mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Gopro 960p in Vegas - What format to render in?

I have recently started to use Vegas so that I could add in text and cross fading effects to my gopro videos.

However, I have yet to find a rendering format that does not result in a notable loss on video quality. The rendered video quality still acceptable but couple that with the compression done by youtube it would look horrible when viewed on the web.

Prior to using Vegas I just using simple clipping software to crop my gopro videos and since no actual editing/rendering were involved the clips would retain their original quality and would still look decent after compression by youtube.

Are there any suggestions on the format that I should use that would retain its original quality better?

Please note that I mainly film in 960p and not all rendering format will allow custom setting of video resolution to 960p (none of the preset rendering format in Vegas are in 960p by default).

mtbr member
    What a good question! I know next to nothing about video formats but here's what I use

Camera is a Gopro 960p just as yours
    I use Vegas HD9.0 and these settings

Format: MainConcept MPEG-2 (*.mpg;*.m2v;*.m2t;*.mpa)
    Template: HDV 720-25p
    Description:
    Audio: 384 Kbps; 48.000 Hz; Layer 2
    Video: 25 fps; 1280x720
    Use this setting to create an HDV 720-25p MPEG-2 file with .m2t extension.

I have absolutely no clue whether this is the best settings .. no clue

Cheers,
    Kasper

Examples using the settings above:
    Vallåsen - Indian summer - Oktober 2011 - YouTube
    MTB eksperten 2011 - YouTube
    Schladming Downhill 2011 - YouTube

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by mgv101 View Post
    I have recently started to use Vegas so that I could add in text and cross fading effects to my gopro videos.

However, I have yet to find a rendering format that does not result in a notable loss on video quality. The rendered video quality still acceptable but couple that with the compression done by youtube it would look horrible when viewed on the web.

Prior to using Vegas I just using simple clipping software to crop my gopro videos and since no actual editing/rendering were involved the clips would retain their original quality and would still look decent after compression by youtube.

Are there any suggestions on the format that I should use that would retain its original quality better?

Please note that I mainly film in 960p and not all rendering format will allow custom setting of video resolution to 960p (none of the preset rendering format in Vegas are in 960p by default).

Here's how I have my Vegas set up - for go pro and video from my slr. These settings seem to work well for Vimeo, YouTube, Pinkbike... and my computer.

First, click on your project settings:

Here's the settings, make sure you use "best" in the drop down, and leave "Adjust Source Media to...." unchecked

When you go to render your video, here's the settings:

Be sure to check the custom settings button too, and those settings should look like this:

The audio tab should be fine, but check the project tab, and make sure you have "best" selected:

That should get you pretty good quality... Of course, substitute your 960 resolution settings for the ones that are 1280x720 -- Sorry for all the images, but sometimes it's better to see the settings in place, it can get goofy trying to describe them.

Hope that helps!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wow!!
    Thank you for such a detailed reply jhazard and taking your time making all the screen shots.

The images helped tremendously. A picture is worth a thousand words!!

Airborne Flight Crew
    No problem, it's cool to help when I can... Usually I'm the one trying learn stuff Good luck!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website