2006 Yeti AS-X

GoPro Addiction Syndrome (GAS).

Already an owner of a GoPro Hero HD, Hero2, and Hero 3 Black, I just plunged for a Hero 3+ Silver this morning. Couldn't resist the temptation any longer....

I have to finally put the foot down and say 4 GoPro's are enough already.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods

GoPro Addiction Syndrome (GAS).

That's frightening since you've now spent enough to buy at least one new bike. I'd love one but just can't justify the cost. Yes, you are addicted.

mtbr member
    I havent taken the plunge yet myself... I am sure I will sometime soon.

having 4 gopro's begs the questions... What is your favorite video that you recorded? Do you have a link to it?

banned
    Nov 2013
    What prompted you to downgrade (video quality) from the GP3B to the GP3+S?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by xycarp View Post
    I havent taken the plunge yet myself... I am sure I will sometime soon.

having 4 gopro's begs the questions... What is your favorite video that you recorded? Do you have a link to it?
    This is one of my favorites - recently filmed at Crested Butte Colorado back in Sept. 2013. I only had 3 GoPro's at the time.

The Hero 3 Black was used for the Chesty Mount.
    Hero 2 on the Front Fork.
    Hero HD on the Rear.

Subsequently tightened the chest harness a few days ago as didn't realize how shaky it was until I got back from the trip and started editing the videos so the chesty portion may have some shakiness in it.

I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Masked Avenger View Post
    What prompted you to downgrade (video quality) from the GP3B to the GP3+S?
    I was originally going to buy the GP3 White for my 4th one but wanted to take advantage of the 3+ Silver's enhancements (battery life and video modes) so went that route. Didn't want to spend the extra $100 for the 3+ Black as I already got the 3 Black and didn't want to spend that much extra - I used that difference to get a 64gb memory card and a battery bacpac - with the Hero 3 it really helps to have one of these to get it close to what you get with the Hero HD and Hero 2 battery life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    This is one of my favorites - recently filmed at Crested Butte Colorado back in Sept. 2013. I only had 3 GoPro's at the time.

The Hero 3 Black was used for the Chesty Mount.
    Hero 2 on the Front Fork.
    Hero HD on the Rear.

Subsequently tightened the chest harness a few days ago as didn't realize how shaky it was until I got back from the trip and started editing the videos so the chesty portion may have some shakiness in it.

Wow, great ride... talk about the perfect day on a nice flowy trail. With 2,500 feet drop and that wide open feel... I bet you got cooking fast!

Thanks for sharing.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Picture of my camera gear I use to film my videos.

mtbr member
    Any other good POV rolling videos?... Something that might be decent to watch while training?

I need to get one of these cameras to record my own training videos.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    dude.. so over kill!! LOOLOLOL I like the chest mount view... but honestly I find Contour, Drift maybe a sony and the new Garmins have a smaller profile for more flexibility in mounting locations... Should sell off two GoPros and keep 2.. get two narrow profile cams and get even more flicks I've got 2 contours now which is enough LOL thou I'm thinking of selling the HD1080 and getting a goPro or similar to get he chest mount!!

that is a good vid, would be awesome if the chesty was tight.. Oh well.. reason to go ride the trail again
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by xycarp View Post
    Any other good POV rolling videos?... Something that might be decent to watch while training?

I need to get one of these cameras to record my own training videos.

Here are a few:

The Ribbon - Lunch Loops - Grand Junction, Colorado

Miner's Rock - Lake Leatherwood - Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Steve's Loop - Kokepelli / Mary's Loop System - Loma, Colorado

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    dude.. so over kill!! LOOLOLOL I like the chest mount view... but honestly I find Contour, Drift maybe a sony and the new Garmins have a smaller profile for more flexibility in mounting locations... Should sell off two GoPros and keep 2.. get two narrow profile cams and get even more flicks I've got 2 contours now which is enough LOL thou I'm thinking of selling the HD1080 and getting a goPro or similar to get he chest mount!!

that is a good vid, would be awesome if the chesty was tight.. Oh well.. reason to go ride the trail again
    I almost bought a Contour the day they announced they stopped production - went to Best Buy and they had already sold out. I am stopping at 4 though - and selling them would be rough decision - The Hero HD and Hero 2 are still great cameras to use - 720p @ 60 fps can be shot with all of them - even can shoot in 1080p if I wanted to with all of them.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I almost bought a Contour the day they announced they stopped production - went to Best Buy and they had already sold out. I am stopping at 4 though - and selling them would be rough decision - The Hero HD and Hero 2 are still great cameras to use - 720p @ 60 fps can be shot with all of them - even can shoot in 1080p if I wanted to with all of them.
    ya, the contours all can shot in 720@60 and 1080p.. and right now the roam 2's are all over the net at under $150 and I've seen them time to time at around $100 (Reason I just got my 2nd back at thanksgiving) Like I said, the Gopro's are nice and all, but the mounting is soooo much easier with contour's in tight locations (pretty much anywhere on the frame). I'd probably dump the Hero HD and get a Roam2 off Ebay .. just saying.. not that it's an issue as you always seem to get decent shots anyway just would give ya a bit more options to mount without whacking with your knees

(PS ...Contour is back, though just on the web and Facebook but I believe they pan on being back in production by end of this new yr.?)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya, the contours all can shot in 720@60 and 1080p.. and right now the roam 2's are all over the net at under $150 and I've seen them time to time at around $100 (Reason I just got my 2nd back at thanksgiving) Like I said, the Gopro's are nice and all, but the mounting is soooo much easier with contour's in tight locations (pretty much anywhere on the frame). I'd probably dump the Hero HD and get a Roam2 off Ebay .. just saying.. not that it's an issue as you always seem to get decent shots anyway just would give ya a bit more options to mount without whacking with your knees

(PS ...Contour is back, though just on the web and Facebook but I believe they pan on being back in production by end of this new yr.?)
    If I get a new camera the Hero HD will be the one to get sold. Be nice to see what Contour comes back with if/when they do get new products to market and I agree that while GoPro's have a wide array of mounting options, I have never been the largest fan of how they mount (screw on bottom of camera) because seems like no matter how hard you tighten the bolt, the thing still sometimes seems to rotate on you - then sometimes a pain to take the bolt off when you want to remove the camera.

banned
    Nov 2013
    seems like no matter how hard you tighten the bolt, the thing still sometimes seems to rotate on you - then sometimes a pain to take the bolt off when you want to remove the camera.
    This has never been an issue for me while using the GoPro in a wide variety of mounting situations (riding, skiing, motorsports, watersports, aerial capture, etc.).

One of these can be helpful if you can't get it tight enough and/or it's a pain to get the bolt off (they are also a standard feature of many cycling mini tools):

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Decided to conduct my own battery life test on the GoPro's.

On paper, the Hero 3 Black isn't far off the Hero 2's battery performance and the Hero 3+ Silver obviously showcases the improvements GoPro made to the 3+ series in battery life.

The battery bacpac only netted about one extra hour of life on the Hero 3 Black but nets you an additional 2 hours on the 3+ Silver.

In real life field recording, the battery life obviously will be less for all the cameras due to the constant on and off, starting and stopping of the recording and how long you leave the camera on between recordings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    That's frightening since you've now spent enough to buy at least one new bike. I'd love one but just can't justify the cost. Yes, you are addicted.
    I do not think addicted is correct. If you are going to make videos, it must have many camera angles. So, if you can get 3 camera angles, that to me is just great to be able to change things up.
    What makes many videos, including my personal stuff suck, is a mono camera position with a couple token stationary drive by shots.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by 1362 View Post
    I do not think addicted is correct. If you are going to make videos, it must have many camera angles. So, if you can get 3 camera angles, that to me is just great to be able to change things up.
    What makes many videos, including my personal stuff suck, is a mono camera position with a couple token stationary drive by shots.
    The nice thing about having multiple cameras is you can get more perspectives in one run versus having to do several runs for the same footage. In addition, it makes it so much easier stacking the videos in the editor knowing that at x minutes, all the threads are at the same place as long as you line up the start time of the threads.

mtbr member
    Cool video but for a relatively smooth trail there's a lot of camera bob for the chest mount. Are there any modes on the gopro to bring the camera bob down a bit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by iWiLRiDe View Post
    Cool video but for a relatively smooth trail there's a lot of camera bob for the chest mount. Are there any modes on the gopro to bring the camera bob down a bit?
    No, its pretty much up to the mounting system.
    You can run higher frame rate, that will help cut down on jello effect, but wont do anything about vibration and bobbing.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by iWiLRiDe View Post
    A lot of the bobbing in the video was due to the chest harness being too loose. Tightening up the harness would have took alot of the bobbing out - I tightened it up pretty good a few weeks ago which will help. I wish I would have thought about that when I was on vacation -