Thread: Go Pro Roam2

mtbr member

Go Pro Roam2

Which would you buy and why? Go Pro Hero3 Silver or the Contour Roam2. Just getting into the pov camera thing and see alot of go pros but the video stabalization option on the Roam2 looks pretty nice. I can get the Roam2 for less than the Go Pro but its not issue that would stop me from buying the Go Pro. From what I've seen the pic quality of the Roam2 is a little better than the Go Pro. Please help.

mtbr member
    I've had the GoPro Hero 3 and the Contour Roam 2. For a first time user, the Roam2 is much more user friendly. Its a matter of sliding the switch and you know you're recording without a second thought. Quality-wise, the Gopro has more vivid color. Another reason I would go with the GoPro is for the chest mount. the Contour can't be mounted on the chest without a special rig and even then, it looks odd and borderline dangerous if you crash. For sports like snowboarding, the Contour works great with the shoulder harness. Rather than going with one or the other, I currently use a Liquid Image EGO which, for the most part, has been awesome. It gives you the wifi capability that you'd have to pay extra on a GoPro. The LIC gives me nice vibrant color and great 1080p quality. My only complaint is the autofocus issue and it tends to get a fisheye effect. You can get an LIC EGO for $120.00 on Ebay. Its a solid little camera.

This was shot using the EGO. Wish I could of gotten the video from the other two riders I was with (brother and best friend). My brother used a Contour Roam2 and my friend used his GoPro Hero 3.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    I've had the GoPro Hero 3 and the Contour Roam 2. For a first time user, the Roam2 is much more user friendly. Its a matter of sliding the switch and you know you're recording without a second thought. Quality-wise, the Gopro has more vivid color. Another reason I would go with the GoPro is for the chest mount. the Contour can't be mounted on the chest without a special rig and even then, it looks odd and borderline dangerous if you crash. For sports like snowboarding, the Contour works great with the shoulder harness. Rather than going with one or the other, I currently use a Liquid Image EGO which, for the most part, has been awesome. It gives you the wifi capability that you'd have to pay extra on a GoPro. The LIC gives me nice vibrant color and great 1080p quality. My only complaint is the autofocus issue and it tends to get a fisheye effect. You can get an LIC EGO for $120.00 on Ebay. Its a solid little camera.

This was shot using the EGO. Wish I could of gotten the video from the other two riders I was with (brother and best friend). My brother used a Contour Roam2 and my friend used his GoPro Hero 3.

ya, The goPro is limited on mounting locations.. I do like the chest mount but the Contour I like better as I can mount it in many more locations on the frame that the GoPro would just be in the way of riding.

hey, the LIC looks nice for a budget cam.. what don't you lil about it? seems great for the $$?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya, The goPro is limited on mounting locations.. I do like the chest mount but the Contour I like better as I can mount it in many more locations on the frame that the GoPro would just be in the way of riding.

hey, the LIC looks nice for a budget cam.. what don't you lil about it? seems great for the $$?
    When I originally bought the LIC, I wasn't looking for a budget cam, but one that was more versatile in terms of mounting. The camera has been great thus far and I really don't have any complaints except for the fish eyeing it does when quickly switching views. Its not horrible, but noticeable.

I posted this in the Pets Video post, but you can see in this video how the background distorts a little when I move around.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    ya, that's pretty normal though for a 170 degree view cam.. It's actually pretty damn clear for a cam in that price range.. I might have to think about it as a 2nd.. it does the chest mount like a GoPro right?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya, that's pretty normal though for a 170 degree view cam.. It's actually pretty damn clear for a cam in that price range.. I might have to think about it as a 2nd.. it does the chest mount like a GoPro right?
    It does have a chest mount which cost $39.99, but unlike the GoPro, it doesn't tilt up and down. Its just a harness with a neoprene sleeve to slide the camera in. Works great for fishing, which is exactly what I bought it for, and probably snowboarding. For biking, it tends to point down to the ground unless you ride completely upright, but I'm pretty sure the GoPro chest mount could be used for the LIC since it has a pretty standard hole on the bottom that I've actually mounted to a standard tripod before.

mtbr member
    Personally, I really dislike the chest mount perspective, so that wouldn't be a selling point for me.

Contour has lots more mounting options and flexibility. Image quality goes to GoPro, but not by that much once you've compressed down to youtube-able video, so for that it's a wash. If you're making your own library to show on a 4K screen, GoPro wins, no question.

Contour is much simpler. As mentioned, slide the switch forward to record, slide it back to stop. Pretty much foolproof. It also has laser alignment. That is, press a button and a laser line comes out the front so you can level the image, no matter what angle the camera may be mounted on. Again, pretty much foolproof.

I have 2 Contour ROAMs (both ROAM1s flashed to ROAM2 firmware) and love them. I willingly trade a bit of image quality for the versatility and simplicity of the ROAM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I love my Roam 2 but the lack of vibrancy bugs me. I love the dramatic blue sky and green grass and you just can't get that with the Contour. The GoPro does well in that category for me, but for me, the LIC Ego is kind of the best of both worlds for me. Simplicity and vibrant colors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Used both extensively. Much prefer the GoPro as can adjust the settings without having to use a PC or smart phone.

Loads of gopor stuff here - GoPro | Unsponsored
    http://www.unsponsored.co.uk - Independant Kayak Site. No BS!

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk - Bikepacking