North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

GoPro battery run times

I am getting about 10 mins of battery life out of Duracell NiMH rechargables with a GoPro Hero wide. This is test filming indoors.

The camera will stop recording after about 10mins and the red LED stops blinking. I test the batteries and it shows about 65% of life.

How much battery life are you all getting? from NiMH at say normal ambient temps.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    IIRC, I am getting close to 2 hours. At least 1 1/2.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i found that with duracell battereies too. I have switched to recharage sanyo eneloops and they function for as long as a 2gb card can handle

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    wow - well I've tried four different sets of batteries from different packaging - but all Duracells. Clearly I've got an issue with the unit.

Thanks

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Issue was entirely with myself and not with the unit. GoPro support is very timely.

Summary - I deleted data from the SD Card and didn't empty the recycle bin. The fix is to either empty the recycle bin or to re-format the SD Card after each use.

From GoPro

Sometimes mystery data can be taking up space on the SD cards while still registering 0 files, so please check under properties (PC) or disk utilities (mac) to see how much memory is available. If there is not enough available memory, you will need to reformat the card in order to free up the space.

If you are using a Mac to download and delete files, make sure you delete the files from the memory card AND the trash can before you disconnect the camera from the computer. If you do not do a complete delete, then the card will show 0' files but the space will not actually be cleared. Again, you will need to reformat the card if it was not fully cleared.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Glad to hear you got it fixed.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    Issue was entirely with myself and not with the unit.
    I still think it must be those Canuck batteries.

Mulleticious

Energizer Lithium

I am getting about 10 mins of battery life out of Duracell NiMH rechargables with a GoPro Hero wide. This is test filming indoors.

The camera will stop recording after about 10mins and the red LED stops blinking. I test the batteries and it shows about 65% of life.

How much battery life are you all getting? from NiMH at say normal ambient temps.
    I'm using Energizer Ultimate Lithium - quite expensive, and not rechargeable, but get this: I haven't changed them yet. I don't know how long I've been filming for, but I have 37 edited videos up on YouTube, of say, on average 4 mins each - that's two and a half hours after they've been edited! These are seriously good batteries.

Tool
    Issue was entirely with myself and not with the unit. GoPro support is very timely.

Summary - I deleted data from the SD Card and didn't empty the recycle bin. The fix is to either empty the recycle bin or to re-format the SD Card after each use.
    You didn't say explicitly, but if I'm interpreting correctly, you weren't running out of battery power. You were running out of space to record, and therefore the camera was shutting down. Is that correct?

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile
    You didn't say explicitly, but if I'm interpreting correctly, you weren't running out of battery power. You were running out of space to record, and therefore the camera was shutting down. Is that correct?

-Pete
    Exactly. I thought I had plenty of space but was wrong

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So, I'm throwing out the newb question because I'm not totally sure I'm clear, batteries on the Go Pro can last up to 2 hours of filming and how much video can you put on a 2gb card?

Ideally, I'm looking to film at least 1hour straight, but 2 would be downright awesome!

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

battery/charger question

like 88rex, I'm a newb with this camera as well.

I've done some reading/researching on the web, and some GoPro users point out their battery life depends on which batteries they are using, as well as what charger they are being recharged on.....

.....sooooooo, does anyone recommend a certain battery, with a certain charger?

I'm currently using an Adventure Cam 3, with a 120* FOV, I like the idea of the versitility of the GoPro being wireless, that I can hand it off to a friend and have him/her wear it so I finally get on tape!!

thanks for any insight/input you can give to make the transition easier,
    -tep

Mulleticious
    As I have said earlier, you can't go wrong with Energizer Ultimate Lithium. The manufacturers recommend this battery. It works in sub-zero temperatures (the other types don't) and it takes bumps (rechargeables don't - I have proved this to myself). Energizer Lithiums will last at least 3 hours (mine have not run down yet) and probably more. They're not that expensive if you buy them online from a discount place - I paid 7 for a pack of 4 including postage.

By the way my GoPro came with a free 4GB card - so technically I think I can shoot for 4 hours continuously - although I have not tried this yet!

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    spencerfrater1 thanks for the info. I'll give those a try. I haven't seen anybody with that amount of run time with non rechargeable batteries.

Just wondering if I don't get that type of run time, does anyone have a recommendation for rechargeable batteries and a charger??

Mulleticious
    I know this run-time sounds too good to be true - I can hardly believe it myself.

This may help - the rechargeables I tried were Ni-MH. Bizarrely, when the trail became bumpy the GoPro would switch off by itself.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I've now run Energizer NiMH for 2 hrs 20 minutes before they shut down. The 2GB SD card gave me 54 minutes of recording. I use a Tenergy "smart" charger