mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Go Pro Mount and Help

Okay.

Well I just impluse purchased a GoPro Black3+ on eBay for $330 all said and done. I see that a memory card is $40 and I still need a mount.

I am more of a beginner when it comes to MTB, but I was curious if there is a good harness (chest or helmet) when it comes to rocky areas?

I have a Hardtail and I will be mostly going in Central Texas which is fairly rocky and I obviously don't want too shaky of video.

And honestly I dont know if I should even keep the camera -.-

Is it worth it in your personal opinion

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    It's fun and worth having.. that being said.. I'd probably get something else.. Gopro's are nice and all, but wicked expensive to get started and have more limited options for mounting. Contour, Garmin VIRB, and Drift make cams that are damn close to GoPro, many come with a memory card and many mooting options. For less $$$$

Now if dead set on the GoPro (and they are nice, don't get me wrong) then the Chest mount will give you the best views.. you mount it upside down just so you know.. most people 1st time around mount it up right and all you get is a picture of the handle bars :roll eyes:

best bet is to play around your yard a bit and check out the images as you go before going out on the trails and end up filming a bunch of stuff you don't want.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

banned
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Gopro's are nice and all, but wicked expensive to get started and have more limited options for mounting.
    This is not true.

Contour, Garmin VIRB, and Drift make cams that are damn close to GoPro, many come with a memory card and many mooting options.
    This is also not true. The other cameras are not close to the current generation of GoPros when it comes to video quality. That's an indisputable fact.

The "more mounting options" bit is once again not true.

the Chest mount will give you the best views.
    This is an opinion that many people disagree with.

If you're going to try and offer decent advice you really should educate yourself.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    comments deleted as the instigator got banned
    Last edited by thomllama; 04-03-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

banned
    Apr 2014
    (though the VIRB is damn close if not better in some ways)
    This is not true and further illustrates your lack of knowledge.

The VIRB's video quality is not anywhere near the same level as the current generation of GoPros. Better? Please provide details (facts, not uneducated opinions please)

you need to learn to educate yourself to realize not everyone is or needs to be a pro.. learn to READ the OP's questions..
    I understand the issues being discussed and also understood that the OP was a "beginner." Your uneducated and inaccurate responses are all the more egregious given his newbie status.

I see that you've edited your post now.

Contours and Drift DO both come with memory cards.. believe the VIRB foes also.. GOPro.. not
    Memory cards are inexpensive. This is a non-issue. You're really reaching by even bringing this up.

Can't mount go pro any where on the frame along the top tube or down tube other than right at the headset as your leg will wack it .. where all the others you can, no seat tube mounting.. no.. well anywhere on the frame really... so you have chest, helmet.. tripod.. oh handle bars.. bla..
    This is not true. Again.

Your lack of experience and knowledge is not helpful to the OP.

Why post his nonsense?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Last edited by thomllama; 04-03-2014 at 01:12 PM.

banned
    Apr 2014
    hmmm please show us all your videos.. trials.. uses of these cameras..? hmmm guessing not happening? anyway..
    Sad. Why are you dodging the questions that would expose your abject lack of knowledge? Hmmmm...

Let's debunk just one of your uneducated claims - video quality.

VIRB, max data rate ~20mbps, max quality 1080 30fps. WB, sharpening, color all processed in-camera. The other cams you described are just as bad if not worse.

GoPro Hero 3 Black, max data rate ~45mbps, max quality 4k/15fps-2.7k/30fps-1080 60fps. RAW WB, flat color profile, no sharpening in-camera.

Given these indisputable facts, why do you imagine that the VIRB is "damn close if not better in some ways"

Furthermore, mounting a Gopro anywhere on a bike (if you're into those amateur video perspectives) is no big deal.

Again, you are not being helpful by posting your inaccurate and uneducated opinions.

Facts = good.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Bacon Wrap View Post
    Sad. Why are you dodging the questions that would expose your abject lack of knowledge? Hmmmm...
    hmmm I'm not dodging.. you are.. show some vids.. no? hmmm ? stop harassing, go away or show some practical use..

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Last edited by thomllama; 04-03-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Last edited by thomllama; 04-03-2014 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Wow way to derail this thread guys. Anyway new to the forum but I have a GoPro hero 3 silver. I have shot a few mtn bike vidoes and found that a chesty mount with the camera upside down or a helmet mount work best. Handle bar mounts are very shaky and the side to side movement makes me dizzy. Only problem with the helmet mount is you don't see any bike in the video.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Regardless of what is said on the forum, the Hero 3+ Black is a great camera (I own a 3+ Silver and absolutely love it). Don't fret over your purchase.

Chest and Helmet mounts have their pro's and con's.

Helmet mounts are less shaky than chest but with helmet mounts you get the horizontal to and fro and you usually don't get the handlebars or any of the bike in the action - all you see is the terrain ahead scrolling. If you put the mount on the side of the helmet, you get the extra bonus of seeing your mug in the video the whole video.

Chest mounts are pretty stable providing your harness is tight and give a nice view of the bike and trail ahead of you providing you have the camera pointed correctly - most users mount the camera upside down and angle the camera at a 45 degree angle to compensate for the lean of riding so you get a straight ahead view with the top of the handlebars and the trail/terrain in front of you. Plus you don't get the horizontal weaving you would on the helmet as everytime you move your head, the camera moves as well - some folks don't like that type of footage.

You can mount a GoPro on alot of places on your person and bike given the imagination and ingenuity of the owner.

Go and shoot some video and enjoy!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

banned
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Helmet mounts are less shaky than chest but with helmet mounts you get the horizontal to and fro
    This is a technique issue. Keeping your head still and reducing yawing is key.

and you usually don't get the handlebars or any of the bike in the action - all you see is the terrain ahead scrolling.
    This is both a technique and a setup issue. By using decent technique and a proper setup you will get the handlebars, wheel, etc. in the action where appropriate.

If you put the mount on the side of the helmet, you get the extra bonus of seeing your mug in the video the whole video.
    This is a setup issue. It's really easy to side-mount a Gopro and not have the helmet/face in the shot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I appreciate the responses.

Another question. Best Buy has the SanDisk Class 10's for sale today only. Should I get a 32 or 64 GB?

32GB is 24.99
    64GB is 49.99

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I have yet to fill a 32 GB.. though I do start-stop the came a lot more cause it helps when viewing/scanning the footage later. but it could happen easy. personally at the price I'd get 2-32's but some people might find it annoying the switch them .

PS,.. (I have heard and seen issues with some electronics wit the SansDisk brand, though I think it was a few years ago and they have fixed it that price might just be the older units..?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have yet to fill a 32 GB.. though I do start-stop the came a lot more cause it helps when viewing/scanning the footage later. but it could happen easy. personally at the price I'd get 2-32's but some people might find it annoying the switch them .

PS,.. (I have heard and seen issues with some electronics wit the SansDisk brand, though I think it was a few years ago and they have fixed it that price might just be the older units..?)
    The ones on the Best Buy site are actually the wrong picture. They are the SanDisk Extreme Plus. So they are the "newer" ones

I'll go pick up a 32GB for starters

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    32 gb is probably all you would need. I have yet to fill one up with recording through 3 batteries worth of filming. As others have stated already, the chesty mount gives you the picture when set up properly. Helmet mount would be the second best option. There are small quirks with the gopro though. The one I get a lot even with the new firmware is that the unit stops recording after just a couple minutes. It does get frustrating when it does act up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Got my Camera today...and through the packing there is this white type thing on the foam which is, I believe, part of the waterproof casing

Picture1
    Picture2

Apparently this is normal comparing to my friends...

But the remote, looking through the case unopened, looks somewhat scuffed....interesting

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I started machining my own mounts to improve video quality over the plastic mounting systems currently offered.

Here's a sample of some Austin trail riding shot at 120 FPS 720
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ3kwXLFafc

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKESNAKE View Post
    I started machining my own mounts to improve video quality over the plastic mounting systems currently offered.

Here's a sample of some Austin trail riding shot at 120 FPS 720
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ3kwXLFafc

#1 Thanks for making me jealous of not having a full squish (I am too nervous to make jumps like ya'll did due to having a hardtail; dont want to screw up my wheels (29er)). Wish I would have more money to buy a 26 Full Susp

#2 What trails were most of those? It looks somewhat like BCGB, but I normally drop in at 360 and go to Zilker. I went from 360 left (towards HOL) but got a flat about 1 mile in (not enough psi)

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    wicked nice vid there Lakesnake!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gedemer View Post
    #1 Thanks for making me jealous of not having a full squish (I am too nervous to make jumps like ya'll did due to having a hardtail; dont want to screw up my wheels (29er)). Wish I would have more money to buy a 26 Full Susp

#2 What trails were most of those? It looks somewhat like BCGB, but I normally drop in at 360 and go to Zilker. I went from 360 left (towards HOL) but got a flat about 1 mile in (not enough psi)
    BCGB. There's about 30 miles worth but took me many years to find it all. The main BCGB is the access road to all good things. If you are climbing stupid steep rocky stuff, you are headed in the right direction, left or right.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Perhaps I'm missing something but although Pete is ascerbic his advice is correct. Going to undelete his comments as they are true.

Thom - hope you don't take personal offence to this. Chum - if the policy is to ban Pete then that's fine too and I'll reverse the restorations

OP there is a sticky on this forum with many useful threads on how to use and mount the GoPro as well as other cameras with different form factors. You'll have to do some leg work and reading on the different threads/discussions
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/