mtbr member

Go-Pro HD Lens Fog?

Have a new G-P HD and took it skiing the other day. Spring like conditions so not sure why the protective case would let moisture inn?/Fog over the lens (playback look like I was in a cloud) Had the fully enclosed back on the unit. So I returned it to REI thinking it was defective and got another one. Well just went for a ride yesterday in Mid 60's temp/sunny sky's, and the same thing. Fog in the convex lens. So has anyone had this problem? Going to ride with the open back case today to see if it reappears. Thinking the unit needs a little air flow?

mtbr member
    Rode with the vented back and no Fog.

No, that's not phonetic
    Cold air can hold less moisture than warm air. When you take your camera out of your warm house into a cold environment, water in the air inside the camera housing wants to condense, so as the camera cools off you will get fog inside. If you open your camera housing and let the condensation dissipate (should only take a few seconds), you should be ok for the rest of the day or until the temps change dramatically. This is the same as using the vented back, except the vented back will allow water and crud into your camera all day long.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had the same issues when I took mine snowboarding and surfing. Very annoying when you have to keep taking your helmet off to see if the housing is fogged over. I contacted GoPro and they suggested blowdrying the housing to eliminate any moisture before you seal it up. Haven't tried it yet though.
    Ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Cold air can hold less moisture than warm air. When you take your camera out of your warm house into a cold environment, water in the air inside the camera housing wants to condense, so as the camera cools off you will get fog inside. If you open your camera housing and let the condensation dissipate (should only take a few seconds), you should be OK for the rest of the day or until the temps change dramatically. This is the same as using the vented back, except the vented back will allow water and crud into your camera all day long.
    Hey Tscheezy,

First off...miss you over on the Turner board. Man has that place changed, long for the good Ole informative days! Any way, I did just what you described on a ride the other day ( open the case let the air in/fog out and within 10min, it started to reappear.) thing that concerns me is a epic day at Squaw all to be lost in a fog!

No, that's not phonetic
    You may be going through a few temp changes and so each time it cools off, it condenses again. If you can leave the back open for a minute or two and really let the thing equilibrate, it should be good for a while. I had occasional fog issues in the snow too, but opening the back a few times to let the moisture find a new home worked.

I will post a new vid on the Turner forum shortly.

Grams Light Bikes
    GoPro also sells some small anti-fog inserts that might help you? http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php...2&productid=37