Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Go Pro Hero 4 - Oct. 5th

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Francis Cebedo 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I stumbled upon this video. Seems like a pretty good guy.

The one spec I wished they would have introduce was the ability to link with ANT+ sensors. I think that would have been enough to make me add a new one. Without it, I might wait. I still don't have the realistic means to edit 4k video.

#7 ·
In my opinion, the 4 Black doesn't offer much to me since I have a Hero 3 black and Hero 3+ silver. The largest sector of GoPro users post videos to Youtube and other web video sites which for the most part rules out shooting in 4K.

I am not saying 4K is not cool to shoot and view - just that right now it is not the norm for video shooting and viewing online. In a few years, that probably will change and also in a few years the newer GoPro's will be out.

I would of liked GoPro to really amp up the lower resolutions 1080p and 720p to make it alot more practicable (ie 240 or 480fps to get some sick slo-mo). The inclusion of built-in LCD screen on the silver but not the black is also puzzling in two ways. 1) Why would you not put that on your top of the line camera but only leave it for the next step down and 2) Will you be able to use the battery bacpac from the Hero 3 line on them?

If they ever go internal battery only, they will screw themselves in the foot. For long day of filming, extra batteries are a must.

I don't plan on going Hero 4. If I were to add another camera, I would most likely get another 3+ silver and sell my original Hero HD.

#11 ·
. . . The inclusion of built-in LCD screen on the silver but not the black is also puzzling in two ways. 1) Why would you not put that on your top of the line camera but only leave it for the next step down . . .
Just learned that the reason the 4 Black does not have the built in LCD is due to heat build up that would render the display inoperable when shooting in 4K. I also read that users are only getting ~30 minutes run time filming in 4K.

#9 ·
I just fear GoPro will suffer from the too big for their britches syndrome that alot of companies suffer when they start getting too successful. When it gets to where it is obvious they are after milking the customer, then it goes downhill from there.

#13 ·
I'm curious how much better the sensor/lens is over the previous black model. Also, I don't need/use 4K, except in the rare case when I use it to capture a long stream of stills (15 frames per second is pretty good).

If the image quality is significantly better, I'd go for the silver model (have the 3 black right now)

Don't think this update was aimed at consumers, actually. I think it was aimed at the competition, trying to stay out front. We'll see, it's not a cheap camera any more.

#14 ·
I think the 4 Black is aimed at "Prosumers". For true pros that use it for profession, its cheap for what you're getting. For high end consumer market it'll still sell.
For the mid market you've got the silver, prob what most "consumer" market will get.
And then they got their new entry level.
I'd say they covered their bases pretty well.

#15 ·
I'm in the market for one and am debating between the black and silver . . . this will be my first action cam, and to be honest, am unsure how often I will really use it. It would also not be just dedicated for biking, and would also be used on vacations, etc. I truly don't know if the LCD display is really all that appealing, and I've read that it drains battery without an option to turn it off (note, not sure on the validity of that claim though). I also heard that in order to use it, you have to use an "open" backdoor (for obvious reasons) which increases elemental vulnerability.

On the other hand, its $100 less and I HIGHLY doubt I'd ever shoot anything in 4K . . . kinda torn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.