Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by McBen View Post
    I think Go Pro Black Edition is better
    Any reason for that, or???
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    May 2010
    There is a company named contour that has a camera that seems pretty good. Our Yamaha rep was showing us the newest version which looks intriguing. Has a laser for leveling the picture out on the go and connects and can watch as you record. Haven't tried it though. We are selling them for 400 they are suppose to compete with the new go pro black edition

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddin22 View Post
    There is a company named contour that has a camera that seems pretty good. Our Yamaha rep was showing us the newest version which looks intriguing. Has a laser for leveling the picture out on the go and connects and can watch as you record. Haven't tried it though. We are selling them for 400 they are suppose to compete with the new go pro black edition
    Contour has been discussed in this thread already.

GoPro 3 specs outlcass the Contour (IMO). 1080 @ 60fps, 12mpx still images, 4k capability... It does everything the Contour does, plus more but at the same pricepoint.

The only real difference in form factor, which can be a real deal breaker for some, and I understand; I don't mind the square shaped GoPro, but others feel the Contour is an easier cam to mount. But spec-wise, I don't see how the Contour can compete with the GoPro.

My 2cents (again) anyhow..
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Here is a pic to show how small the gp3 is. I like mine but don't have enough technical knowledge to know any better. Good luck

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Go pro has already been discussed as well, I was just stating my opinion and what our rep was telling us and showing us at the dealer I work at.

contour you can adjust the angle of the shot you are taking the end of the camera can rotate to rotate your video. A the end of the day it's all personal preference

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    JHazzard,

What sort of life would I get on the gp3b out of the battery with the battery pack added please?

Not sure if it makes a difference but most of the time I wont have it set to record continuesly but stop and start the recording when I hit a trail or use the playback record feature.

My normal ride might be for say 6 hrs, but would probably only want to shoot in total 1 hr with some still images.

Cheers

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    JHazzard,

What sort of life would I get on the gp3b out of the battery with the battery pack added please?

Not sure if it makes a difference but most of the time I wont have it set to record continuesly but stop and start the recording when I hit a trail or use the playback record feature.

My normal ride might be for say 6 hrs, but would probably only want to shoot in total 1 hr with some still images.

Cheers
    It depends in what format your shooting your video in . I think your over thinking this whole batter life thing , i was also like that as well .. I had a total of 3 batteries with me at all times and i never once used them all up EVER... If your not recording your whole ride you wont be wasting battery life , best bet is to buy just a spare battery .. You will need a spare with any other camera you decide to get anyways unless you can show me what camera can shoot for 6 hours straight .

mtbr member
    Just to throw something else into the mix...

POV HD Digital Helmet Cameras :: V.I.O.

I have an older one(red camera head).
    I use it two ways...

1. I put the actual recorder unit inside a tennis ball can, snake the cable out through the lid, stick the can in a water bottle holder, velcro strap the cord on my bike frame and mount the camera head where I want.

2. place the recorder unit in my waterbackpack and attach the camera head to my helmet.

I have the remote, which I can mount on my handlebars.

I also have an older Contour, have toyed around with a friend's older GoPro.

Just thought I'd throw out another option, but these are running around $500 new, so I'm not sure it's what you're looking for.

As for the quality of the vid and sound... I think it's comparable to the other leading cams out there.

I got mine off another local mtb'er, so I got a really good deal. Maybe you can find a used one for cheap also?

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    JHazzard,

Cheers
    Like Aedubber noted, you're probably a bit over thinking the battery.

For any camera you choose, if you can afford it I'd say get one extra battery go out and have fun. If not, still get which ever camera and see what happens.

If this is your first POV camera, you might just go through 2 batteries just because you're getting used to whole pov thing. I'd bet that after while, you'll bet less "trigger happy" and choose your shots more wisely, and may never even need the 2nd.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, Amazon has the Contour+ 2 going for $294 right now, if that factors into your decision making process.

[edit]Looks like it was a flash deal; it's back up to near retail. This is the second time they've had this price, so if you're looking at the +2, keep a eye on it for these "flash" deals.
    Last edited by skiahh; 12-30-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    For what it's also worth, the GoPro has a "one button" mode that's really convenient for making sure you're shooting and that you're not wasting a bunch of battery on standby. You set the default launch mode (i.e. video, still, burst, lapse) and when you turn it on, it starts recording in that mode.

It's really easy to set once you play with the menu a bit. You can set the "beep" volume to 0%, 70% and 100% depending on your needs. I had it at 70% on my snowboard helmet and it was plenty loud to let me know what it was doing. And the ON vs. OFF beep patterns are very distinctive, so you're sure what it's doing.

I have a Hero2 without the latest firmware. No experience with the other cams.

Enable One Button Mode: GoPro Tips & Tricks - YouTube
    Looking for the person who tapped and pinned a set of Shimano A530 pedals - can't find the thread! Shoot me a PM. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Guys, many thanks for all replies. All very helpful.

Point re battery noted

Very nearly there on a decision. I will let you know how it went with some video's very soon.

All the best to everyone for the New Year.l

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Personally, I'd probably go with the Drift, The GoPro does have a slightly better image and all, but it's form factor makes it much harder to mount in places. I do think the Chesty mount is about the best single spot... but even then a vid with 10 mins of just chest mounted shot gets boring fast. Also unless you plan on taking home and plugging into a TV to watch, the quality really isn't going to show. If (like the rest of us) you are just uploading to Youtube and Vimeo honestly 720 is all you need as the 1080 doesn't show any real improvement in quality after the websites add compression.

I do like the Slow motion as some one mentioned above, but again,.. unless you have software and hardware to take advantage, not worth the cost as you'll probably not be able to use it.
    Honestly If I were going thru it all again, I'd buy 2-3 cheaper models over one fancy one.. that way you can have the vid switching views with edits, but not have to stop the ride every few mins to move the cam
    after using a few diff ones of my own and friends the 2 basic things I've learned...
    rotation lens... Important!! allows for odd mount locations
    slim line profile,..Important!! allows for odd mont locations also...

seriously,.. another option that I'd recommend, get cheaper versions of either/both,.. play with them and decide which unit/body style you like better then sell (or keep for multi view recording ) then after playing go get the better model of the one you like...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Personally, I'd probably go with the Drift, The GoPro does have a slightly better image and all, but it's form factor makes it much harder to mount in places. I do think the Chesty mount is about the best single spot... but even then a vid with 10 mins of just chest mounted shot gets boring fast. Also unless you plan on taking home and plugging into a TV to watch, the quality really isn't going to show. If (like the rest of us) you are just uploading to Youtube and Vimeo honestly 720 is all you need as the 1080 doesn't show any real improvement in quality after the websites add compression.

I do like the Slow motion as some one mentioned above, but again,.. unless you have software and hardware to take advantage, not worth the cost as you'll probably not be able to use it.
    Honestly If I were going thru it all again, I'd buy 2-3 cheaper models over one fancy one.. that way you can have the vid switching views with edits, but not have to stop the ride every few mins to move the cam
    after using a few diff ones of my own and friends the 2 basic things I've learned...
    rotation lens... Important!! allows for odd mount locations
    slim line profile,..Important!! allows for odd mont locations also...

seriously,.. another option that I'd recommend, get cheaper versions of either/both,.. play with them and decide which unit/body style you like better then sell (or keep for multi view recording ) then after playing go get the better model of the one you like...
    Good points.

1080 vs. 720 - I think that's debatable. I think it's more in the actual rendering/processing of the final video edit that has much more to do with final quality. I see very professional looking results on youtube, and very bad examples from GoPro/Pov cams.

Regardless of odd mount locations, the best videos seem to those that have good balance of on/off the bike, with other unique vantage points included.

Multiple cams is a great suggestion.

(keen website, btw!)
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So did you make a decision?

I'm thinking about getting a Ghost at the moment... Already have the HD and taken lots of hours of video which I'm most satisfied with, everything from sunshine/bluebird days of skiing to night time riding in the forest, all is pretty decent. I often mix it with addtional Video I take with a Nikon Coolpix 9200 camera to give different perspectives.

On trips where we have multiple cameras, and makes, I am often amazed by how folk are often not impressed with the results from their GoPro's and are surprised that the Drift's video is so different. This might be that they have not experimented enough with their cameras settings, but are there really that many options on most of them?

Colour balance, light balance, focus, reactions to changing lighting conditions seems to be good on the HD, (with latest firmware updates), and I expect the Ghost to be similar of better. The ability to rotate the lense is essential I find. Drift mounts are ok, but a simple adapter makes all the Go Pro mounts usable, and there are lots of them out there.

Two aspects that interest me on the new ghost are are the Tag loop abilty, and the promised option of the ability to take stills concurrently with Video. These I need to explore. The video tagging seems a great way to avoid endless hours of tedious video, and you only store what was interesting... Ability to shoot stills concurrent with Video, 11MP, seems really interesting.

Anone got a ghost yet and like to post their impressions??

Cheers

David

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Still havent pulled the trigger on one yet, unexpected bills have put a hold on things for the moment but will be getting one sooner rather than later.
    Still not 100% - it's very close and changes by the day.
    At the moment the GPBlack is winning as it has all the features of the Ghost and obviously higher spec which I'm thinking will future proof me a bit. I also think the better slow mo of the GP might come in handy.

Although as said above the Drift has advantages, form factor and rotation the big ones.

It really is a toss of a coin at the moment for me but as above the GP is winning because of the ability to give me a few more options if needed in the future.

The suggestion of getting a few cheaper models is a great idea.

Will update this thread when I've finally got one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Chest mount. Despite the rather unpopular square form factor on the gopro, it's the best for chest mount views, which imo, are the most accurate/real.

1080 @ 60fps. This allows for shooting a larger frame, so I can zoom in while post processing with no quality loss, it essentially gives you extra video real estate if you produce/edit in 720.
    I'd agree; the chest mount options is really only viable with the GoPro form factor. I'm not a fan of chesty videos, though, because of the ET like arms the wide FOV causes. But that's mostly just me.

I get that 1080 will have a larger frame, but if I'm reading stuff right, you also have the option to have a full 170 degree field of view ("Ultrawide") at 1080p? That's a nice feature. The Contour goes down to 135 degrees at 1080p.

I'm assuming Ultrawide is 170; I can't find the numbers anywhere. It looks like all modes do UW and 720 can do narrow, too.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just bought a Ghost. The primary selling feature for me was the:
    Drift FlashbackTM Video Tag/Loop Action sports enthusiasts can save a recorded event up to five minutes after it happens while in Video Tag/Loop mode, which records footage in a continuous loop style. The video clip is stored in the camera’s memory, and will save the clip only if the user chooses to “tag” it

This would give you the ability to save a shorter video of say 30 seconds or 5 minutes and not have to edit hours worth of video just get to a shot of the guy doing an endo in front you or the jack ass in the car almost killing you.

My ADD keeps me from watching any videos longer then 2 minutes anyway.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I just bought a Ghost. The primary selling feature for me was the:
    Drift FlashbackTM Video Tag/Loop Action sports enthusiasts can save a recorded event up to five minutes after it happens while in Video Tag/Loop mode, which records footage in a continuous loop style. The video clip is stored in the camera’s memory, and will save the clip only if the user chooses to “tag” it

This would give you the ability to save a shorter video of say 30 seconds or 5 minutes and not have to edit hours worth of video just get to a shot of the guy doing an endo in front you or the jack ass in the car almost killing you.

My ADD keeps me from watching any videos longer then 2 minutes anyway.
    The Hero 3 Black offers that option as well, from the manual:

Looping Video options inlcude:

OFF (Default)
    Max video Camera records until memory card is full, then overwrites with a
    new video.
    5 min video
    Camera records for 5 minutes, then begins a new video,
    progressively overwriting the previous 5 minute video.

20 min video

Camera records for 20 minutes, then begins a new video,
    progressively overwriting the previous 20 minute video.

60 min video

Camera records for 60 minutes, then begins a new video,
    progressively overwriting the previous 60 minute video.

Post back with how the Ghost works out, seems like a keen camera...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    The Hero 3 Black offers that option as well, from the manual:

Looping Video options inlcude:

OFF (Default)
    Max video Camera records until memory card is full, then overwrites with a
    new video.
    5 min video
    Camera records for 5 minutes, then begins a new video,
    progressively overwriting the previous 5 minute video.

20 min video

Camera records for 20 minutes, then begins a new video,
    progressively overwriting the previous 20 minute video.

60 min video

Camera records for 60 minutes, then begins a new video,
    progressively overwriting the previous 60 minute video.

Post back with how the Ghost works out, seems like a keen camera...
    the way this reads... i don't believe this is exactly the same feature that the Drift HD Ghost has. on the drift you have the ability to choose which loops you want to keep during your activities. the GP Black looks like it just records in a loop and then records over it again and again. that's not the same feature at all. and if this is indeed the case, then it's a far inferior option to the Ghost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Went to look at the Ghost today. I like some features, but others are not quite as I understood the advertising.

There is an ability to take photos concurrently whilst recording video, but this is a screen grab, so a relatively low resolution picture... 1920*1080. Not quite the same as grabbing a 11MP shot. So camera function whilst recording video it not a bonus.

The differing wide angle aspects are very interesting. 170, 120 and 90 degrees, will allow some variation form the ultra wide angle overdose we're suffering from.

Battery is different from the old 170 long life battery, and different pins from the HD battery, so its another battery charger if you want to charge batteries without the camera.

The remote is larger than the drift HD, not quite usable on your wrist anymore... I like the lights on it indicateing whats happening on the camera, but its another internal battery that needs charging. Apparently its got a life of ~ 8 hours, but..... Comunication between remote and camera is now WiFi

The tag loop option is great. I can see myself buying this camera simply to avoid hours of tedious video.. (Over christmas, coming in from 6 hours of skiing, I was sometimes glad the Drifts batteries had died on the slopes..).

Android app still not available, and not being an apple fan, couldn't test this feature.

Cheers

David

mtbr member
    Just ordered a Drift Ghost.
    In theory (from what i´ve read and saw), seems the most balanced camera. In a few days i´ll let you know the realistic/practical opinion.

mtbr member

GoPro Black or Drift Ghost HD?

Starting the Drift Ghost analysis, first negative point is the abscense of at least one mount for a MTB bike.
    In a few days i'll post more.

mtbr member
    First ride with my Ghost
    I used the curved fixation on my helmet - waiting for the new shoulder mount, it wasn´t easy because of the weight, but all went right.
    The camera is very, very good; easy to operate with the remote, fantastic image quality, good sound capture.
    I´m very happy with the Ghost.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast