ·
skiahh/jhazard,

many thanks for the info/explanations. A massive help.
You'll get good use out of either of them, really.

The GP3 also has a phone app you can download that will act as a remote, I've not used it so can't really comment. The wi-fi remote on the GP3 has a little lcd screen that shows exactly the same thing that's on the camera, and you can change modes with the remote as well.

The Drift is probably easier to mount to *whatever*, as it's just a bit smaller and all. The lens rotate option is pretty cool too. If you can get it cheap, it's probably a better option for you.

Good luck, and be sure to post up when get one and shoot as video with it!

#24 ·
Thanks.

I really just need to make a decision! :)

With the touch screen and battery backpack add on's for the gopro it works out around £100 uk between the two but of course the screen is not essential as you can hook up to your android phone if needed. That then brings the difference down to around £20 uk so the plot continues!! :)

I am pulling towards the Drift though on the battery, screen rotation/mounting options. Just want to make sure the quality will be ok.

So after all this I will probably end up with the GoPro!! :) Will keep you updated and when and whatever I purchase will get lots of footage on all bikes.

#28 ·
There is a company named contour that has a camera that seems pretty good. Our Yamaha rep was showing us the newest version which looks intriguing. Has a laser for leveling the picture out on the go and connects and can watch as you record. Haven't tried it though. We are selling them for 400 they are suppose to compete with the new go pro black edition

#29 ·
Contour has been discussed in this thread already.

GoPro 3 specs outlcass the Contour (IMO). 1080 @ 60fps, 12mpx still images, 4k capability... It does everything the Contour does, plus more but at the same pricepoint.

The only real difference in form factor, which can be a real deal breaker for some, and I understand; I don't mind the square shaped GoPro, but others feel the Contour is an easier cam to mount. But spec-wise, I don't see how the Contour can compete with the GoPro.

My 2cents (again) anyhow.. ;)

#31 ·
Go pro has already been discussed as well, I was just stating my opinion and what our rep was telling us and showing us at the dealer I work at.

contour you can adjust the angle of the shot you are taking the end of the camera can rotate to rotate your video. A the end of the day it's all personal preference

#32 ·
JHazzard,

What sort of life would I get on the gp3b out of the battery with the battery pack added please?

Not sure if it makes a difference but most of the time I wont have it set to record continuesly but stop and start the recording when I hit a trail or use the playback record feature.

My normal ride might be for say 6 hrs, but would probably only want to shoot in total 1 hr with some still images.

Cheers

#35 ·
JHazzard,

What sort of life would I get on the gp3b out of the battery with the battery pack added please?

Not sure if it makes a difference but most of the time I wont have it set to record continuesly but stop and start the recording when I hit a trail or use the playback record feature.

My normal ride might be for say 6 hrs, but would probably only want to shoot in total 1 hr with some still images.

Cheers
Like Aedubber noted, you're probably a bit over thinking the battery.

For any camera you choose, if you can afford it I'd say get one extra battery go out and have fun. If not, still get which ever camera and see what happens.

If this is your first POV camera, you might just go through 2 batteries just because you're getting used to whole pov thing. I'd bet that after while, you'll bet less "trigger happy" and choose your shots more wisely, and may never even need the 2nd. :thumbsup:

#34 ·
Just to throw something else into the mix...

POV HD Digital Helmet Cameras :: V.I.O.

I have an older one(red camera head).
I use it two ways...

1. I put the actual recorder unit inside a tennis ball can, snake the cable out through the lid, stick the can in a water bottle holder, velcro strap the cord on my bike frame and mount the camera head where I want.

2. place the recorder unit in my waterbackpack and attach the camera head to my helmet.

I have the remote, which I can mount on my handlebars.

I also have an older Contour, have toyed around with a friend's older GoPro.

Just thought I'd throw out another option, but these are running around $500 new, so I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.

As for the quality of the vid and sound... I think it's comparable to the other leading cams out there.

I got mine off another local mtb'er, so I got a really good deal. Maybe you can find a used one for cheap also?

#36 · (Edited)
For what it's worth, Amazon has the Contour+ 2 going for $294 right now, if that factors into your decision making process.

[edit]Looks like it was a flash deal; it's back up to near retail. This is the second time they've had this price, so if you're looking at the +2, keep a eye on it for these "flash" deals.

#37 ·
For what it's also worth, the GoPro has a "one button" mode that's really convenient for making sure you're shooting and that you're not wasting a bunch of battery on standby. You set the default launch mode (i.e. video, still, burst, lapse) and when you turn it on, it starts recording in that mode.

It's really easy to set once you play with the menu a bit. You can set the "beep" volume to 0%, 70% and 100% depending on your needs. I had it at 70% on my snowboard helmet and it was plenty loud to let me know what it was doing. And the ON vs. OFF beep patterns are very distinctive, so you're sure what it's doing.

I have a Hero2 without the latest firmware. No experience with the other cams.

Enable One Button Mode: GoPro Tips & Tricks - YouTube

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.