mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Give me your opinions..

This was my 1st real attempt at editing using different functions in Windows Live Movie Maker. I am using a Gopro Hero2 set at 960 /48. Mounts used in this video are chesty and seat post (facing rear). I rode by myself so no footage of other riders. I did use a mount on handle bar but the footage was just to shakey so i left it out.
    I do feel the video may be a bit long at just over 8 minutes. It also seems to me that the video quality seems somewhat distorted. Not sure if it was due to setting, editing, user error....IDK.
    check it out and tell me what you think please....

Gopro at Madrone Trail from Scott Stevens on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have concuded that the poor video quality must have something to do with the way I edited the different clips in WLMM or it has something to do with the upload onto Vimeo. I say this because when I play the original footage, before any editing, the picture is crystal clear with no distortion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    awesome video.

mtbr member
    Doesn't seem to be uploaded to Vimeo as HD, which could explain the poor video quality.

It is a popular genre, but my own personal view is that eight minutes of POV video is way too much.
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I liked the soundtrack and transitions you put on the video. The soundtrack background was a good choice. I agree with Outsider that 8 min was way too long for the video...it is very hard to keep a viewers interest past 3 - 5 minutes - in fact - the first 15 seconds is the most critical as that will be when most folks reach for the back button on the browser if they get the feeling the video is boring.

Try to keep your videos 3 - 5 minutes so eliminate alot of the climbing footage...most of the time, that is the most boring footage...unless such footage shows you achieving a huge obstacle or feature that would interest the viewers - you should tailor your video to what you would want to see if you were someone else watching your video.

Watch other folks videos - what do you like about them? What do you not like about them? You will get what makes videos great and what doesn't and then you can implement that into your video creation to improve your videos.

I find that it can be rough trimming the footage down - you have so much footage and you have to decide what stays and what goes... on my videos, 85% of my footage goes and never makes it to the final cut. Alot of good footage but in keeping the video down to 3 - 5 min, you have to cut alot out.

Your chesty mount had good stability as well as the rear footage - the only suggestion is lower the rear camera down to get the crotch out of the video. With a seatpost mounted cam, the occasional crotch shot is unavoidable but you obviously don't want your crotch to be constantly teabagging the viewer.

I didn't think the lighting was too bad...the GoPro 2 does a better job with lighting that the original but if the light is low, you will notice it in either case. It didn't detract from the viewing in my opinion.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Doesn't seem to be uploaded to Vimeo as HD, which could explain the poor video quality.

It is a popular genre, but my own personal view is that eight minutes of POV video is way too much.
    Agreed