Thread: GoPro aiming

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

GoPro aiming

how do you guys get the camera's angled up right so it shoots at the right angle?

here is my vid from this saturday and it's to far down even though i thought i had it lined up perfectly. i want to get a chest mount but i just don't know how well it'll capture everything from when i'm sitting down to standing up to hiking around. i don't want to adjust all the time.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGgxL5R_fzk

thanks.
    Last edited by King Luis; 07-18-2011 at 07:59 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the bac pac...it works great for lining up angles....If you dont want to spend money I guess you could run test vids before getting on the trail

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
    how do you guys get the camera's angled up right so it shoots at the right angle?

thanks.
    99% of people will have their camera pointing too low the first time they use it, so don't feel bad. It doesn't take long to getting used to setting it up and getting the right angle just by feel.

With the GoPro camera (and pretty much all the brands) the rule of thumb I use is this: set the camera up so that it is level with your helmet on and standing looking straight forward. To have it at the right angle for when you are riding, tilt it back about 20 degrees for XC riding and about 30 degrees for DH. Holding your helmet in your hand it will look like it is pointing way too high, but once you start riding you will find you tilt your head forward and it's in the right spot.

Make sure the camera is in one of the wider shooting modes, that will also help. I mainly use r2 mode but you can also try r3 and r4 (which works particularly well with the chest harness).

As mentioned before, you could also get the GoPro LCD Bacpac if you want to check your footage out trailside.

Using the LCD Bacpac will make it a bit easier
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams
    We'll beat any online price for mtbr.com members!

mtbr member
    Put it on and do a slow ride by a friend. If you're in your normal riding position, they can eyeball to see if it is pointing relatively straight ahead. This has worked for me and for several of my friends.

I have had problems getting the chest mount to point forward enough as it is limited in how far back it will tilt before bumping into the chest plate. I downloaded the firmware update so I could run it upside down and this fixes this issue. Unfortunately, since the update, I have new problems that I am checking on with GoPro. Hopefully they will be able to suggest a fix.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    thanks guys, i'll be asking my brother who rides with me to check it out. and i'll be tilting it back a lot more.

went to bestbuy the other day looking for the chest mount but they were sold out.

mtbr member
    170 degree wide angle so as long as you can get it close you are most likely going to get what you want in the picture. Once you think its too high you probably have it right.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by King Luis View Post
    went to bestbuy the other day looking for the chest mount but they were sold out.
    We've got the GoPro Chest Harness in stock and we're cheaper than best buy
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams
    We'll beat any online price for mtbr.com members!